SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    12/10 Update: Good News! New York State Climate Change Lawsuit Against ExxonMobil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12/10 Update: Good News! New York State Climate Change Lawsuit Against ExxonMobil Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I searched and didn't see it on SF, but it's huge news in oil & gas circles. A friend of a friend is one of the litigators for ExxonMobil.

To summarize the lengthy, meandering article:
  • NY State AG withdrew 2 cases of fraud during closing arguments because she failed to demonstrate harm
  • In the next month, the judge will rule on 2 remaining counts of fraud under a 98 year old NY state law with a lower burden of proof
  • Even a libtarded NY newspaper thinks the state will not win on the 2 remaining counts of fraud
    quote:
    New York Goes Out With A Whimper In Its Case Against ExxonMobil

David Blackmon, Contributor

Last Thursday, in a move that surprised everyone but perhaps shouldn’t have come as a surprise at all, New York State Attorney General Tish James withdrew two counts of fraud against ExxonMobil during her closing arguments in the flimsy case she and her predecessor, Eric Schneiderman, spent the last half-decade pursuing against the energy giant.

Tellingly, AG James dismissed the two of her original fraud counts that were based on laws requiring demonstration of actual harm in order to obtain a positive judgment. Her suit claimed that ExxonMobil’s alleged “fraud” of keeping two separate estimates of the future costs of greenhouse gas emissions had cost investors in recent years. Yet, as the Wall Street Journal’s editorial board pointed out in an editorial titled “Parody of a Climate Trial” published on November 7, “Not a single Exxon shareholder at trial claimed to have been deceived. A PricewaterhouseCoopers director who performed 13 years of audits for Exxon said he was not aware of any attempt to manipulate either cost.”

Faced with her failure to produce any real evidence of damages in the case, Ms. James is stuck with clinging to two other counts of alleged fraud under the state’s 1921 Martin Act. As I pointed out in a piece last week, that hyper-expansive law does not require the state to prove details like “intent, fraudulent public statements by the defendant or even that investors were adversely impacted.” Under that law, the Attorney General must only prove that some misrepresentation took place.

Thus, at long last, the case that originated as a much-ballyhooed multi-state effort to prosecute ExxonMobil under the false allegation that it somehow knew all about “greenhouse gas” theory decades before Dr. James Hansen and then-Senator Al Gore started talking about it in the late 1980s, concludes with the Attorney General for the State of New York admitting that she can’t even prove that the company’s public disclosures about its bookkeeping damaged a single investor. Here is how ExxonMobil attorney Ted Wells summarized the experience in his closing remarks:
    quote:
    “I have lived with this case, I’ve watched the three year investigation where they changed from theory to theory to theory. I mean it was like, you know, somebody in Moby Dick going after the great white whale. They were trying to get ExxonMobil. We started with climate science. We went to another theory. Went to stranded assets. We ended up with this theory. And then we did something that a lot of corporations don’t do. We did. We said put up or shut up. We said we will try this case, we will not settle this case because we have not done anything wrong.”
    ExxonMobil attorney Ted Wells
    ExxonMobil felt the case under the two counts that Ms. James dropped was so weak that Mr. Wells urged the judge to rule on them with prejudice during his own closing arguments: “Your Honor, the executives who came to court, some of whom were retired, didn’t have to show up, came here because they wanted to clear their reputations, I submit have a right to either a stipulation that says there was no intentional misconduct or a court ruling. They can’t put us through the whole trial, I submit, and then at the last minute recognize they didn’t prove the claims. And then say I’m going to dismiss it. And that leaves both a cloud over the reputations of the people.”

In a scathing November 10 editorial, the editorial board of the New York Daily News, historically no fan of fossil fuels or ExxonMobil, lambasted the Attorney General for presenting what they called a “dubious lawsuit.” The board ends its piece by noting that, “The judge will rule in about a month. He should do so in the sound of a sad trombone.”

That may be sound advice, and it does not portend good things for the Democratic attorneys general of several other states who initially coordinated with Schneiderman and his orginal “Exxon Knew” theory of the litigation. These other AGs have been closely watching the progress of the New York case for cues on how they should proceed on their own cases. In fact, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey filed her own case on October 24, making claims similar to those pursued by Ms. James.

The problem for AG Healey and those other attorneys general is that none of their states have an expansive law like the Martin Act on which to fall back when they find they haven’t been able to prove up that any actual fraud or damages have occurred.

