SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help demolishing someone in this stupid gun argument
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I need help demolishing someone in this stupid gun argument Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I figured I'd tap the brilliance of this forum to eviscerate this person.

This is on facebook btw, I make it a policy to not get into these arguments, but I'm making an exception for THIS person because it's so freaking retarded.

The person said this:

"When my child hits another child with a stick, I don't blame the stick, I take the stick away."

Obviously, it's some stupid metaphor for guns.

I responded: That's stick...blaming the stick. If my child cant handle a stick responsibly, I failed as a parent for not teaching my child how to responsibly handle a stick and not to hit another child.

Clown's response: "So you let your child keep the stick he's hitting everyone with?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'd move on.

Pigeons. Chess. Shit. Victory.

But I've had those arguments and realized my own stupidity afterwards.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Somebody's wrong on the Internet, are they? Yes, you should seize on that, what with it being such a rare occurrence and all.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
If my child hits another child with a stick, there better be a damn good reason, e.g. SD, or there will be hell to pay.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Emphasize that you're talking about teaching responsibility, not stick-wielding. If he persists, tell him you'll meet with him and demonstrate both skills. That's all I got.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
They've already decided that they know everything about the subject and are convinced you are wrong and there is nothing you can teach them.
They either have the brain power to use logic and reason....or they don't. Leave the ones that don't to their own deep thoughts like how many genders there are out there.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
How is that parent going to possibly take all of the sticks? See those woods over there? Going to load that in the back of your Prius?

So you've taken one particular stick. What's stopping your precious spawn from grabbing another? Then another? Eventually you'll get fed up with removing so many sticks that you'll remove the child away from the sticks.

Thus the solution. To stop the problem you don't remove the sticks or their availability. You remove the problem child.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
So if one child missuses a stick, than all sticks must be banned from all children. Sounds draconian to me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It's already too late. You should have told them you would take the stick away from their kid and then beat them with it because they failed as a parent. You can't go back now.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Report This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I got it. We need to burn all the trees because 1 kid can’t use a stick right.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Clown's response: "So you let your child keep the stick he's hitting everyone with?

You already fucked up the argument.

The original premise is that the child misbehaves, the stick gets removed. You replied, don't blame the stick. Now you are trapped, because the problem child is still there.

Your reply should have been: "If your child misbehaves with the stick then your child should be punished and be removed from the playground. The other kids should go on playing with sticks. If you don't teach the misbehaving kid some manners, he'll go around hitting the others with rocks, or even his hands and feet."

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, you take it away. What you don't do however is take away every other child's stick who did nothing wrong and who simply was playing with his or her stick responsibly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Emphasize that you're talking about teaching responsibility, not stick-wielding. If he persists, tell him you'll meet with him and demonstrate both skills. That's all I got.

This! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Their analogy is faulty.

Gun banners essentially want to cut down all the trees, regardless of all the good that comes from them.

One child hitting another with a stick does not merit cutting down all the trees and ordering that we immediately burn all sticks.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Somebody's wrong on the Internet, are they? Yes, you should seize on that, what with it being such a rare occurrence and all.

I know I know, and you’re right. That’s why I don’t normally engage in this silly stuff. Even on this forum I try my best to stay outta the contentious threads. But this is sooo dumb and sooo simplistic and this person annoys me. And I’m having a bad day at work, and I got #triggered!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

No, you take it away. What you don't do however is take away every other child's stick who did nothing wrong and who simply was playing with his or her stick responsibly.

The other 1 million sticks hit no innocent children yesterday.

Additionally, the stick itself will lay dormant until wielded by either someone intending harm, or someone using it to protect an innocent person or their own life.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have due process and ostensibly proportionate punishment in this country. We don't give life sentences for misdemeanors. Only when the problem is repeated or escalates should we do something more severe.

If we were as proactive about protecting people in other respects, maybe baby daddy D'antwan should have his "stick" taken away before fathering another child doomed to burden society.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

One stick keeps another in its paper-towel roll sheath.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

This is the correct answer. People who use guns in crimes should have their right to own a gun revoked and their guns taken away. I should not have my gun taken away though because I did nothing wrong.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Find two or three cougars who will say that your Facebook idiot abused them 15 years ago. They will be fired in disgrace, divorced, and end up living under a bridge in a refrigerator carton.

That’ll take their mind off your trouble!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post