SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Consequences of shooting someone in your home {other than emotional and legal}
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Consequences of shooting someone in your home {other than emotional and legal} Login/Join 
posted
I can think of several the first being financial. I learned on Sig Forum that the cleanup aka biohazard mitigation may be covered by homeowners which is a good thing. If the homeowner decides to move he is likely to take a financial hit. I also think of possible permanent hearing loss from firing an AR indoors. Are the perps gang members with friends who may seek revenge? Other thoughts?

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Another expense is whatever gets hit by the rounds that are fired. One of my best friends was asleep when his brother murdered his cousin in their kitchen. Their oven saved my friends life by absorbing the buck shot rounds that passed through the victim. His bedroom was next to the kitchen. It was a horrible mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I can think of several the first being financial. . .

The financial problems are likely to be MUCH bigger than taking a loss on your home sale, paying for the cleanup (whether insured or not), and buying/living with hearing aids for the rest of your life.

You're likely looking at $50K to $100K in legal fees for criminal court, and that's only if it was a good shoot.

And regardless of whether or not it was a righteous shoot, you're probably going to get sued in civil court. That'll blow another $50K to $100K in legal fees PLUS everything else you ever have or will earn if you lose the suit.

Have you got insurance? You better have!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Someone has to clean up the mess. Then there's living in the home, which could be emotional or financial.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If we're talking about the shooting of a stranger who broke into someone's house, I think your overstating the likelihood of criminal and/or civil liability. This is the one area where the laws of self defense are pretty clear cut. Yes it is possible to have legal issues in this type of situation. But the likelihood is somewhat low, certainly lower than a shooting by a CCW holder in public.

quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I can think of several the first being financial. . .

The financial problems are likely to be MUCH bigger than taking a loss on your home sale, paying for the cleanup (whether insured or not), and buying/living with hearing aids for the rest of your life.

You're likely looking at $50K to $100K in legal fees for criminal court, and that's only if it was a good shoot.

And regardless of whether or not it was a righteous shoot, you're probably going to get sued in civil court. That'll blow another $50K to $100K in legal fees PLUS everything else you ever have or will earn if you lose the suit.

Have you got insurance? You better have!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why does this keep getting repeated? In many (most) of the stories where an invader is shot in someone's home and it is, as you say a "good shoot" charges are not brought. Where are $50,000-$100,000 in legal fees being spent?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Even in a good shoot situation.

You're going to loose possession of the gun until the investigation is completed and a judge releases the evidence.

You probably need legal representation because there will be some DA that will need to evaluate possible criminal charges and you are going to have to interact with the legal system. Unless it's really cut and dried, depending on location, that DA may decide to persue some charge.

Deplending on location, you may very well end up in jail until LE determines you don't need to be held or bond is set and paid.

You very well may need representation for any civil suit that follows up when the BG's relatives smell a chance for a payday.

Location can make any of these better or worse. Think rural Texas or liberal big city.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Many States have civil protections for frivolous suits brought up against a good shoot.

Plaintiff has to pay legal fees for the defendant in Florida. Plaintiff has to prove innocence of the shootee in essence, going against police determinations, and DA.

It keeps the ambulance chasers out of it for the most part.

There was a shooting in the front yard of someone trying o break in. Killed them.

Deputies determined there was no crime committed by the victim, returned the firearm on site.

No need o collect evidence where there is no crime.

Depends on where you live but in Florida, especially the Red counties, your consequences are there, but seldom if ever as dire as people say. Especially the ones trying to separate you from your dollars.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
The financial problems ... You're likely looking at $50K to $100K in legal fees ... you're probably going to get sued in civil court.
Jerry "Deputy Dog" Wink Jones, who has actual experience from the LE side of this coin, has addressed this, and de-bunked it, in the other thread.

Many states have statutes that specifically disallow civil suits in self-defense scenarios where there are no criminal violations by the defending shooter.

The worries about huge legal fees are bogus in these situations. Even if they're real, what's the alternative? Maybe don't bother to try to defend yourself, because of the possibility of a law suit? Just let the bad guys, who have already demonstrated that they are violent by crashing into your home, do whatever they want to do? Let them kill you? Yeah, that would be a good way to avoid a lawsuit: you're already dead, so it's kind of hard to serve you with paperwork for a lawsuit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let me ask you guys- If someone told you that there was usually a high financial tariff for having to shoot someone in defense of your life or property, would you hesitate to act at the critical moment, due to this information?

Defend yourself, defend your loved ones, defend your homes. Don't mind-fuck yourself into hesitating at the critical moment.

This blather about how much it costs you yadda yadda- this stuff does you no good. It can only hurt you.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
EXACTLY!! What's the saying? "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"? Not gonna think one second about it. I'm pulling the trigger and screw the consequences. I think some of y'all might be watching too much Matlock. Just kidding...sorta.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Police officers have died because of this stuff. They hesitated at the critical moment for fear of job loss, criminal charges or civil litigation.

This is not an exaggeration. People have died because of these concerns. Get your priorities in order.

There is a video on youtube which shows this very thing- a police officer shot to death because he hesitated, and woe unto the member who dares post that video in this thread, because seeing it once is more than enough.

FBHO
posted Hide Post
My immediate safety is first and foremost, everything else is irrelevant.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Tools borrowed by neighbors will suddenly be returned Big Grin

One thing not mentioned is that you might have limited or no access to your house while the scene is processed.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
ou might have limited or no access to your house while the scene is processed.
If you don't defend yourself, you still might have access to your house. Once.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good client/friend of mine that lives just down the road from me shot, and killed, a man trying to steal his service truck. This was about 3 years ago in west Texas.

He did not have to go the sheriff's office, much less jail, and the deputies did not take his gun.

I'm pretty confident the same thing would happen to me seeing I live in the same county, and when the Sheriff's horses are sick or injured he calls me.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by horsedoc:I'm pretty confident the same thing would happen to me seeing I live in the same county, and when the Sheriff's horses are sick or injured he calls me.

Tommy

Probably. I'd imagine a whole bunch of things come into play. If the police arrive at an upper middle class home and a middle aged guy and his wife with no previous LE contact are standing over the body of a known criminal and the door frame is splintered, it is likely to play out differently than a room full of n'er do wells with drug paraphernalia claiming they were attacked.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by horsedoc:I'm pretty confident the same thing would happen to me seeing I live in the same county, and when the Sheriff's horses are sick or injured he calls me.

Tommy

Probably. I'd imagine a whole bunch of things come into play. If the police arrive at an upper middle class home and a middle aged guy and his wife with no previous LE contact are standing over the body of a known criminal and the door frame is splintered, it is likely to play out differently than a room full of n'er do wells with drug paraphernalia claiming they were attacked.

I was certainly basing this off of the presumption of a "righteous" shoot.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF and I have considered the consequences. We've determined that deadly force is our policy in the face of a threat. Of course we can't predict how things will turn out, but I'm not interested in shooting someone over stuff. Take it and leave. But if you square off at me or us, you gotta go in the ground.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By the way, to the member who just now reported this topic to me, can you not see that I am already aware of this thread? Also, you're going to want to keep remarks about "forum standards" to yourself. If you want to report a thread or post, stick to the facts and leave the opinions and editorializing out of it.

You should never feel the need, guys, to report a thread to me if you see that I'm already in the damn thing.