SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Judge orders Amazon to turn over two days worth of Echo recordings in murder case.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge orders Amazon to turn over two days worth of Echo recordings in murder case. Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
Surprise! (not really)

article

court order

Murder is terrible and I hope whomever is responsible is caught and found guilty.

From the article - not only does Amazon record whatever follows the Echo's wake word - it sometimes picks up other fragments and records them, too, and it's all this data gathered over a particular two day period that prosecutors hope will reveal clues.

Also, apparently, it isn't the first time. There was another case in Arkansas where these records were used in a case.

Just in case you thought it wasn't listening or this wasn't possible...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I keep telling people this and I get that "yeah okey dokey' look from people like I'm crazy. My sister and her kids have it all over their house as does my sons wife. I point to news articles like this and then the response usually is "I don't care they can listen to me all they want I'm not doing anything" Then I give them that "yeah okey dokey if you're fine with that" look. Roll Eyes

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I keep telling people this and I get that "yeah okey dokey' look from people like I'm crazy. My sister and her kids have it all over their house as does my sons wife. I point to news articles like this and then the response usually is "I don't care they can listen to me all they want I'm not doing anything" Then I give them that "yeah okey dokey if you're fine with that" look. Roll Eyes

Hell will freeze over before there's one in my house. Wife is in full agreement.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It wasn't that long ago when people valued their privacy above most things. Now they willingly put listening devices in their own homes and simply shrug off those privacy concerns like good little Oceanians.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
And yet people will keep buying these things and put them in their homes.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Every day, people are being slowly desensitized to the danger of intrusion into the privacy of their daily lives. Software that tracks what we look at and sends online advertisements to that effect. Doctors offices asking if we have guns in the household. Electronic “helpers” like Alexa and Siri that eavesdrop and record our minutiae.

One day very soon, the combined government/big business conglomerate will intrude into every single aspect of our lives. It’s frightening how far we’ve let them get so far with relatively little pushback.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1984 just took a bit longer to get here than originally estimated.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
1984 just took a bit longer to get here than originally estimated.

And was voluntary.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
And was voluntary.

When has the masses’ giving up their rights not been voluntary? They only start to object (if at all) when it’s too late.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'll never have one of those devices, but I worry about my phones and laptops recording me when I don't want the mics to be on. There are definitely folks out there who can make that happen, if not legally. I'm sure the NSA has the tech to do anything we can imagine, but they'd not be able to use it in any kind of legal case without the cops getting a warrants and doing it the old fashioned way.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Every day, people are being slowly desensitized to the danger of intrusion into the privacy of their daily lives. Software that tracks what we look at and sends online advertisements to that effect. Doctors offices asking if we have guns in the household. Electronic “helpers” like Alexa and Siri that eavesdrop and record our minutiae.

One day very soon, the combined government/big business conglomerate will intrude into every single aspect of our lives. It’s frightening how far we’ve let them get so far with relatively little pushback.

It started with My Space and people discovering social media and how they could use it to promote themselves on a social media stage. Every mundane aspect of their lives could be shared. What they had for dinner, what movie they watched, what time they went to bed. Then Face Book kicked the door open and you had to have more "friends" on social media then your other friends. So you had to share more things to become a more popular social mediaite.

People will share anything about their lives whether you want to know it or not. They will actually welcome any clandestine intrusion on their life.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I'll never have one of those devices, but I worry about my phones and laptops recording me when I don't want the mics to be on. There are definitely folks out there who can make that happen, if not legally. I'm sure the NSA has the tech to do anything we can imagine, but they'd not be able to use it in any kind of legal case without the cops getting a warrants and doing it the old fashioned way.

At least on my tablet, I keep tape over the mic and camera. Everyone that sees the tape looks at me a little weird as if I'm overly paranoid. That certainly may be true but so be it.

My phone is a different matter. It remains unmolested as far as applying tape to it. I haven't reached that level of paranoia yet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
What the hell is Cortana? It popped up after I reinstalled Skype. I guess it is a type of Echo and I tried to delete it, but I could only deactivate it.

Any help?

I'll have to ask it if this is considered a high-jack of the this thread. Frown

Thanks and take care.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

What is a little scary, when my wife and I have been in the car talking about a certain product 15 minutes later it shows up as an add on her face book page. I know this has happened to other people I know. I keep tape over the camera on my computer after I saw a news report how it can be turned on by hackers with out you knowing.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
What the hell is Cortana? It popped up after I reinstalled Skype. I guess it is a type of Echo and I tried to delete it, but I could only deactivate it.

Any help?

I'll have to ask it if this is considered a high-jack of the this thread. Frown

Thanks and take care.

I think cortana is microsoft's version of siri.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It wasn't that long ago when people valued their privacy above most things. Now they willingly put listening devices in their own homes and simply shrug off those privacy concerns like good little Oceanians.

Haven't you heard? We're fighting a war against Eurasia! Or is it Eastasia?

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I said that years ago about OnStar.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got some Google home mini speakers when we bought our networked sprinkler controller and Nest thermostat as part of a bundle. We have two and I have been testing them for a bit. They seem to sit idle for the most part but I do wonder how much they listen as every so often something will happen and one speaker will start responding to shit we didn't ask. I get the privacy concerns and think they're real.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

At least on my tablet, I keep tape over the mic and camera. Everyone that sees the tape looks at me a little weird as if I'm overly paranoid. That certainly may be true but so be it.

My phone is a different matter. It remains unmolested as far as applying tape to it. I haven't reached that level of paranoia yet.

You're wearing a selective tinfoil hat, then. Your phone can just as easily be a listening and watching device.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post