Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cinco de Mayo Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ya'll bash Cinco De Mayo and have nothing to say about Memorial Day sales by businesses ? WTFO ?

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Ya'll bash Cinco De Mayo and have nothing to say about Memorial Day sales by businesses ? WTFO ?

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis? SF members bash the celebration of Memorial Day as a "holiday" all the time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis? SF members bash the celebration of Memorial Day as a "holiday" all the time.
I would hope so .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You, yes you, are incorrigible!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

You, yes you, are incorrigible!
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Was not even "a thing" in the US until Corona made it into a major marketing campaign strictly to sell more beer. It worked.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We usually go out for Mexican food on March 17th, and visit the Irish Pub on May 5th.

Doesn't mean anything in the long run, but the wait for the tables is much shorter this way.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We Americans did the same thing for Cinco de Mayo as we did for Saint Patrick's Day: took some low key or minor holiday in the host country and turned it into something completely different that everyone thinks is what the host country does, but doesn't in reality.

In Ireland, Saint Patrick's Day was a religious holiday and not even a really big one and we turned it into a drinking fest with phony (I'm looking at you corned beef!) "Irish" food. Roll Eyes

Don't even get me started on the people that say "Happy St Patty's Day" Confused

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there is always Ocho de Mayo

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post