SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CNC hobbyist. Build or buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CNC hobbyist. Build or buy? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I've been looking into CNC 3 axis milling for wood and aluminum. Just some fun stuff but if I end up selling some stuff that's cool. I was looking into laser engraving/cutting but it's way out of my price range at this point. This led me to look into routing/milling.

There are some nifty small scale machines for sale but I see a lot of guys online build them.

Why would I choose to buy a turnkey rather than build one (or the reverse)? Is there a huge cost difference? I'd rather build if I get a lot more machine for my money but I also value not being frustrated and not swearing at inanimate objects.

Anyone ever done anything like this that wishes to offer advice to the beginner?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in knowing if you do any actual carving or is this a totally new area you're venturing into?

I'm in the middle of a project for my wife.
I'll end up with 20-ish hours by the time I'm done.
Though I absolutely enjoy the feeling of a blade going thru wood I can see the benefit of the lack of time spent per project for the purpose of retail sales.
I've looked at a few machines at the Woodcraft Store on Bethel red in Columbus, Ohio.
I stop in & drool now & then.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
GrumpyBiker, this is all new for me. I'm more interested in metal work than wood but CNC intrigues me greatly.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I've had my eye on a Shapeoko for quite awhile. I have several projects I need to wrap up before I jump into a CNC hobby.

There are other's out there, but this one looks like it would be the best bang for the buck (at least for me).

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I built one on a grizzly g0704 platform.

I'd put the level of difficulty at about the same level as building a PC, in the 90s before plug n play or standardization.

You'll need to learn CAD/CAM and G-code. A CNC without cad/cam and g-code knowledge isnt all that useful.

Do a search for HossCNC and read up before you spend any money on parts.

I've got about 6k into my g0704 build, not far off the price of a decent small Tormach

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
... I've got about 6k into my g0704 build, not far off the price of a decent small Tormach
Is your build more machine for the money or should I just look into buying a turnkey? I'm not looking to go bananas to start. Just something small.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I've had my eye on a Shapeoko for quite awhile. I have several projects I need to wrap up before I jump into a CNC hobby.

There are other's out there, but this one looks like it would be the best bang for the buck (at least for me).
I'm sort of looking at a Next Wave Pirahna fx. Why did you choose Shapeo?

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have a project looking to partner!
email in profile

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
... I've got about 6k into my g0704 build, not far off the price of a decent small Tormach
Is your build more machine for the money or should I just look into buying a turnkey? I'm not looking to go bananas to start. Just something small.

Yes, it's equivalent to a turnkey mill that's a couple thousand more. But it's a couple thousand more in labor to build it, so maybe a wash as far as price.

The info and experience learned is the biggest benefit.

Not knowing where you stand with CAD/CAM and g-code, I'd start there. If your already a whiz with that stuff, disregard.

If not, download the trial version of mach3 and start familiarizing yourself with the CNC control software.

For cad/cam, download a trial version of turbocad or something similar, and meshcam.

Do this before u spend any money. Most people who have asked me to help them learn CNC have ran screaming the first time they saw what's involved in generating a 50,000 line g-code program. My college engineering program included several semesters of CAD and several more for CAM. It's not something you learn in a few weeks. I've been doing it for years, have built several CNC mschines, and still feel like a novice.

The CAD / CAM can be intimidating. Try a trial version of turbocad (standard type draftingl) and cubify (solid modeling). I had to learn both, AutoCAD (drafting) and Inventor (solid modeling) and each has it's place.

The autocad/turbocad style drafting software is powerful. U could design a spaceship with it, but solid modelers can model some like an engine block in minutes.

For drafting, AutoCAD is the gold standard. Solidworks and inventor compete as the top solid modelers.

And without that g-code file, a CNC is just s manual mill without handwheels on the powerfeed.

Forgive my 8 edits. Everytime I read my own post I find a spot where my droids autocorrect feature "helped" me.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, it's equivalent to a turnkey mill that's a couple thousand more. But it's a couple thousand more in labor to build it, so maybe a wash as far as price.

Not knowing where you stand with CAD/CAM and g-code, I'd start there. If your already a whiz with that stuff, disregard.

If not, download the trial version of mach3 and start familiarizing yourself with the CNC control software.

