SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CVT transmisions? durable or move on?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CVT transmisions? durable or move on? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted
folks,

looking to replace a totaled vehicle (I was rear ended)

options I am considering are a new, or CPO Corolla, Civic, or Impreza,

I've test driven a new C-HR (basically the Corolla drivetrain) and a new Civic and 2015 Civic,

will hit the Impreza next week,

anyway, wife refuses to learn a stick and this will be both a replacement for my daily driver, and a back up if she needs it (I also have a 2000 Tundra)

so far I have also had, as a rental, a Mitsu Mirage (4 door golf cart that was not anything near impressive) a Nissan Sentra and Chevy Sonic,,

not considerint either of those,

so, question is (sorry if this has been long winded)

reliable in the long run? no major issues? etc etc

thanks

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My 2015 Nissan NV200 has a CVT, and the gas mileage has been great. There is no "bump" or stepping like a traditional automatic transmission. I consider it a positive.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
CVT's are good to go my friend. I rebuilt them for a living and they have less failure prone components than traditional autos. I will always opt for one in my personal vehicles when available.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
What are they and why are they superior?

Thanks

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2012 Impreza with the CVT. It was a good car, no issues after 36k miles, just did not need it any more. The CVT does take a while to get used to.

Posts: 13 | Location: texas | Registered: December 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My Subaru Legacy’s CVT simulates an automatic transmission. I hate the shifting feeling. Wish I could disable it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If you have driven a snowmobile you'll feel right at home. You aren't allowed to lug the motor. The engine spins rather freely while you lug the trans for lack of a better description.

Like any tech some were introduced to soon, those on the bleeding edge got hurt. Have at least three in the family never an issue. 2 Nissan, and a Subaru

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Move on. I have on on my 14 accord. When starting for my commute, I have to sit and wait for the CVT to "warm up". Otherwise step on gas and you go nowhere. Just like a slipping transmission. Honda says "thats normal". Never again.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 Accord Sport, no issues with the CVT here, 110 grand on the clock. PeteF, there was a tsb for the cvt transmission that sounds like it addresses what you are experiencing. If your dealer won't check or do, try a different dealer.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
2010 Nissan Maxima with 320,000 trouble free miles.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We had CVTs in our 2012 Altima 2.5 and our 2.5 Outback. The Outback got less than spectacular mileage and had paddle shifters and manual mode to make it seem like an auto, but than was kinda silly except for maybe holding in a lower ratio for traction. The Altima could get over 40mpg on my interstate commute through some mild up and down 100-200 feet hills, but was very temperature, humidity, and gas blend picky. It was loud to accelerate and generally felt cheap. By comparison, my 6 speed auto V6 2015 Accord gets a dead on consistent 35mpg on that drive. City mpg is worse, but it is also alot more fun. The wife and I are both "never again" for CVT.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Our 26 month old Subaru Legacy 2.5 performs well with the CVT. Despite my initial skepticism, at 25000 miles I have become a fan of the application in this vehicle.

Love the paddles. 30+ in freeway travel. Never slips. Seems like an excellent blending of engineering principles.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Don't think they are my cup of tea. Had a 2018 Nissan Rogue with a CVT as a rental. I could not stand the yo-yo/rubber band feeling that I got when driving it. The vehicle had other issues I didn't like, so I may have been a little biased to begin with, but I am not sure that there is a vehicle on the market today with one that I would consider. Same goes for 7+ speed transmissions. Just a solution looking for a problem in my opinion.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback with a CVT and 28K on the clock. Runs fine, gets 29-30 mpg. The only mild annoyance is when backing out of the driveway in the morning, going from reverse to drive takes an extra 2-3 seconds over what I'm used to.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I don’t own one, but drove a female friend’s Nissan Juke. It takes some getting used to, but that little car would absolutely LAUNCH out of a corner. It really keeps the engine in the powerband.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently test drove a Honda CRV and HRV, both with CVT.
I did not like it at all. It feels like a constantly slipping clutch and was not really very smooth. It felt like they had used crunchy peanut butter as transmission fluid. But I cant really comment on reliability.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback with a CVT and 28K on the clock. Runs fine, gets 29-30 mpg. The only mild annoyance is when backing out of the driveway in the morning, going from reverse to drive takes an extra 2-3 seconds over what I'm used to.

Yes, this too. This was annoying.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Addendum, the cvt in my Accord is the only one that I have driven that has been decent, driven others and definitely didn't like. Drive it, and if you can't stand it, definitely don't buy it

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’ve driven a Polaris Ranger with CVT quite a bit. When compared to a standard auotmatic off road type vehicle, I find the lurch as you start and the back-up lag to be annoying. As a result, I’m looking at the Honda Pionner which has a standard automataic transmission. A little bit different from what you asked but it’s my experience FWIW.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post