SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hanging Drywall: Do Dimplers Work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging Drywall: Do Dimplers Work? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I have about eight sheets to hang. Sixteen if I do all four walls. Then I doubt I'll ever hang another sheet of drywall in my life. Makes it hard to justify the cost of a dedicated drywall screwgun.

OTOH: I'd like it to go as smoothly as possible. (By not driving heads through the paper and not having to go back over them with a regular screw driver to sink 'em further.)

So do those drywall dimplers for regular drills/drivers work? And, if so, which works the best?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The one's I've picked up at a local lumberyard worked well. I would imagine they're all pretty much the same and pop into a 1/4" impact.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, they work great. I have the DeWalt one, but haven't tried any of the others. So long as they are adjustable for depth, they will work fine.

I used mine for a full basement remodel; walls and ceiling. Worked fine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some of my guys like em, some of them don't.

(Real helpful, I know) Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've used them with great results YMMV. My dad manages to still drive the screw through the paper with one of those bits...lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoothing our nails or screws is the easy part. Leveling tape joints is the skill work.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll give 'em a try.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
My dad manages to still drive the screw through the paper with one of those bits...lol

Trick seems to be to use a drill, rather than a driver. Preferably a drill with a clutch.

I'll experiment with a sacrificial piece.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have one. Haven't used it since cordless drills got so nice. A cordless drill allows enough control that you don't punch through the paper.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Have you looked to see if there is a tool rental business near where you live.
Also check local pawn shops. They will sometimes have good deals on used tools.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
The dry bits limit the depth Can’t go too deep. They have a hood around the tip that limits depth.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Near Toledo? You can borrow my drywall gun.

18Z50

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
One tip I’ll give as an amateur, get your drywall as even as possible by shimming. It will require less mud to cover, will dry faster due to less mud and makes it all easier.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
The dry bits limit the depth Can’t go too deep. They have a hood around the tip that limits depth.

These will work for hanging a few sheets. They wear out rather quickly due to the way they cam out of the screw. A box of a dozen is around $7 or so. Just toss them and replace when they stop performing.

See here

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I'm in Metamora if you want borrow my drywall screw gun.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional comments, suggestions, and particularly for the offers to loan me a drywall screwgun!

I'll just go with a set of the dimplers. For the $5 for a package of four, it's the easiest, most economical way to go, really. Heck, driving even to only Dearborn would probably cost me that much in gasoline Smile

mrvmax: Thanks for the hanging tip. I'll do that!

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
One tip I’ll give as an amateur, get your drywall as even as possible by shimming. It will require less mud to cover, will dry faster due to less mud and makes it all easier.

Whoooo, boy - this in spades! If you can, hang the pieces touching the ceiling first. If you're going to do trim at the floor, you can hide some of the slop under the trim and nobody will ever be any the wiser.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

Whoooo, boy - this in spades! If you can, hang the pieces touching the ceiling first. If you're going to do trim at the floor, you can hide some of the slop under the trim and nobody will ever be any the wiser.

They make this vinyl U-channel stuff specifically for keeping drywall off concrete floors. I expect that'll do the job nicely Smile

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yes. they work.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update: So I stopped by Home Depot (of course) and picked up a set of four DeWalt drywall dimpler bits for $5 & change, plus a 2x2 piece of drywall with which to experiment.

Yup: They work, and they work well Smile

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Next.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post