SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Harry Dean Stanton
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Harry Dean Stanton Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He will be missed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Man that sucks. Ill always remember him from Red Dawn and Escape from NY, also The Green Mile as the jail trustee.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Stanton was a great character-actor, he will be missed.

"And one more thing . . . don't call-me, Harold!"

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Frown RIP

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My wife's friend that worked in the movie business said he was one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. RIP sir.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
Two scenes of his that I was blown away by were Travis in "Paris, Texas" and Saul/Paul in "The Last Temptation of Christ".

The monologue "I knew these people" in "Paris, Texas" is so haunting and lonely.

And the way he spoke to Jesus, insisting that it doesn't matter that Jesus chose wrongly, because he believed in the Christ who is risen.

And who can forget his small, but soulful part in Red Dawn, "Boys!.....avenge me! Avenge me!"

Great actor. RIP

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/evncErSKu6w" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

And Sam Shepard, who wrote "Paris, Texas", passed a little over a month ago. I hope they are putting on one heck of a show in heaven.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I recall a funny line he spoke in the TV show 2 1/2 Men when asked how he felt. "Like boiled crap". I stole it and used that line myself several times since. What a great actor, may he REST IN PEACE.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
RIP, Maestro. Any man who can share a screen with Adrienne Barbeau's...with Adrienne Barbeau and still get my attention had to be pretty dang good.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
HDS was one of the good ones.

His performance of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" in Cool Hand Luke is my all time favorite of a wonderful song.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed his performance in "Kelly's Heroes"; great down home performance!

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
He made me laugh a little too hard with his janitor role in The Green Mile.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Cool Hand Luke is coming on TCM in less than an hour.

Here's a recent thread on Harry:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0090924?r=7480090924

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
Two of my favorites of his were the part in Red Dawn and as the diesel mechanic in Down Periscope.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
HDS was one of the good ones.

His performance of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" in Cool Hand Luke is my all time favorite of a wonderful song.

Mine too

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
God speed, you will be missed.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A short tribute video. I need to look for Wiseblood.

https://youtu.be/HfFyoNdgwn4

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I always liked his dirt poor bad boy parts he played on Gunsmoke. There's one with him and Claude Aikens abusing a girl named Belle in her shack. They abuse Matt Dillon for a little while too.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
He finally got his wife's car out of that shitty neighborhood.

RIP Mr Stanton.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post