SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cutting boards - Plastic vs wood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting boards - Plastic vs wood Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Someone told me they keep a spray jar filled 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar to clean and sanitize their kitchen items.

I don't know about this. Any comments?

By the way, if you want to kill any and all germs, bad cooties and such, get a spray bottle or wipes of Cavicide. This is some effective stuff. However you don't want to eat anything that's been on it.

I used to use it for certain medical equipment in the pharmacy.

CAVICIDE LINK

Vinegar is a good cleaner but it doesn't really kill much bacteria. It's not really that strong of an acid. The sporicide we use in biotech has acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide. It's much stronger than vinegar.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
End grain cutting boards for everything for me. I have one I specifically use for meat that gets boiling water on it followed by Star San sanitizer.

Though I’m a woodworker so they’re relatively inexpensive for me. They also make great Christmas/ birthday gifts.

A year ago I made some endgrain cutting boards using hard maple and jatoba as gifts for family. They use them for decoration in the kitchen but don't want to "mess them up" by actually cutting on them.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't prepare foods that require a cutting board any more, but I think that UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) would make a great cutting board. It is very expensive. I use pieces of it in the garage for backing when using punches to punch holes in leather, rubber, etc. It has some reboundy give, high lubricity, an all around great plastic. I keep a 6" x 12" piece bolted to the corner of my workbench for backing razor knife cutting. For these purposes, you can buy small sample packs of various useful sizes. A 1" x 10" x 24" piece will set you back about $100.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
The BEST cutting board (and cheapest) is polycarbonite (Lexan), literally bullet proof.
Order it from a plastics house or get it from Home Depot. Cut it to 12" by 18" so it fits in the dishwasher. Lasts forever.
Had mine for 18 years; Easy on knives.

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The cutting boards I have liked the best lately aren't exactly either... I've been using Epicurean brand cutting boards, which are made out of a kind of laminated paper board called Richlite.

Cutting on them feels more like cutting on wood than on plastic, but they're thin, go in the dishwasher, and don't warp or crack.

I like them a lot.

I bought one on a whim years ago off a display rack at a grocery store, and it quickly became my favorite and I got a couple more in different sizes.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
I really like my bamboo board. But, I wash it, so not really worried.

Just sharing what I heard from someplace. Supposedly, bamboo is a bad thing for knives as it will dull the edge faster.

I do find the article interesting about wood's anti-bacterial properties.

I also like Jim's point about using alcohol.

I learned about using alcohol to clean toilet seats. I should have picked up on that. But I promise to use two separate bottles.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The article compared these board after being unwashed for three days.
I don't want to eat food from anything that is unwashed for three days.

That's the crux to this whole thing. Rule #1 to operating in a kitchen, wash knives and cutting boards once you're done using them.

As a general rule, I use poly-plastic for meats and wood for veg. Wood looks great and I'll use my biggest board when slicing a roast as there's usually a few pictures get taken.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
So no one here is going to change their cutting practices after reading the OP? Interesting.

I have ALWAYS used wood and won't every change. BTW, in the past I've made my own cutting board out of Hard Maple. While it's a bit hard on the edge of a knife it's easy to touch up a knife and hard maple will last a lifetime.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wood for veggies, poly for meat.

Poly goes in the dishwasher on sanitize setting. And bleach solution sprayed about once per weak.

I'm a huge germaphobe and wouldn't do it any other way.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post