SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Perfect boiled eggs...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect boiled eggs... Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
Don't boil them, pressure cook them. Do this, and they nearly jump out of their shells, without any frustration. I pressure cook them for 5 minutes at full pressure, let sit 6 minutes in the cooker to let the pressure subside, then cool off in cold water till barely warm. Yolks are completely cooked, and you can vary the time to your liking. I use room temp eggs, but right from the fridge might work too, as well as right from the coop.

They peel like a candy wrapper, without any B.S., gouges, stuck to the shell, nada. It's truly amazing, and fast! Great for folks like me who eat a few everyday, or when you need to make deviled eggs. I mean the peeled ones look like they still have the shell on.

I've tried every "perfect way to boil eggs" secret, and this one really works, everytime. See what you think.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Seems like that's an awful lot of heat being applied to a delicate egg?

I place mine in a pot, cover with cold water about 2 inches over, bring to full rolling boil then immediately pull off the hot burner onto a cold one, cover and let sit 20 minutes. Then place in sink and shock with cold water and lots of ice cubes. Older eggs peel much easier than newer ones I've found too.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
There are bunches of YouTubes showing that technique. The prospect of some easy peeling appeals to me. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Steam them. Easy-peasy. Directions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I make my soft boiled (steamed, actually) eggs in my pressure cooker too. Like you, I always start them at room temperature.

I don't peel them though – I top them with my Egg Clack. Thin strips of toast to dip into the yolks. The British call this "eggs and soldiers".

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Take your fresh eggs and put them in enough cold water to cover them. Bring them up to the boil. Take them off the heat, and let them sit in the hot water for 11 to 13 minutes depending on the size of the egg and how hard you like them cooked.

You can bathe them in ice if you want to chill them more quickly.

Bringing them up to temperature (instead of putting a cool egg into boiling water) keeps that gray layer of sulphurous material from forming around the yolk.

I've never tried steaming them. Can't hurt, and maybe it does make them easier to peel. Bringing them up to boiling heat slowly is the real key.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, pressure cooker. My wife does them in an Instant Pot, my three year old son peels the eggs and does a great job. Only downsides - concentrated cooked egg smell in the kitchen as the thing de-pressurizes, and slightly greenish yolks. Neither of these bothers me, so we've been having more boiled eggs of late. The difference is amazing.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I kinda figured they would crack, and be all poached in the pressure cooker... Nope, they are simply perfect:

No surprise Youtube shows this technique; it's fantastic! and you can make several dozen so fast, and so easy to peel, it's amazing.

I was going to try the steamed method, but use the same steamer basket in the PC. It's been 100% with a bunch of dozens of eggs, and really makes this chore, so easy... Almost enjoyable.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm old school. Boil water with salt and vinegar added. Then add the eggs, reduce heat and time for 13 minutes. Drain and place in an ice bath for 10-15 minutes. Perectly done, no green, just right; peels easy... the touch of vinegar is the key. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I'm old school. Boil water with salt and vinegar added. Then add the eggs, reduce heat and time for 13 minutes. Drain and place in an ice bath for 10-15 minutes. Perectly done, no green, just right; peels easy... the touch of vinegar is the key. Smile

I tried the vinegar thing too as a trick, and still had stuck shells. Guess eggs hate me, but all of this is null and void using the PC... Oh, and greenish yolks using the PC... Nope Smile

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Do not-I can't stress this enough-do not, put them, in the microwave.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Screw it. I gave up on boiled eggs. No "guaranteed" method worked for me every time.

I now bake them in a non-stick muffin tin (easy-peasy) & I'm happy with what I get, YMMV.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egg genie.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just throw them in the rice cooker along with the rice.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Screw it. I gave up on boiled eggs. No "guaranteed" method worked for me every time.

I now bake them in a non-stick muffin tin (easy-peasy) & I'm happy with what I get, YMMV.

Yup, in the oven works great. The only way I do them anymore.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

Similar method makes me happy. But cooked in the microwave, poached eggs, a two egg container with top, spray with olive oil, add a little water to each round egg container, add egg, pierce yolks, cover, microwave on high 3-15 second cycles, let cool, out comes two poached eggs, either firm or runny as per my timing in the microwave.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, guys. Bring water to a boil; place eggs in; boil 8 minutes; replace with cold water and cool 20 seconds in cold water then remove and enjoy.

Worked for me for years.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1

Bake at 325-350F for 30 minutes, then dunk them in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes.

Once you figure out the exact temp from your stove, you can get them perfect every time.

Also, very fresh eggs are harder to peel. Give them a few days in the refrigerator before you prepare them, and they're easier to peel.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Sheesh, guys. Bring water to a boil; place eggs in; boil 8 minutes; replace with cold water and cool 20 seconds in cold water then remove and enjoy.

Worked for me for years.

Worked for us for years also. Then we got a pressure cooker and it got even easier and produces a great result. Sheesh what?

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post