SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What have been your firearm "builds" over the years?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have been your firearm "builds" over the years? Login/Join 
posted
Starting back in about 1980. I made my first build, a 1911 series 70 GM built on an Essex frame with all new Colt parts. I learned a lot, had to a bit of tweaking on the extractor and feed ramp, but other than that it has worked perfectly all these years. Next, in about 2000 I purchased a Springfield Armory U.S. M1 Carbine receiver and all new G.I. parts from Fulton Armory. Had George at Riverbank Armory screw the barrel on for me and it has worked flawlessly.

After that I assembled an FN FAL from a parts kit and the help of DSA. It has been a winner.

Over the years I've assembled three ARs, one Bushmaster CMMP competition style rifle and two M4 carbines, one on a Delton receiver and the other on a Spikes. One was built with a carbine length gas system and the other with a mid length. Both are flawless performers.

With my declining eyesight I can not do this anymore, however there is nothing like the satisfaction of shooting a firearm that you have given birth to.

What creations have you made over the years?

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've had several built over the years; Austin Behlert in NJ, redid a Commander for me in the mid 1970's. It ended up being stolen in a B&E.
Years later had Wayne Novak do a 1911 for me as well as half a job on a BHP. Still have both of those.

Had an X-5 All Around worked on by the SIG Doctor too. Fitted a pair of 9mm and .357 Sig, Bar-Sto barrels to a .40 AA, as well as a tune and some sight work.

I've had several rifles rebarreled as well as some stock work done. Extend checkering, add a nicely fitted Old English pad, etc. Had a nice .338-6 and a .280 AI built , still have them.

Few years back I got far more hands on and learned how to chamber, true a Rem 700 action, cut barrel threads, install, etc. My Smith allows me to waste his time by letting me on his lathe, mill, etc. I have always loved metal and wood working. So the work is very enjoyable.

He and I did a pair of long range rifles on Defiance 700 clone actions. One a 6.5 x 47 Lapua, the 2nd almost the same configuration, but the 6mm version of the 6.5 L. Simply necked down to 5mm.

Also did a rem 700, .223 AI that we barreled ,trued the action, bedded into a Mc Millan stock, Timney trigger, etc.

All three have shot very well which has been very satisfying.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My most 'custom' rifle started as a Rem 700 action. It was built by what I call a real 'old world' craftsman here in WI.

There are small personal touches, including a grip plate with initials. It has a Shilen barrel & trigger. The most custom feature is the Birdseye Maple stock that was cut by a relative in the U.P. of MI, heavily eyed.

The wood dried for 18 years in blanks before we got on his 3 year waiting list. It's setup more as a prairie dogging rifle, or target. It's midweight, nothing crazy, 22-250.

His shop was an array of hand tools with a few presses and specialty tools. He was an avid shooter & reloader. One thing somewhat unusual(compared to 300mags)is he preferred the 243 for his Western hunts. He had some prime spots in SD & CO and was very discriminating with shots on deer & Elk.

The relative who cut the hard Maple also got a mostly matching gun in the same caliber. The gunsmith was old when the guns were finished, I'm sure he has since passed on. He was a Navy Vet & very patriotic too. During that 3 year wait I would stop by when it could be arraigned to go over some details & talk a little shop.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Don't know that I've really had any "builds".

I've thrown together a few SBR's and another full length AR. 2x Form 1 suppressors I'm pleased with.

I don't really love 1911s that much. But I'd like to do a 1911 kit in 9mm. Just for the project and tinkering aspect.

https://www.stealtharms.net/45...ld-kit-complete.html

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No real builds per se but I am still tinkering on a Beretta Brigadier.
Have replaced a few parts with some WC goodies and I have a competition spring set on the way. Have done some polishing in spots and she's a shooter.
I do have something very special on the way also and by the looks of it, I may not need to do anything to it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My only builds have been ARs. I have more restorations though. Right now I'm doing a Browning Hipower. It's a flood and neglect victim.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Browning 1919, Garand and a lot of AK's. I don't really count AR's as "building".
I'm currently looking at selling off a ton of parts kits that I'll never get around to building.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Only 1 for me. Friend of a friend had an uncle who was a gunsmith in Ohio and he inherited a neglected project when he passed. It was started maybe 50 years ago and never completed when the customer didn't pay and lost contact.

It is an FN Mauser action with a midweight barrel chambered in 22-250. The action was a gunsmith purchase so it is plain with no markings such as the FN crest on the front bridge. I love that it is plain, and I have another FN actioned rifle that is almost as unmarked.

The varmint style stock is a Fajen stock that came to me rough contoured and semi inletted. Never contoured a stock or inletted one before. The stock is an amazing piece of supposed AAA grade fiddleback maple. Looking at lots of maple since I got this one, I believe it is very high quality maple. It has crotch walnut forearm tip and grip cap. The butt plate is about as close as plastic can match crotch walnut.

It took a large amount of time to complete and gather up some missing parts such as bolt stop, floor plate etc. I'm amazed at how many Mausers I know are here and how little parts are for sale now that aren't junk.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Ever since I was about 10 years old I was restocking and glassbedding rifles, sporterizing old Mausers and Springfields too. Then came tuning 22 prone rifles for NRA matches. At one time I was at a custom stock maker and polished on the babyblue Weatherby stock to be presented to Walter OMalley. By 20 I was into precision pistol, bullseye and International hoping to try for the Olympics FP and RF. Lately 1911s and High Standard, and other target pistols are what I work on. I don't do the serious machining as I have one of the country's best Bullseye Pistolsmiths nearby. After I settle into my retirement some more, I have a bunch of model 70 Winchesters to restore and refinish.
As far as "builds" go, other than pistols, my latest is a Remington 721 that I had Larry Brace rebarrel to 280. Larry did all the blueprinting while at it. I stocked it myself. Another rifle build was a magnum Model 70 action I put a Douglas barrel in 338 on and restocked it myself.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The firearms I have put together from parts are AR15s, four of them. I was getting pretty good at building lowers. Sold one during the Obama Salesman years. I don't plan on building anymore.

I have taken an M1 Garand down to parts to refinish the wood and put it back together. I have a Kidd 10/22 rifle (so does my son) that I have ordered custom, but someone else built them.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My closest was to hand fit a Colt Gold Cup Barrel into an issue 1911. We had to turn the 1911s and I took the opportunity to swap barrels. It took a little filing and firing.

Accuracy was slightly better but the sights on issue 1911s then sucked.

When I left the unit the pistol remained in the arms room. No one but me knew. Smile

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I built a flintlock rifle in 45 caliber...

Mrs Mike got me a Chambers lock and a piece of maple that was the size of a dock plank and I bought a book and basically taught myself how to make it go boom.

It's not real fancy, but it's mine!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning 1917 & 1919, currently in the middle of an Armalite AR-15, up top cocking handle and a 1945 98k restoration.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put together a precision rifle in .260. Mostly I ordered parts and pillar bedded the barreled action. Also assembled a few AR's.

Every one of my current pistols has been worked on by Gray Guns, I have about 8 at this time.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post