SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First time online grocery shopping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time online grocery shopping Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
It's been a hectic couple of weeks, just helped daughter close on her new home, been working there all weekend, and the cupboard is bare.

Decided to give online grocery shopping a try, the Local WallyWorld Grocery didn't have slots for pickup today, it's pretty popular, so I'll be driving over to MediumMega Wally World this evening.

If it works out well, I'll try the Publix service next, you can pickup or first time free delivery.

Free delivery sounds good to me, the less times I have to touch groceries the better.

I bet you touch the items you buy at least 6 times before you use them going to the store.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've tried both pickup and delivery from Wal-Mart. Decent option for smaller orders, but the three or so times I've placed a large order, something has gotten jacked up.

My last order this weekend was the worst example. 50+ items, and when I got it unpacked, I realized they had left out about 8 of them. (And no, they weren't sold out or substituted... The items were pulled, but it's like they forgot several entire bags of my order.) Walmart's response was to refund the cost of those mising items, but then I still had to make a separate trip to go to a store and buy them myself.

Good idea, in theory. It is convenient, when it works correctly, and the wife and I like sitting down together with the online cart and planning out the meals for the week. But I don't think it's 100% ready for prime time yet. It's like the old adage: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My daughter uses the HEB online version in Austin TX all the time (which helps a lot considering the traffic there). If you order a day in advance of delivery I think it really lowers the added costs.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
My daughter uses the HEB online version in Austin TX all the time (which helps a lot considering the traffic there). If you order a day in advance of delivery I think it really lowers the added costs.

We were using HEB curbside quite a bit.
IIRC, it was a $4 fee for the service, with the occasional next-day freebie available.

My wife, who does 99% of the grocery shopping/planning, did some comparison & found that it was cheaper to just go in & shop. Can't entirely recall, but think she said something to the effect of the prices being lower on the shelf vs online/curbside.

We've started just going in & shopping in-person, instead.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My better half is partially disabled so much more than a quick dash to the Albertsons to pick up a few necessities or hit the $5 Friday deals really knocks the wind out of her.

We have used the pick up service at Fred Meyer and so far it has really worked well.

Added bonus is it frees up her to do the whole sale item/coupon shopping deal and she has actually saved us a ton of cash. She'll spend a couple hours hunting down the best bargains from the couch.

You have your own parking spots for pick up and they load your items for you. Plus a no tip policy. Explain to you what was not filled or substituted and off you go.

Fred Meyer is still on my shit list for killing off their gun department after one of the bad shootings, but it really saves my old lady from unnecessary pain.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do most of the grocery shopping and almost all the cooking.

I considered these options and might use this type of service if I get more health problems, but for now:

I wanna pick my own beef, I want only ground chuck, I wanna see the "sell by" date when picking the package and I want it to be the weight I came in for. With Steaks such as the Rib Eye, I want to see the steak to look for the marbling and the size. Same with Pot Roast-marbling and size.

With produce, I want to see which peaches I put in my bag, or plums or, even, naval oranges.

The Iceberg lettuce, I want it to be fresh or I don't buy it.

Eggs-yep, I pop the top to make sure none are cracked or broken. Milk, I buy the one with the longest "use by" date.

Cans of stuff or boxes, okay, let some kid grab them off the shelf for me, but the other stuff-nope I want to be sure I am getting and paying for what I want, not what is convenient for the puller.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister (divorced with 2 kids=4 and 8 yo) sometimes uses the Publix delivery service. It has always been accurate but does cost a little bit more.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Been using this with Kroger with good results mostly. Their online inventory system sucks, and I think more times than not I've had to approve or decline a substitution. Of course at that point there's no option to add a different item of my choosing to the order as a replacement.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
We've got a brand new state of the art Kroger and their curbside pick-up normally has a line of 3 or 4 cars. Kroger plays online coupon games and you can save substantial $$$ if you take the time to play them. They have many coupons for click and pull orders only. If I were a busy parent I could definitely see the value but an old retired guy like me can shop before noon during the week and I typically have the store to myself, especially if I'm out before 10am.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I do most of the grocery shopping and almost all the cooking.

