SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CVT transmisions? durable or move on?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CVT transmisions? durable or move on? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Aside from Nissan Pathfinders made a couple years ago, I have heard nothing but good things. Our Forester with the CVT has been just fine.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I've got 36,000 on my '15 Toyota Corolla, that I baby along, and am able to maintain about 40 mpg avg with city, hwy combo. On long hwy trips, I'm capable of getting around 45 mpg. The CVT has been trouble free so far, & I never really noticed much difference between it & a regular automatic transmission. It does have a slightly different feel to it when you accelerate hard, but not anything that takes getting used to.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies!

the Civic's and Toyota I drove all did well, not so bad as far as an odd feeling, the Mitsu was like driving a golf cart,
motor wound up for a long while then eventually slowed as it worked thru the 'gears',,, definitely a turn off as far as experience,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2015 CR-V and we are very happy with it. Smooth operation. No issues.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:
What are they and why are they superior?

Thanks

It's all about better MPG than a traditional auto.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
thanks for the replies!

the Civic's and Toyota I drove all did well, not so bad as far as an odd feeling, the Mitsu was like driving a golf cart,
motor wound up for a long while then eventually slowed as it worked thru the 'gears',,, definitely a turn off as far as experience,,,

Some of the early CVTs did drone a bit. One reason they do better on gas is they hold a mid range RPM longer than a traditional trans. So it buzzes along at 4k rpms while you got your foot on the gas trying to speed up.

I drove a 2015 Corolla S with "sport" mode. Manually shifting was very snappy and it did a great job mimicking a traditional auto trans.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post