It’s a real conundrum. Somebody cue the sad trombone.
    Hopefully, this is the first domino to fall in a chain of many politicized dominos to fall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Good on ExxonMobile!

No quarter
    .308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    And they wonder why no one wants to do business in their state. Pathetic bureaucrats.

I’ll buy some Mobil 1 oil in ExxonMobil’s honor this weekend. Smile

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bushpilot
    posted Hide Post
    My princess and I own a lot of Exxon/Mobile stock. It has taken a beating and may turn around. It is still paying a good dividend.

****************************************************W5SCM
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Just a money grab by NYS and I wouldn't assume the state will lose since all it takes for the case to move forward is a liberal judge who rules on ideology instead of the law.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of CQB60
    posted Hide Post
    ExM should sue NYS to recover their legal expenses due to this frivolous case.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    I’d love to see a company like that stop doing business in these states for a month or two. Just cut off the fuel tap until these liberals come crawling on their hands and knees for more fossil fuels.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    In my Nov 13th post, the remaining 2 cases of Climate Change fraud were in the judge's hands for ruling on NY's low-threshold Martin act.

Last week, I was at an industry event and bumped into the friend of a friend who is one of the litigators for ExxonMobil. He was anxiously awaiting the judge's ruling.

Today, the judge ruled which is big news for all of us in oil & gas since the environmentalist started with XOM but were likely to expand to suing all of oil & gas in an attempt to put the industry out of business.
    quote:
    Exxon wins New York climate change fight

Exxon Mobil has won a court battle in New York in which it was accused of misleading investors about the costs of addressing climate change.

The state had argued that oil giant used two figures to calculate the risks of climate change, misrepresenting the cost in public disclosures.

Exxon had denied wrongdoing. It said the two figures served different purposes.

A New York judge said the evidence presented supported that claim.

"What the evidence at trial revealed is that Exxon Mobil executives and employees were uniformly committed to rigorously discharging their duties in the most comprehensive and meticulous manner possible," Judge Barry Ostrager of Manhattan Supreme Court said.

Exxon, which had called the suit politically motivated, hailed the victory.

"Today's ruling affirms the position ExxonMobil has held throughout the New York Attorney General's baseless investigation," it said. "We provided our investors with accurate information on the risks of climate change."

"Lawsuits that waste millions of dollars of taxpayer money do nothing to advance meaningful actions that reduce the risks of climate change," it added.

New York's attorney general filed the lawsuit against Exxon in 2018, after years of investigation. The trial started in October. It had been closely watched as one of the most high-profile of a rising number of suits against the company.

New York Attorney General Letitia James said despite her loss in court, the case had forced Exxon to "answer publicly" about its decision-making related to climate change.

"We will continue to fight to ensure companies are held responsible for actions that undermine and jeopardize the financial health and safety of Americans across our country, and we will continue to fight to end climate change," she said in a statement.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    "We will continue to fight to ensure companies are held responsible for actions that undermine and jeopardize the financial health and safety of Americans across our country, and we will continue to fight to end climate change".

How pathetic. You lost. Just admit it. Or what you meant to say was "We will continue to waste our taxpayer's money to further bogus climate change theories".

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    Stupid woman thought she was going to be a social warrior and got her ass handed to her instead.

With a little luck maybe she’ll think twice next time. Then again, maybe not.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned
    posted Hide Post
    Outstanding!!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 229DAK:
    How pathetic. You lost. Just admit it. Or what you meant to say was "We will continue to waste our taxpayer's money to further bogus climate change theories".
    Agreed.

To take it a step further, how many pension plans, 401ks, 403bs, IRAs, etc. have integrated oil & gas, E&P, Marketing, transportation, drilling, services in them as stocks, mutual funds, or ETFs?

On S&P 500 alone:
  • Integrated Oil & Gas - CVX, HES, and XOM
  • Exploration & Production - APA, COG, XEC, CXO, COP, DVN, FANG, EOG, MRO, NBL, OXY, PXD
  • Marketing - HFC, MPC, PSX, VLO,
  • Transportation - KMI, OKE, WMB
  • Drilling - HP
  • Services - BKR, HAL, NOV, SLB, FTI

This is only the first lawsuit. If these State Attorney Generals, City Attorneys, etc. are successful they would wipe out trillions of their own constituents retirement savings.

•