I considered these options and might use this type of service if I get more health problems, but for now:

I wanna pick my own beef, I want only ground chuck, I wanna see the "sell by" date when picking the package and I want it to be the weight I came in for. With Steaks such as the Rib Eye, I want to see the steak to look for the marbling and the size. Same with Pot Roast-marbling and size.

With produce, I want to see which peaches I put in my bag, or plums or, even, naval oranges.

Eggs-yep, I pop the top to make sure none are cracked or broken. Milk, I buy the one with the longest "use by" date.

Cans of stuff or boxes, okay, let some kid grab them off the shelf for me, but the other stuff-nope I want to be sure I am getting and paying for what I want, not what is convenient for the puller.

Bob

Exactly this. If you eat anything that isn’t in a box or a can, you’ll probably be disappointed with having other people select it for you. I’ve tried Peapod in the Boston area and a couple local groceries out west but I’m done with having stuff delivered. We mostly eat produce and meats and food we prepare ourselves.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Works well for basic staples, but for some meals you have to go in yourself.

I go once a week, usually Thursday when it’s slower and everything has been fine the 5-6 times I’ve used it. Occasionally something is out of stock but it beats following the mouth-breathers around and waiting on the painfully slow check out types. Easily saves me an hour a week of my life at no charge.

If you are the grocery version of a control freak you wont’t like it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had good luck with our local Walmart Pick up. We usually plan our meals a week in advance and shop accordingly. My only real problems have arisen when they were out of stock on something that was vital to meal prep that resulted in me having to make a trip to Kroger. Other than that, it really is a time saver. Instead of an hour roaming the aisles looking for stuff, it is 15-20 minutes online and 10 minutes in pickup. I figure it saves me 30 minutes + per week.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Did my usual Walmart grocery pick-up today, simple and user friendly as always. The only thing about Publix online grocery is that the pricing is higher using Instacart, the one thing I do like about Publix is that you can order the deli subs the way you want and fresh from the deli...Boarshead! The instacart shoppers are fast and will text you as they shop for recommendations and/or substitutions if necessary. Both have designated parking which is a bonus and pick-up is fast.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Target has curbside pickup for many items, and it is AWESOME. You purchase the item, they pull it within the hour, you show up, they are at your window within 45 seconds, you sign for it, and you are gone and out of the parking lot not even 90 seconds after you pulled in. Its a lifesaver for busy people.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Worked well enough, the gal bringing me the goods was pleasant and did a nice job of loading up the groceries, they only had three missed items which were noted in advance by the app and at pickup.

Can't say I missed walking the aisles..

Next time I'll try Publix, just to see how it does.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

We were using HEB curbside quite a bit.
IIRC, it was a $4 fee for the service, with the occasional next-day freebie available.

My wife, who does 99% of the grocery shopping/planning, did some comparison & found that it was cheaper to just go in & shop. Can't entirely recall, but think she said something to the effect of the prices being lower on the shelf vs online/curbside.

We've started just going in & shopping in-person, instead.
There is a 3% markup on all curbside and delivery items. Then, unless you get a freebie there is a fee, and I feel obliged to tip.

I’m not a list shopper so it still might be cheaper curbside as I’m a sucker for their sauces, spices, etc from the demo kitchen. 6 months later, I’m scratching my head wondering why I bought that unopened sauce or spice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

THIS^

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
I considered these options and might use this type of service if I get more health problems,

Exactly why I use these types of service. I used to love shopping myself and knew the store's layouts by heart, in and out was always a breeze. Nowadays post stroke not so much. It's a blessing.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Be carful with Publix Instacart. Instacart is a 3rd party, they have their own prices for things and often do not get the 2 for 1s that you get in the store.

They also do not have to shop at the closest publix. They can end up in a little one across town with not the exact items you picked and then time in transit in hot florida can be an issue.

Generally I have had good results, but its not for every week usage.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5130 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Our youngest daughter uses Walmart online (pickup) for her weekly grocery shopping and loves it and swears by it. Mostly due to her convince of not having to take her 3 young kids shopping.

If they are out of what she has requested (store brand) they will upgrade to name brand without additional cost and so far no issues with expiration/use by dates.

On the down side she is not able to use coupons to save a little cash.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post