SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why bagels are boiled
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why bagels are boiled Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These days mostly bagels are steamed, then baked.

I was, at one point, a certified baker (by Panera.)

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Never knew baked goods can be boiled prior to baking.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:

The lye is important, too.

Every good bagel can trace its ancestry, as it were, back, somewhere, to a Yiddish speaker. (Where I grew up that meant old Polish Jews.) You grow up in a neighborhood with old Yids, (you know what an alter kaker is) you know what true bagels are.

The legacy of how to make them can be handed down and taught, but it always traces back to quaint Central European folkways.

That second article has got it mostly right. But a few clarifications and corrections:

A good bagel has a life of a few hours at most (like 2, not 6) from the oven before it's no longer fresh. A good bagel bakery will *throw away* bagels that get that old. Or quietly sell them to a nearby hotel or something. So if the bagel is more than 2 hours old, toasting becomes acceptable.

Pumpernickel bagels, and the inclusion of caraway seeds, are questionable, like fusion cuisine. So don't do it.

He only ok'ed cinnamon raisin bagels because he wishes to continue engaging in marital congress. They're not OK. Wink

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

True indeed. As if says in the second article I linked, you have to search for a one-store bakery that utilizes the boiling method.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
A lot of truth in that second article. I miss being able to get a decent bagel down here vs in NJ.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

These days, most bagels suck. I guess this explain why. Boiling them in lye is a crucial step.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
A lot of truth in that second article. I miss being able to get a decent bagel down here vs in NJ.

My wife is a non practicing Jew. She claims she has had a real bagel since moving from Brooklyn. Nothing beats a Jewish deli in NYC.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
If ever in Vegas, the Bagel Cafe is the only game in town for a "real bagel".

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
I worked (briefly) in a busy bagel shop/deli when I was in high school. I spent time in Florida when I was a kid, but I never truly knew heat or humidity until I spent a few months helping to make bagels over a Dallas summer.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Same process for soft pretzels too.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it is something about the water or what, but there is nothing like a NY or NJ bagel from a Jewish bakery/deli,seriously. In Fl. it is hard to find a good bagel shop, especially when I hear people rant and rave about Dunkin Donuts bagels.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There aren't many good bagels in Houston.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
For those of you in southeast MI, New York Bagel in Royal Oak is the real deal. My Miami native wife (where half of New York's Jews spend the winter) says they are as good as any she has had back home.

We have sold them at our farm market stand for the past several years. I pick them up right out of the oven (right next to the boiling water bath) at 02:00 and have them back and ready for my wife ot leave for the market at 04:00. Spend 2 hours driving back from the Detroit burbs with 30 dozen hot from the oven bagels sometime Big Grin. Of course I do some quality control on the way back.

Only do that once a month as it's a 4 hour round trip.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:

Never was there a greater truth about food,

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Some How It's Made type show I saw said the water in Brooklyn has a lot to do with what it takes to make a legit Bagel. They do seem to taste different there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Some How It's Made type show I saw said the water in Brooklyn has a lot to do with what it takes to make a legit Bagel. They do seem to taste different there.

Get outa town Confused

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same with pizza crust.

I don't remember what it is exactly, but this has been looked at and, supposedly, corroborated.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Word for word in agreement with him. Until I came across his bagel hierarchy •Cinnamon Raisin•. Get the fuck out of here, losses half his credibility points there.

We have a decent place near us, not excellent but decent. Bagel Café in Herndon VA, we go there at least once a month, some periods every weekend. I know of no excellent place around here to get a bagel sadly.

If you want to be cheap you go in the afternoon and all the bagels are half price if you buy a dozen. Also half quality, but you can freeze them and have them for breakfast if you want something better than a Lender's during the week.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:

Get outa town Confused

Water is piped to Brooklyn from Breikhat Hashiloah, just outside of the old city, and the water originates from Mayan ha'Gihon.

Pretty sure it's a true story...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post