SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hanging Doors - What am I not thinking about?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging Doors - What am I not thinking about? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I could use some help braining on this...

MIL's house was broken into a while back. Bastards came through a set of exterior French doors, damaging the same. New doors were ordered, have arrived, and are sitting on the porch. The guy she intends to hire to hang them (because her BIL told her to) is going to charge her $500 per half day, which I'm not going to allow her to do since that's insane.

Anyway... doors are the correct size. Holes, etc., are pre-drilled for knob & deadbolt, hinge areas are pre-chiseled for hinges. The door frame is not damaged at all, so it's really just a matter of taking the old doors off the hinges and screwing the new ones on.

I'm inclined to think it would be best to leave the hinges attached to the frame (to avoid unnecessary loosening of the screws) and simply unscrew the hinges at the doors themselves (reverse to install the new ones).

These are heavy SOBs, so I'll probably recruit a little extra muscle to help me hold them in place, but assuming everything is cut and lined up right, is there anything I'm not thinking about or is it really that straightforward?

(I've been known to curse a lot while hanging interior doors before, so I'm probably unnecessarily nervous about this.)

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
You'd undoubtedly have an easier time of it were it only a single door but it's not so a lot will depend on the tolerances the manufacturer is able to maintain. I've only done 3 sets of French doors, frames and all, and even though they are matched to the frame at the factory, it is not unheard of to have to plane one or both of the doors to get them to align correctly when installed.

Your thinking on leaving the hinges attached to the frame sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps Arc or someone who does this all the time will stop by and give you a pro's perspective.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tips.

1) Get a couple packs of shim strips. You can do the Stack and Slide with the shims to carry the weight and get the door at just the right height.

2) Check the distance from the top of the door frame to the top of the hinge on each side. Because many times a carpenter would hand fit the hinges on each side and this can result in different hinge heights on each side. Since you'll be hanging these one side at a time this can result in a mismatch if you assume the hinge height is equal on each side.

3) USE A LEVEL to insure the doors are level in BOTH vertical planes before you screw down all the hinges. I like to use one single screw on a top and bottom hinge until I am certain the door is perfectly square.

4) As noted you may find you have to do a bit of planning due to the frame not either being perfectly square or perfectly plumb, because some carpenters just won't use a Square when putting together a door frame.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of modern french doors have adjustable hinges to help with getting the panels lined up. If your replacement doors have this then the adjustment "body" is on the door half of the hinge and is in a larger routed out pocket. If that is the case, then I would want to have the hinges mounted to the door first (a little loose) and attach to the frame second. Slightly loose hinges are easier to get everything lined up in the hinge pockets before you tighten it all down.

Make sure you attach any sweeps to the bottom of the door before you hang it on the frame.

Use blocks and shims to make the door level and supported while attaching hinges to the frame. Trying to have someone just hold the door while attaching the first hinge isn't recommended. (It can be done by two installers that really know what they are doing)

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a lot that can go wrong with this one.

First is assuming the hinges on the jamb will line up properly with the new doors, they are usually close but not perfect.

Second is assuming the original doors were hung level, plumb, and square. If the original jamb is out of level, plumb, and square, you now have to adjust your nice new square doors to the messed up jambs. If those doors are steel skinned you won't have much room for adjustments.

These types of jobs are never as easy as they seem to be. It usually takes a lot of fitting to get the doors to hang with nice even reveals around the edges, seal tightly against the weather stripping, and lock securely.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't you remove the hinge pin first? Then attach the hinge half to the door?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Ahem "freedom doors".
Wink

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Shouldn't you remove the hinge pin first? Then attach the hinge half to the door?

Before doing that, I would want to be sure the old and new hinges line up. One way is to make a story pole, just a stick that is a bit shorter than the jamb height. Tack it in place (or have someone hold it very securely, while you take a pencil and mark the location of the hinges on the jamb. Then place the story pole on the hinge edge of the door (top to top), and see if your marks line up. Then, if the hinges appear to be the same brand, etc (you could remove a pin from an old one and see that it fits in the new one), this route might be the easiest.

