SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Lest we forget'- Arnhem 75th Anniversary mass jump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Lest we forget'- Arnhem 75th Anniversary mass jump Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
included a 97-year-old veteran...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49771180

While I was visiting Oosterbeek Cemetery a few years ago, i chanced on a maroon-beret-wearing old soldier visiting his brother, who had died on the fifth day of the hand-to-hand battle in the town. Both were medics, and both had jumped about ten minutes apart, but had only briefly encountered each other in the mayhem that followed.

His brother had died whilst giving aid to a German soldier.

It was that kind of fight, sometimes.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I salute Mr. Cortmann.

If I make it to 97 (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) I'm going to make a jump in his honor...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this Tac. God bless those old Soldiers.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Brave intrepid souls indeed. We are here due to their courage.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Montgomery claimed that “Operation Market-Garden” was "90% successful".

"My country can never again afford the luxury of another ‘Montgomery success’," stated Bernhard, the Prince of the Netherlands.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Montgomery claimed that “Operation Market-Garden” was "90% successful".

"My country can never again afford the luxury of another ‘Montgomery success’," stated Bernhard, the Prince of the Netherlands.

Montgomery was complete dick. My late Uncle Micky, who was on the other side, used his German nickname - General Wartensee - a pun in German, of all things - General Wait and see.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post