SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lespedeza is a vile weed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lespedeza is a vile weed. Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
It is a plague here. The farmer who leases my land for hay spent lots of monet and time peparing my fields for fescue 15 years ago.

Now those fields are 70% lespederza, his cows eat it as hay, but not they don't really want it. He has sprayed all the fields several times, and cannot eradicate it. Growing up, I never saw ithere, after the Highway Dept started using it in their seeding and reseeding on road work, it showed up everywhere and spreads like crazy.

15 years is about as long as you can expect a hay field to contain all of what you want, it's probably time to kill it all and replant

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I did a bit of research. Yeah, Lespedeza looks like it can be difficult to control.

Try entering "Lespedeza site:lawnsite.com" into your favourite search engine and read. It might take formulating your own from two products. Don't forget the surficant.

For my Nimblewill/Nimbleweed problem I broke down and bought 8 oz. of Tenacity from an Amazon seller. $60, but it'll last me for its shelf life and nothing else gets that weed, short of killing everything and reseeding.

Besides: It'll also nail the bit of wild violet in the lawn, and I can use it as a pre-emergent when I seed bare spots.

Good luck with your Lespedeza problems, guys.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
can you smoke it?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
My whole yard is moss, wild violets, mixed native grass, dandelions, green onions, clover, etc. I don't think I have any fescue, bermuda, etc.

It's all green stuff that grows and I cut it every now and then. Why fight nature ?

been my motto for years,.

if it is green, it is good,

however it drives my wife nuts, and she wants to have the golf course lawn without paying for an irrigation system and a yard lackey or company to take care of it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
... she wants to have the golf course lawn without paying for an irrigation system and a yard lackey or company to take care of it,

Ain't gonna happen.

Even with an irrigation system; regular, on-time cutting; fertilizing; judicious application of no less than three, going on four hebicides, and me spending a reasonable amount of time working on it: Our lawn is looking only marginally better than "mostly green stuff that's mostly green most of the time."

Once I knock most of the undesirable crap back, I'll de-thatch and overseed (change sprinkler schedule to a 50% duty cycle seven days a week until it takes). Then, after the last leaf cleanup, put down a high-K fall feeding.

Come spring and early summer: Pre-emergent weed treatment (twice--three months apart, starting as soon as the soil hits 50°F), spring feeding, GrubEx.

By then it may start looking like something in which a man might take a bit of pride.

And I'll still have to spot-treat with post-emergent on an on-going basis.

I used to laugh at those guys that obsessed over their lawns, now I are one Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post