Are the new doors exactly the same width and height? They old ones might have been cut to fit (perhaps to clear a threshold), in which case there could be a bit more work involved here. As others have mentioned, the original carpenters may have done some fitting in several places, so this may not be quite as easy as it seems first hand.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think the chances are slim the new doors will be mortised for hinges in the same location as the previous doors. They'll be close but not enough to function properly. Were I doing it, I'd just remove the mouldings of the old door jambs inside and out to expose the fasteners. Then I'd use a reciprocating saw to cut through those fasteners. The whole door system should just push right out of the opening. Clean up under the threshold, remove old debris from studs and test fit the new door system. If it was ordered and built right, it should slip right in place. If the ext. mouldings were installed when manufactured, the door system should rest close to the proper position. If not, then be sure to center the system to the opening, check and shim for plumb and square, drive preliminary fasteners. swing doors open to expose the rest of the jambs and fasten with security screws. Dont' forget to seal the threshold before final fitting though. It sounds harder than it is. $500.00 might be a bit high, but not insultingly high. That price is probably to compensate for what can't be seen on some jobs. It averages out profitable if some go long and others short.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29694 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Since no one has asked thus far, are the replacement doors solid wood, aluminum, or fiberglass? Regardless, they are most assuredly going to need 'some' fitting to install into your existing jam.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
So it goes like this...

Apparently, when she had these put in, they were a standard size.

The company that made the doors doesn't make that size any more, but did these as a custom job.

Her BIL measured.

Now that I think about it, I'm not going to be volunteering to hang these. I'll let him deal with his mess.

OR, I can give it a shot and maybe convince her that he's not trying to "be helpful", but is trying to ingratiate himself to her and needs to be told "no" every so often when he shows up unannounced to "help out" with something. Because he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
So it goes like this...

Apparently, when she had these put in, they were a standard size.

The company that made the doors doesn't make that size any more, but did these as a custom job.

Her BIL measured.

Now that I think about it, I'm not going to be volunteering to hang these. I'll let him deal with his mess.

OR, I can give it a shot and maybe convince her that he's not trying to "be helpful", but is trying to ingratiate himself to her and needs to be told "no" every so often when he shows up unannounced to "help out" with something. Because he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

-Rob

A wise course of action. There was a high probability of things going wrong with that, IMO.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
First measure the hinge locations on the door and frame. Stick a tape measure inside frame against top of frame to top of first hinge then measure door from top of door to top of first hinge. Door should be 1/8 less than frame. this allows for top clearance. Repeat for all hinges. Measure total height of doors and total inside height of frame opening. Obviously door size should be less. How much depends on bottom sweep. Measure total width of frame opening and total width of doors combined, door measurement should be approx. 3/8 less. Think old adage measure twice cut once. Do not just try to muscle door up to hinge, good way to hurt you or door. Put something cylindrical under door to be used to lever door up to hinge, you can also roll door up to or away from hinge. Place cylinder under door about 2/3 away from hinge side. I have used dowels , screw drivers etc. Think fulcrum. I have hung hundreds of doors by myself using this method, many weighing several hundred pounds.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Go to Ask the Builder and look at has videos to get an idea if you can do the job:
http://www.askthebuilder.com/s...ing%20french%20doors

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Insurance isn't covering the install?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
First measure the hinge locations on the door and frame. Stick a tape measure inside frame against top of frame to top of first hinge then measure door from top of door to top of first hinge. Door should be 1/8 less than frame. this allows for top clearance. Repeat for all hinges. Measure total height of doors and total inside height of frame opening. Obviously door size should be less. How much depends on bottom sweep. Measure total width of frame opening and total width of doors combined, door measurement should be approx. 3/8 less. Think old adage measure twice cut once. Do not just try to muscle door up to hinge, good way to hurt you or door. Put something cylindrical under door to be used to lever door up to hinge, you can also roll door up to or away from hinge. Place cylinder under door about 2/3 away from hinge side. I have used dowels , screw drivers etc. Think fulcrum. I have hung hundreds of doors by myself using this method, many weighing several hundred pounds.

This is why a pro wants $500 to do the job.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As some have said previously a lot can go wrong on this install. $500 for 4 to 5 hours is not out of line. Are these doors wood cased?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I had to take a door off to remove the frame last night to get a couch in our basement. I left the hinges on the door and used an ammo can to hold the door up, super simple.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
MIL's house....(because her BIL told her to). BIL measured....

I don't need to read anything else....You would be well advised to NOT get involved here!

As armfel said, There's a high probability of things going wrong with that. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The cost to fix the install if you cant get it done, and your MIL has a giant open hole in the house is $500 per 1/4 hour Big Grin

We ordered a door, double and triple checked
the measurements, it was a single door swing out
for the back of the garage into a concrete wall opening for an old door. Had a second person remeasure, check the figures.

The door came in, was delivered and was 1.5 inches too tall, now we had an open hole, and a door that wouldn't fit, so we ended up cutting down the frame and door to fit, the mistake was not checking the door measurement prior to taking out the old door.

So check everything, make sure they made it to your specifications prior to even taking anything apart.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post