SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Harry Dean Stanton
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Harry Dean Stanton Login/Join 
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted
Harry Dean Stanton has passed away at the age of 91. So many great roles.

Harry Dean Stanton, Character Actor Who Became a Star, Dies at 91

quote:
Harry Dean Stanton, the gaunt, hollow-eyed, scene-stealing character actor who broke out of obscurity in his late 50s in two starring movie roles and capped his career with an acclaimed characterization as a corrupt polygamist on the HBO series “Big Love,” died on Friday in Los Angeles. He was 91.

His death, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, was confirmed by his agent, John S. Kelly.

Mr. Stanton spent two decades typecast in Hollywood as cowboys and villains before his unusual talents began to attract notice on the strength of his performances in the movies “Straight Time” (1978); “Alien,” “Wise Blood” and “The Rose” (all 1979); and “Escape From New York” (1981).

In those roles — as a former criminal bored in the law-abiding world, a 22nd-century space traveler, a street preacher pretending to be blind, a devastatingly cruel country-music star and a crazed demolitions expert — his look and his down-home voice were the same, but his characters were distinct and memorable.

Vincent Canby wrote in The New York Times in 1978 that Mr. Stanton’s “mysterious gift” was “to be able to make everything he does seem immediately authentic.” The critic Roger Ebert once wrote that Mr. Stanton was one of two character actors (the other was M. Emmet Walsh) whose presence in a movie guaranteed that it could not be “altogether bad.”

But he remained largely unknown to the general public until 1984, when the seemingly impossible, or at least the unexpected, happened: Mr. Stanton, the quintessential supporting player, became a leading man.

That year he starred as a wandering amnesiac reunited with his family in Wim Wenders’s “Paris, Texas,” which won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, and as a fast-talking automobile thief training Emilio Estevez in the ways of his world in Alex Cox’s cult comedy “Repo Man.”

If there was any remaining doubt about his newly attained star status, it was eliminated in 1986 when he was invited to host “Saturday Night Live.”

Mr. Stanton was never anonymous again, although he continued to make his contributions almost entirely in supporting roles. He played Molly Ringwald’s underemployed father in the teenage romance “Pretty in Pink” (1986), the apostle Paul in Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation of Christ” (1988), a private eye in David Lynch’s “Wild at Heart” (1990), a judge in Terry Gilliam’s “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” (1998), the hero’s ailing brother in Mr. Lynch’s “The Straight Story” (1999), a veteran inmate cheerfully testing the electrocution equipment in “The Green Mile” (1999) and Charlie Sheen’s father in “The Big Bounce” (2004).

Mr. Stanton was cast in one of his best-known roles when he was almost 80: that of Roman Grant, a self-proclaimed prophet with 14 wives, on “Big Love,” HBO’s acclaimed series about the everyday lives of polygamists. After his character was killed in the Season 3 finale in 2009, he joked that the show had generated more response than anything else he had done, “except for a couple hundred other movies.”

Mr. Stanton had an impressive singing voice and toured with a male chorus early in his career. He first sang on screen in “Cool Hand Luke” (1967), doing three numbers, including the hymn “Just a Closer Walk With Thee.” He later formed the Harry Dean Stanton Band, which played rock, blues, jazz and Tex-Mex numbers in Los Angeles nightclubs and on tour.

In 2014 he released an album, “Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction,” consisting of songs he sang on the soundtrack of a documentary about him by the same name.

Mr. Stanton remained busy to the end. He had small roles in the 2012 movies “The Avengers” and “Seven Psychopaths” and was in episodes of the HBO series “Getting On” in 2013 and 2014. This year, he appeared in a few episodes of “Twin Peaks: The Return” and starred in the feature film “Lucky,” scheduled for release this month. He plays a hard-bitten 90-year-old atheist in the movie, which also stars Mr. Lynch.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah loved Cool Hand Luke. Great voice and character actor.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Man, the good ones are leaving us for good Frown

Too many great roles and films; Cool Hand Luke, Repo Man, Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid, Alien, Kelly's Heroes, The Missouri Breaks, Escape From New York,Paris Texas, and so many more. And his countless guest shots in TV shows. He has worked with so many of films greatest directors, Coppola, Scorsese, Peckinpah, Ridley Scott, David Lynch, Robert Altman, etc.

A guy that used to room with Jack Nicholson, he was one the greatest character actors in the business. It's sad because of these great entertainers that we enjoyed from the 60s-70s are now dying off. IMO, the new ones don't measure up worth spit.

quote:
If there was any remaining doubt about his newly attained star status, it was eliminated in 1986 when he was invited to host “Saturday Night Live.

I've seen this one a number of times, simply because the line up of Stanton, The Replacements (the notoriously alcoholic, self destructive rock band) and Sam Kinnison was a powderkeg of a line up that could screw up the show, and they certainly did their best, pissing off all involved in the show, including Lorne Michaels and Al Franken. The legend is that The Replacements snuck in a road case full of booze into the their dressing room, and had Stanton drop by to get drunk before airtime. Great story.

RIP Harry Dean.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wish he could have gone on for another 10 years.

So many films

I'm gonna miss him.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what a great run though, as good as he was in the movies, he had many many good roles in more than a few tv shows.

I think I posted here a while back that I saw him in four roles in one day on four tv shows.

I gotta wonder if he had a publicist for his first 25 years in the business.

trying to find a picture of him with any co-stars is a tough go.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I read that earlier today

very sad

RIP Mr. Stanton - you left us with some great characters

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Boys, Avenge me!

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I was just checking out his IMDB entry. He's always been a favorite but damn... this man never even slowed down. Even at 91 he had just completed another film.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I was a fan. RIP, Harry Dean

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr. Stanton...you had a such a great run and played so many excellent roles...you will be missed Frown ...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The life of a repo man is always intense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
So long, and thanks for all you gave us... Frown

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
RIP, he was a great one. I just watched Escape from New York last night.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Wow, he went with Rebecca De Mornay for a couple of years. That is something right there Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Character actors like him are rare. RIP. He was great.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I just saw this. I too will miss him and yes, he had a great singing voice.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, One of the great ones. The length and breadth of his career is amazing.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
He was one of my favorites. I too remember him singing in Cool Hand Luke. He will be missed for sure. RIP sir.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Two scenes of his that I was blown away by were Travis in "Paris, Texas" and Saul/Paul in "The Last Temptation of Christ".

The monologue "I knew these people" in "Paris, Texas" is so haunting and lonely.

And the way he spoke to Jesus, insisting that it doesn't matter that Jesus chose wrongly, because he believed in the Christ who is risen.

And who can forget his small, but soulful part in Red Dawn, "Boys!.....avenge me! Avenge me!"

Great actor. RIP

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post