SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone retire from any Armed Forces Reserve?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone retire from any Armed Forces Reserve? Login/Join 
posted
I retired from the Air Force reserve in 2010, with 28 years combined active duty, reserve and activated reserve time. As you may or may not know you don't receive any benefits(pay, insurance, etc.) until you turn 60 yrs old.
I was wondering what to expect in a few years. Do we get Tricare, how do I figure out my retired pay etc. My retiree separation briefing was pretty much you'll figure it out w when the time comes. I have done a few searches on Google for pay, but have found a few different formulas to figure it out, none of which I understood. If someone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired from the IL Air Guard in 2007 at age 57 with about 26 years, three years active and the rest reserve time. I had immediate BX benefits, but it was at age 60 that I got TriCare and the pension. That age 60 may be reduced if you were activated.

TriCare is easier to explain, you can get plain old TriCare (free) or TriCare Prime, which cost me (I think) about $150/month. At 65 (1.5 years ago) it became TriCare for Life which is free, but you HAVE to get Medicare Part B which is about $125 month.

https://www.mytricare.com/mtc/

Retired reserve pay is complicated, based on a formula of good years and points. You need to dig through everything they gave you, there should be an estimate. You'll find more info here:

http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/Service-Center/

My last unit (182AW in Peoria) was great, they held numerous pre-retirement classes I was able to attend. If you're close to your old unit ask if you can sit in on one.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had 11 years AD and 10 in the reserve (CG)...

I get paid when I tunr 60 and can get TRICARE then...

I have no clue how much I will get but I was an E7 (Chief) for my last three years....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is the same as the Army system, you just need to know your points, then there are calculators out there. If you don't have retirement point sheet, you can come up with a really close estimate.

Each active duty day is 1. So multiply your active years (Active duty and active reserve) times 365. A non-active drilling year is typically 60-ish. 4 pts for each month drill plus the 15 days annual training.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum Staff Pilot
posted Hide Post
ARC has a reduced retirement age system in place beginning in 2008. For every 90 days of AD orders in a year, they will reduce the retirement pay age from 60 based on that number of days.

For instance, if you accrued 360 AD points (assuming >90 days per year) you would reduce the beginning age of pay by 1 year to age 59.

Only some Title 32 and Title 10 days count. You need to submit copies of orders to ARPC or the Army Guard equivalent.

Reduced Retirement Age

Posts: 515 | Registered: December 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most important question is: Did you receive a 20 year letter?

It is a letter that states you have 20 qualifying years of military service.Without this there is no retirement. You could have served 28 years, and had 9 years without the minimum required points, and not have a locked in retirement.

Retirement is based, as other have stated on how many points you accrued in your military service.
1 point was awarded for each active duty day, 4 points were awarded for a drill weekend,15 points for each year of membership in a reserve component. The formula uses total points and the grade you retired at. A General will receive much more pay than a Staff Sergeant if both have the same points.

Also when you left the service did you get completely out,or go into the Retired Reserves?
This can make a difference. If you completely discharged,and were not subject to recall your retirement is based on the pay scale of your grade on the date of release.If you entered the Retired reserve your pay is calculated on the pay scale of your grade on the date you are eligible to receive retirement pay.(age 60)
You would also have been subject to recall if needed.

Here is a link that can calculate your benefits:

https://w45.afpc.randolph.af.mil/RetSepCalcNet40/

Also contact your Reserve Component and ask for the Retirement office contact information. You are eligible to get a Retired Reserve ID card for you and your spouse, Commissary benefits and you can get dental insurance for you and your wife through tricare right now.

The Retired Reserve card is pink and when you turn 60 you can get the blue card.

click on this link and look at this chart for the benefits you are eligible for now. it did not display her correctly when I posted it here.

http://www.military.com/benefi...litary-retirees.html

Benefits for "Gray-Area" Military Retirees

Retired Guardsmen and Reservists who have completed their 20 years but are not old enough to collect their retired pay are considered to be in a "Gray Area." This table shows your "gray area" benefits compared to the "full" (active duty retiree) benefits which you and your family will begin to receive or be eligible for upon receipt or retired pay.

SPECIAL NOTE: Ensure that your branch always has your current address so they can mail you your application for retiree pay when you become eligible.
Your Benefits

Posts: 12661 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also http://www.military.com/benefi...erve-retirement.html

When you complete your "good" twenty years (or longer) for retirement, part of your out-processing MUST be obtaining a NEW military ID card reflecting your new status. In some cases, individuals, for various reasons, have missed their out-processing or transition assistance program appointments and not obtained this card. They may not worry about it because they incorrectly believe they have no benefits until age 60. This is not only incorrect, but if DEERS doesn't have their information in their system, it may run afoul when it comes time to apply for your retirement. This is the only place where they have your address! You may not be eligible to purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve health plan (premium based) or TRICARE Young Adult healthcare if you are not enrolled in DEERS.

The "retired reserve" card for Gray Area retirees will be red/dark pink in color.

If you are having trouble at your ID card issuing location explaining what kind of card you need, be sure to mention that it will be a "red card." AMRA has had reports that some ID card office personnel are not familiar with this card and only know it by its color. At that time, also ensure that your Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) records are up to date, reflecting your correct contact information and who all your DEERS-eligible family members are. They may also be eligible for military ID cards; call ahead to find out.

You and any eligible family members/dependents will need to obtain new military ID cards when you reach your "full" retirement age (age 60 for most Guard/Reserve retirees). That date comes faster than you'd like to think! Once again, ensure that your record(s) in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) are updated. You may do this in person at the ID card office, or online at www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect.

At age 60, you are eligible for TRICARE Health Care. If you were covered by civilian health insurance programs provided by your civilian employer while you were in the Gray Area but cancelled them when you became eligible for retirement in anticipation of using TRICARE, ensure that TRICARE is now listed as your primary health care provider in DEERS. Failure to do so may lead to medical billing confusion. If your spouse reaches age 65 before you do, their records will need to be updated as well. TRICARE will NOT pay for any care you or family members receive if you are not correctly enrolled in DEERS.

Finally, at age 65 all military retirees, whether from the Active Duty, Guard or Reserve, are eligible to use Medicare as their primary healthcare and TRICARE for Life (TFL) as their secondary. A new military ID card with "Indefinite" in the expiration box will be required to ensure that DEERS is updated.

posted Hide Post
You must apply for retirement benefits before age 60 and many branches no longer mail applications out. Glad I saw this,because I can draw my retirement in 2 years. If you are a gray area retiree read this:

http://www.amra1973.org/data/f...%20MAY%202015(2).pdf

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
...at age 65 all military retirees, whether from the Active Duty, Guard or Reserve, are eligible to use Medicare as their primary healthcare and TRICARE for Life (TFL) as their secondary. A new military ID card with "Indefinite" in the expiration box will be required to ensure that DEERS is updated.

Very thorough info with one minor nit to pick: at 65 TFL enrollees HAVE to join Medicare Part B and pay for it (about $125/mo). Medicare is always primary payer (unless you're still working and on a work plan), that can save $$ for TFL as secondary.

Not sure where the OP lives, but here's the official method of finding an ID card office and making an appointment. Some sites might let you call or walk in.

https://rapids-appointments.dm...intment/default.aspx

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post