SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cubs vs. Cards Tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cubs vs. Cards Tonight Login/Join 
posted
Odd game so far. First some guy catches two foul balls.
Next a situation I've never seen.
They are talking about talking Molina out of the game to rest him but he is left in. Next inning he takes a foul to th mask. Shakes him up. Matheny comes out to talk him and announcers go on about how he's always concerned about concussions.
Matheny leaves him in. You can see as th pitcher gets ready that Molina isn't even putting a sign down or anything but he pitches anyway. Another foul to the mask. Molina made no attempt at all to catch the ball. No move at all.
At this point Molina has trouble even getting off the field. Looked like he was going to collapse or puke or both.
Kind of scary to watch.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We saw the same thing, and I wondered why they left him in after that first hit. He was obviously woozy from it.

Baez should have been pulled, too. He made it to First, then pretty much fell over, and I doubt he'll play tomorrow.

It's late in the season. Players are worn ragged, especially guys like Baez who play enthusiastically in damned near every game. They're bound to get hurt, I guess, I just hope it isn't permanent injuries for any of them.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
More interesting is that Matheny used to be a catcher and retired from the game due in no small part to the numerous concussions he suffered.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Molina is stubborn about coming off the field or taking a day off, to put it mildly.
About the only time he's in the new is when someone suggests he's tired & he fires back. Definitely a youngest brother of 3 MLB catchers....

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Don't hang the delay on Matheny. Yadi likely said he was okay after the first hit. The Cardinals need Molina, so they don't want to see him get hurt.

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this morning, Molina was admitted to the MLB concussion protocol, so he is not likely to play again this year.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really blaming Matheny but wonder how he didn't see it. Especially since he is so aware of the issue.
Watching it I really think that if the second pitch hadn't been fouled it would have just hit Molina wherever it was going without him making a play on it.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After last night's game, I'm starting to think it's like:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
After last night's game, I'm starting to think it's like:

Ain't that the truth. Walking wounded.