For cad/cam, download a trial version of turbocad or something similar, and meshcam.

Do this before u spend any money. Most people who have asked me to help them learn CNC have ran screaming the first time they saw what's involved in generating a 50,000 line g-code program. My college engineering program included several semesters of CAD and several more for CAM. It's not something you learn in a few weeks. I've been doing it for years, have built several CNC mschines, and still feel like a novice.

The CAD / CAM can be intimidating. Try a trial version of turbocad (standard type draftingl) and cubify (solid modeling). I had to learn both, AutoCAD (drafting) and Inventor (solid modeling) and each has it's place.

The autocad/turbocad style drafting software is powerful. U could design a spaceship with it, but solid modelers can model some like an engine block in minutes.

For drafting, AutoCAD is the gold standard. Solidworks and inventor compete as the top solid modelers.

And without that g-code file, a CNC is just s manual mill without handwheels on the powerfeed.

Forgive my 8 edits. Everytime I read my own post I find a spot where my droids autocorrect feature "helped" me.
Excellent advice. Thank you! I'm not doing anything mission critical but I would like to do it right the first time.

The only sort of CAD I've used is Eagle by Autodesk for building circuits and laying out PCBs.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Excellent advice. Thank you! I'm not doing anything mission critical but I would like to do it right the first time.

The only sort of CAD I've used is Eagle by Autodesk for building circuits and laying out PCBs.

Basically, the CAD software is what you'd use to draw, design and or model the part. You'd then export the part file as soon .stl or .idw file.

Then you'd fire up the CAM software (meshcam, hsm or whatever) and open the .stl file in meshcam.

Meshcam is where you would assign the x, y, z coordinate system, set work limits, select surface features to machine, select tool speeds, feeds, rpm. Diameters, etc. Then u post process that into a g-code file.

Then you save open the g-code file on your CNC machine, which will be running mach3 or similar cnc control software.

Then you'd start the machinist stuff. Touching off the edges, setting the machines physicsl x,y and z axi to match the setup you programmed in CAM.

Next, you press "cycle start", and watch the machine shove a 3/8 endmill through a steel plate because u forgot one single keystoke somewhere Wink

An example of what you'd be doing without CAD/CAM. Simply engraving your first name takes about thousand lines of g-code.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

I'm sort of looking at a Next Wave Pirahna fx. Why did you choose Shapeo?

I've not pulled the trigger on one yet...

I was looking at something with a little bigger foot print (Shapeoko XL - has a cutting area of 33x17x3). I also followed their user forum for quite some time to see how issues are resolved. The company and the forum community are responsive and helpful.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Vcarve desktop seems to be a good software package. Any opinion on it?

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the X Carve?
This link will take you to Peter Parfitt's youtube channel where he has a few videos on his new x carve. If you start to watch any I'll warn you a few hours may pass before you leave. He's very skilled and very pleasant to watch and listen to.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Have you seen the X Carve?
This link will take you to Peter Parfitt's youtube channel where he has a few videos on his new x carve. If you start to watch any I'll warn you a few hours may pass before you leave. He's very skilled and very pleasant to watch and listen to.
Yes, I have looked into it. Looks like a nice machine but a little too limited for what I need to do. I'm planning 3D (or should I say 2.5D) carving on aluminum enclosures.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to buy. After a bit of research and video watching I ordered a CNC Piranha from Next Wave Automation. I've downloaded the trial software and messed around with it a bit. It seems intuitive.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I decided to buy. After a bit of research and video watching I ordered a CNC Piranha from Next Wave Automation. I've downloaded the trial software and messed around with it a bit. It seems intuitive.

Can't wait to see what you make - have fun!

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I think that was the wise move, as you get software that will communicate with your machine. A touch-off plate is nice.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The CNC Piranha machine came in today. Unfortunately, the DB9 connector for the X-axis was crushed. I ordered from Woodcraft.com but they referred me to Next Wave Automation. They are shipping or a new stepper motor with a return label for the one with the damaged connector.

The router didn't come in yet, so I can't do anything with it anyway. I just didn't expect to have to repair a brand be unit. C'est la vie.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I have a project looking to partner!
email in profile
I think I missed this post the first time around. I'll drop you a note.