SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's for dinner Thursday?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's for dinner Thursday? Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
We always have a big crew for Thanksgiving. This year both of my sons will be here with their girlfriends, can't wait.

Due to my continuing weight loss I switched up the menu this year. Green Bean casserole is out, I'm making healthy collards and roasted Brussel sprouts instead.

Turkey
Ham
Chestnut dressing
gravy
Cranberry sauce
Brussel sprouts
collards
garlic mashed potatoes
rolls
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
fresh whipped cream
Vanilla ice cream

I can enjoy the turkey and vegetables, and berries for dessert, which is just fine.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Turkey
dressing
gravy
Cranberry sauce
Brussel sprouts
rolls
pumpkin pie
fresh whipped cream
Fresh home-made potato dumplings
Probably a glass of wine for the wife

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been dabbling with intermittent fasting lately (for benefits beyond just fat loss), so T-Day dinner will be my first and only meal that day.

Aside from that, my strategy is to load my plate up with the healthy choices (turkey and salad/veggies), then just take a little of the rest of what I want. I never bothered with bread/rolls or the gaggingly sweet yams anyway even before I cared about eating healthy. I'll have a slice of whatever dessert I feel like, just not seconds and misc cookies etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No clue. My contribution is a bottle of wine. Going to grandpa's, wife's, daughter's house. I don't want to, but don't know how many Thanksgivings he has left on this planet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
  • Smoked bone-in turkey breast
  • Stuffing w/ cranberries (I can't stand cranberry sauce but this is delicious way to keep cranberries in Thanksgiving).
  • Thin gravy
  • Mashed tators
  • Whatever other people bring

I also bought the ingredients to turn leftovers into Turkey enchiladas suizas

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    We are doing all the traditional stuff on Friday.
    Thursday I'm smoking a ham. Also putting a large pan of mac and cheese in the smoker with it. Serving it with bourbon glazed carrots and a snickerdoodle apple cobbler for desert.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    Aged ribeye on the grill. Just the wife and I.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    Hot dogs. I'm a traditionalist.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I just don't know. Right now it's probably a PB sandwich, or a dinner at Luby's. I do have a cousin who lives locally and her kids usually gather at her house for holidays, but that cousin just recently moved to an assisted living facility and everything is up in the air at this time. I have a BF up in Denison (65 miles north) that I'd like to visit, but probably wouldn't be doing dinner with them.

Luby's, Golden Corral, and Furr's would have a turkey meal option, I suppose, and there is another very popular independent cafeteria in the city, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    All the normal stuff. I try and fill up on turkey and then I don’t eat as much of the other stuff.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    I don't know what everyone else in the family is making/bringing, but I'm doing either a smoked brisket or smoked pork butt. I haven't decided yet.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    The usual. Brined and smoked turkey breast, some Stove-Top stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberries, etc.... I might do a pie, but I hate making pie crust, so....

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Butchering a hog on Tuesday, half will be roasted on Thursday.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just Hanging Around
    posted Hide Post
    Pumpkin Pie.

I don't care what else.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post

Wife cooked a turkey yesterday. I actually prefer cold turkey for sandwiches. I will be picking up some ripe tomatoes tomorrow, for as long as the meat lives.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cas:
    Hot dogs. I'm a traditionalist.

Turkey dogs?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    We'll be going to my S-I-L's for undercooked turkey and all the trimmings.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Honky Lips
    Picture of FenderBender
    posted Hide Post
    maybe some chinese

I hate being single.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • Stuffing w/ cranberries
    I also bought the ingredients to turn leftovers into Turkey enchiladas suizas

• Nice! These 2 sound awesome.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    I don't know what everyone else in the family is making/bringing, but I'm doing either a smoked brisket or smoked pork butt. I haven't decided yet.

With either of those two choices who cares what anyone else brings. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post