SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dust Duputy on a 55 gallon drum.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dust Duputy on a 55 gallon drum. Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted
I finally got my dust deputy installed on a 55 gallon drum. I had been using a 5 gallon bucket. If you use a planer it fills up so fast. I was a little concerned it wouldn't work right with that big of a barrel. I guess I haven't filled it full yet, but so far it’s working much better than expected. I am getting nothing at all in my shop vac. I ended up making a circle cutting jig for my router. I have a small shop under my single car garage so the only real con is that it takes up a lot of room.

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/Dc9aV

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Nice!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It looks good. My brother is looking at a hobby CNC router or a laser. I will have him check out your thread.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've been watching videos on dust collection on YouTube. It seems a lot of folks use the shop vac/dust deputy for portable dust collecting and then step up to a fixed-in-place system with the harbor freight 2HP dust collector and a super dust deputy. I have been balking but figure I need a shop vac even if I get the big system. I'm probably also going to stick it on a 55 gallon drum. Thanks for the images!

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
It looks good. My brother is looking at a hobby CNC router or a laser. I will have him check out your thread.
I've found that laser is wildly expensive for getting something that will do real work. I decided to go with CNC routing and picked up a Nextwave CNC Piranha FX to learn on. I'll eventually build something large enough for full plywood panels.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
He's been doing his homework learning about the routers and lasers. Im still waiting to hear which one he gets.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Nice job! I like your circle cutting jig as well.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Nice work. I should keep my shop that clean!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Nice job! I like your circle cutting jig as well.

Thanks!

I got the idea here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsV-84kjnVY&t=6s

Here are some pics of mine. I also made an additional slider for bigger cut outs.
https://imgur.com/a/lRMje

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Trust me it's a curse Big Grin

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I use one on a blast cabinet. It's amazing how well it works. Even after months, the vac filter is clean.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so the blue barrel gets full, not the shop vac.
Right?

but the shop vac filters out the fine stuff?

does the whit thing do anything ?
or is it just a fitting?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
We used a 12 Ft. diameter high efficiency dust collecting cyclone in our wood products plant. Sawdust, especially dry hardwoods can be very abrasive. Please keep us informed as to how well your mini cyclone stands up to it.
BTW, you’ll be pleasantly surprised how well those things can separate the wood waste from the conveying air.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

i wish my house was that clean YIKES just kidding don't tell the wife i said that Wink

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Right?

or is it just a fitting?
The cone is a cyclone that separates out a majority of the dust into the 55GD.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right?

Correct, it also stops the shop vac filter from getting clogged.

quote:
or is it just a fitting?

I used 2" PVC couplers, and 90's to mate up the the DD, Shop Vac, and the expandable hose I used to run the vac to the dust deputy.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
That sucks.

quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
i wish my house was that clean YIKES just kidding don't tell the wife i said that Wink

Big Grin

Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I recently bought a 3hp dust collector by Onieda. I ran 6" duct to my tools and/or where my tools are going to be.

Glad to hear your setup is working well for you.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post