SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University of Utah reassigned a graduate assistant after her syllabus restricted students with concealed guns to a ‘Second Amendment zone’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of Utah reassigned a graduate assistant after her syllabus restricted students with concealed guns to a ‘Second Amendment zone’ Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
https://www.sltrib.com/news/ed.../21/university-utah/

A graduate assistant at the University of Utah has been reassigned from teaching a class this semester after handing out a syllabus that said bringing a concealed carry gun to class “is absurd, antisocial, and frightening behavior” and that any of her students who have one — even if permitted — would be forced to stand in a “3x3 taped square” in the back of the classroom.

“This zone also does not include a desk, because desks are reserved for students who respect the personal and psychological safety of their classmates and instructor,” reads a copy of the course outline.

Chris Nelson, the U.’s spokesman, said the one-paragraph “weapons policy” was removed from the online curriculum Tuesday, one day after fall classes started, and students were “alerted to the error.” The graduate assistant, too, has apologized, received additional training and will now “instead have other assignments.” The school has not identified the teacher.

Her “Second Amendment zone,” had it been implemented, would have violated state law, which allows people to tote guns on public university campuses without restrictions if they have concealed-weapons permits.

“Concealed carry is protected under your Second Amendment rights,” the teaching assistant acknowledges in the syllabus. “However, because the University of Utah reserves the right to restrict elements of the First Amendment on campus to specifically sanctioned ‘free speech zones’ I am reserving the right to restrict elements of the Second Amendment in my own classroom.

“If you feel that it is somehow at all appropriate to bring a gun to class (hint: it is not — this is absurd, antisocial, and frightening behavior), you are restricted to spending your time in class in my ‘Second Amendment zone’ a 3x3 taped square on the floor in the very back of the classroom, that will be shared with all other gun carriers.”

For years, the U. banned guns. But then-Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff issued an opinion in 2001 that the school had no authority to do so, and three years later, the Legislature passed a law blocking schools from restricting the possession or use of firearms. The Utah Supreme Court upheld that law in 2006.

Since then, the university has allowed concealed weapons on campus but resisted efforts to allow guns to be openly carried.

State Rep. Karianne Lisonbee, R-Clearfield, received a copy of the syllabus Monday from two students in the class and posted it to her Facebook page.

“I am livid,” she wrote. “A University of Utah professor doesn't understand the Bill of Rights and university policy on free speech — which is disturbing enough. But even more egregious, she is seeking to break state law and deprive students of their rights.”

Lisonbee successfully sponsored legislation last year to allow Utahns as young as 18 to get concealed-carry permits. She sponsored the legislation to equip young women, particularly on college campuses, who might have to defend themselves against potential rapists or attackers.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
These folks just have zero problem restricting the rights of people they don't agree with, no matter the law.

Remind me again who the Nazi's are again?

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Typical totally ignorant and biased leftist pinhead.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If rights can be limited to zones, they are no longer rights. They are permissions. Permissions can be denied.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Feakin' graduate student. No juice, no authority. Cocky little bitch. Do you even have enough of a clue to be embarrassed? Roll Eyes

Why don't you stand in your little fucking square yourself, Hillary Clinton junior?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The only time I stand in a 3x3 taped area for the 2A:

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she has a sandy front hole and empty head.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand how the brain of a leftist works. You want to make me stand in a box (or get on a train, or report to reeducation camp). I have a gun. You don't. How exactly is that going to work out?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I shudder to think what she’d be like if she had real power. Could the “we need some muscle over here” woman from Missouri have a sister in Utah?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Yep, we're the fascists alright...definitely us.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I guess I don't understand how the brain of a leftist works.
She wanted to insult and demean people with whom she does not agree politically. That's all this is.

She was there to perform a specific function in furthering the education of those students, but instead, she chose to use her tiny little pulpit to throw a tantrum.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Remind me again who the Nazi's are again?

The Left, just as it has always been.

Posts: 8622 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I guess I don't understand how the brain of a leftist works.

That's the problem, it doesn't work... They rely on their feels.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Feakin' graduate student. No juice, no authority. Cocky little bitch. Do you even have enough of a clue to be embarrassed? Roll Eyes

Some idiots, you put them in some sort of position with a title and they act like they rule the world.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
psychological safety

Snowflake concept?

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Another stunning display of arrogance by a person oblivious of the world outside her academic bubble. Publicly anti-gun in Utah? The cluelessness is strong in this one.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice to see they quashed her foolishness.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Nice to see they quashed her foolishness.

Agreed. It should serve as a clear example to anyone that feels that their personal beliefs somehow trump unalienable rights.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lemme guess, 17th century French queer literature?

It's time to name names. Public school likely on public grant money. I need to know who you are toots, ya know, so I don't offend you.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
“This zone also does not include a desk, because desks are reserved for students who respect the personal and psychological safety of their classmates and instructor,”

Looks like her psychological safety was already comprised.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post