SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Judge orders Amazon to turn over two days worth of Echo recordings in murder case.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge orders Amazon to turn over two days worth of Echo recordings in murder case. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

At least on my tablet, I keep tape over the mic and camera. Everyone that sees the tape looks at me a little weird as if I'm overly paranoid. That certainly may be true but so be it.

My phone is a different matter. It remains unmolested as far as applying tape to it. I haven't reached that level of paranoia yet.

You're wearing a selective tinfoil hat, then. Your phone can just as easily be a listening and watching device.

That was my point. I know that my phone can. But I haven't reached that level of paranoia yet where I'm willing to cause myself that much inconvenience. It's a phone after all, and I need the mic. Applying and removing tape every time I make or receive a call would be a little over the top.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My company gives away webcam blockers as swag at trade shows. They're super common and look a little better than tape. But microphones and cell phones are a little trickier to defeat.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
And yet people will keep buying these things and put them in their homes.

For stupid reasons too, IMO. What can you even do with these things? Turn lights on and off, change the channel on your TV? Play movies and music?

What a ridiculous and unnecessary tradeoff. (IMO)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
why don't people know its recording everything and its not really asleep...unless its listening to everything, how would it recognize the 'wake up' word...

you can't fix stupid Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think most people who have these things know, and just don't care. How much is privacy really worth, and to how many people. People get out of the gadgets what they want, and they don't see the loss of privacy as costing them anything.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think most people who have these things know, and just don't care. How much is privacy really worth, and to how many people. People get out of the gadgets what they want, and they don't see the loss of privacy as costing them anything.

Like moths to a flame, anything to speed up that mission critical pizza order by 2min.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the flip side is this. To date, excluding potential criminals who use these things (referencing the original subject), what actual, functional negative outcome (I consider the privacy loss more theoretical), have the users of these devices had?

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Like moths to a flame, anything to speed up that mission critical pizza order by 2min.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
And yet people will keep buying these things and put them in their homes.

For stupid reasons too, IMO. What can you even do with these things? Turn lights on and off, change the channel on your TV? Play movies and music?

What a ridiculous and unnecessary tradeoff. (IMO)

This ^^^^^

Like BH said: Microphone and so on your phone is necessary for the phone's operation. I extend the same to my tablet, as I use it for FaceTime on occasion. I keep the wakeup on voice command off.

Putting listening devices all over my home? Nope. Nope. Nope. Won't have smart TVs in the house, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think most people who have these things know, and just don't care.

It's crazy. I know a person who has Alexa/Echo and realizes the implications that possibly might go with the set-up. Her response is "I don't care, I have nothing to hide". Goes with social media where folks will reveal every minute aspect of their lives. Fuck privacy, I want my 15 minutes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

At least on my tablet, I keep tape over the mic and camera. Everyone that sees the tape looks at me a little weird as if I'm overly paranoid. That certainly may be true but so be it.

I did that tape thingy to the laptop my PD provided me to use at work....everyone thought I was paranoid Until someone got an IA about something he said about the Major, while in his patrol car and the in-car camera wasn't on...it took a little while but we figured out it was the camera on the laptop....

yeah, I will never have an Alexis, or google mic or anything like it in my house.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'll give you one thing... your positions never cease to convey that not only did you read the cautionary tales by Huxley and Orwell and and the rest and somehow manage to miss their points, but it's never not been clear that if you and your ilk were in the driver's seat for such decisions you'd be speeding us toward those dystopian ends at breakneck speed.

Your points of view in these matters and others like getting rid of physical money remain as dangerous to America and as antithetical to freedom and liberty as any bomb toting terrorist has ever been. I'm not even sure how you manage it straight faced, but you're certainly consistent.

quote:
Yes, but the flip side is this. To date, excluding potential criminals who use these things (referencing the original subject), what actual, functional negative outcome (I consider the privacy loss more theoretical), have the users of these devices had?

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I’ve installed a fair amount of home automation which I control via smartphone. It has a really slick Alexa interface but I can’t bring myself to let one in to my home.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post