SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thanksgiving ham question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving ham question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So have a ham and am thinking of a sort of outer type crust on it. How to?

I like ham a bit on the dryer side. But I am talking more about an outer layer that has a burnt ish type glaze. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I've used approx. 70-75% honey and 25-30% mustard (I like dijon for this) slathered on and baked but since the ham is already cooked, by the time the glaze gets good and crusty it can be really dry.
High temps will speed up the effect but you have to keep checking on it often.

It's easier to just to use a propane torch like I've seen used out back of the Honey Glazed Ham store.
(not sure I was SUPPOSED to see that)

Bring the meat up to the temp you want, slop on the mixture and 'flame on' to desired effect. It's a LOT easier to control...and more fun since full size torches are a guy thing. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
It's easier to just to use a propane torch like I've seen used out back of the Honey Glazed Ham store. (not sure I was SUPPOSED to see that)

Bring the meat up to the temp you want, slop on the mixture and 'flame on' to desired effect. It's a LOT easier to control...and more fun since full size torches are a guy thing. Wink
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...280035334#2280035334

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
It's easier to just to use a propane torch like I've seen used out back of the Honey Glazed Ham store. (not sure I was SUPPOSED to see that)

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...280035334#2280035334

Big Grin Big Grin
Up the mustard ratio to cut the jelled gasoline taste!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I put a glaze on during cooking. Nearly all glazes have high sugar. You can crank up the heat the last 15 minutes to Carmelize the glaze or I have used a chefs torch to caramelize it just before serving.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bourbon, water and brown sugar. 1/2 oz bourbon to 1 cup of sugar, about half a cup of water. Simmer until it gets thick enough to spread. Bake to taste. Also good on white fish.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Did a brown sugar and honey glaze on mine. Added a bit of ground cloves to it as well.

It was de-lish!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post