SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's for dinner Thursday?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's for dinner Thursday? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
At least no one has said fava beans and a nice chianti. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Wifey is undecided still.

Chinese restaurant?

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm deep frying a duck!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping for something along the lines of brisket, ribs, or enchiladas.

I like turkey, but just not a whole lot. It's ok but dry and not much flavor IMO.

Everything else on the usual Thanksgiving meal is just fine.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My mother-in-law makes a KILLER stuffing that's got lots of apple, onion and big chunks of sage flavored sausage in it. I've told her on more than one occasion that I'd be perfectly happy if she just served me a big plate of that!

Hmm.
Recipe??

This one looks and sounds like what she makes:

Sage, Sausage and Apple Dressing

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I like turkey, but just not a whole lot. It's ok but dry and not much flavor IMO.

If it's dry, it's been cooked way too long. Turkey need never be dry, not even the breast.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I'm deep frying a duck!

Nice!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

If it's dry, it's been cooked way too long. Turkey need never be dry, not even the breast.
Exactly. If you're having dry turkey it's been cooked way too long. Probably one of the following:
  • Cooked until pop-up thermometer popped. If they work (not know for reliability) they usually pop at 185F but turkey is safe, moist, and delicious at 165F.
  • They used an old cookbook. The USDA used to say safe temperature on a turkey was 180, but they revised it to 165F 7ish years ago. Two years ago we all stood around for an extra hour (the time it took to go from 165 to 180) because our host insisted her 20 year old cookbook was correct on 180F. It was very dry despite being cooked in an oven bag because all of the fat and juice was cooked out of the meat.

I posted a thread last week with recommended leave-in and instant read thermometers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My dog crosses the line
    Picture of Jeff Yarchin
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Tuckerrnr1
    posted Hide Post
    Marinated turkey (sans limbs)then dusted with Applewood rub, wrapped in bacon, placed in smoker and left over marinade poured over and a second dusting of rub.

Spaghetti squash roasted, then removed from shell and add garlic, bacon bits, parmesan cheese, whole kernel corn, a little butter and replaced into the shell and a little mozzarella cheese and back in the oven.

Garden fresh sweet potatoes cubed and dusted with graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar and roasted in the oven.

Corn bread stuffing with Vidalia onion, apple, sausage and baked in muffin tins so everyone gets the toasty bits.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cparktd
    posted Hide Post
    My Daughter brought the green beans today...

... said she put a little bacon in them for flavor.
    That's my girl!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of m1009
    posted Hide Post
    Barbecued ribs, with potato salad, and macaroni salad. Yum! Just me and hubby. Like it nice and quiet.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My hypocrisy goes only so far
    Picture of GrumpyBiker
    posted Hide Post
    A light standard fare.
    Turkey, stuffing, & yams... but I snapped the pic before the yams were ready.
    The wine was a fantastic "tide me over" though. Wink

Happy Thanksgiving SigForum Folks

U.S.M.C.
    VFW-8054
    III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ersatzknarf
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Warhorse:
    Wifey is undecided still.

Chinese restaurant?

What did you folks end up doing?

Confused

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Since it's just my wife & I for Thanksgiving, I only cook turkey with the trimmings about once evry five years or so. My Usual is a seafood boil:
    Dungeness crab
    Patagonia shrimp
    Hot links
    Corn cobettes
    Red potatoes

Leftover crab, shrimp, & sausage is combined with chicken & okra for gumbo.

Bonus:
    Takes ½ hour to boil the water, 25 minutes to cook, and I have one pot to clean:

EDIT: Add dessert--Strawberry/Rhubarb pie covered with summer garden strawberries & whipped cream.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sgt Neutron,

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Seafood salads tonight.

Crab legs, shrimp, prawns, and avocado on shaved romaine. Louis dressing, sourdough, and lemon on the side.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post