SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 7 is DEAD, long live W7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 7 is DEAD, long live W7 Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Today marks the good W7 End of Life.

You shall be remembered as one of the great ones.

0-0

PS: Of course, I`m sticking with it as long as I can!!!

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
RIP, Win7.

F'ing MS.

That is all.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My old Win 7 laptop is now on Ubuntu. (Linux). The laptop now has a new life.

Give it a try if all you need is general web cruising and e-mail. On the other hand if you want to run something like Turbo Tax, you are out of luck.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

0-0

Amen,with you till my old HP tower dies. It sees little use now with laptops being so cheap. But me and the Grand kids still use it to find anything they or I want to do. Excellent operating program. Hated to see it go.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I still use Windows XP on My Mac VMFusion. The most stable Windows platform ever made IMHO.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

What is the danger?
Malware?
I have a Win7 machine and now also a Win10 machine. So far I still prefer the Win7 machine.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
RIP, Win7.

F'ing MS.

That is all.

-Rob

What? You expected them to support MS-Win7 until the end of time? I'm perhaps the harshest critic of MS-Windows and Microsoft I know, and even I realize that to be unrealistic.

Software, being malleable, can be forever. It rarely is.

In all fairness: Linux distros, even the Long-Term Support (LTS) versions, have much shorter lifetimes than most MS-Windows versions. And MS-Windows usually upgrades a damn sight better.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
What is the danger?
Malware?

Yes.

And even if not the OS, directly, apps that run on it that can no longer be updated because newer versions aren't supported on deprecated OS versions.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Software, being malleable, can be forever. It rarely is.

You will notice there are no follow-on products announced for Windows 10. It may indeed be "forever" Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I use my computer differently than most people, but I really don't care what operating system it is running.

I sit down at my computer, open up whatever program I'm using (Firefox, Chrome, Word, Excel, Quickbooks, Lightroom, whatever) and that's where I spend 100% of my time. The operating system is irrelevant at that point.

Once I have the shortcuts on the desktop or taskbar, I'm good to go.

But like I said, maybe I just use this computer differently than most.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Win7, that good thing.

Now, the demands for Win10.
Why?
Cybercrime.

WinXP - most of the time, malware would crash the OS.

Win7 - malware didn't always work.
Bluekeep (remote execution exploit) the exception.

With Win10, there's an almost 100% chance that malware will work, and one needs to have protection (no SIG pun intended).

But, if you like Win7, keep the hardware, maybe upgrade that hard disk from magnetic (spinning) to a SSD and add more memory.

Laptop? Buy a spare battery or two.

It's a new decade next year ... Win7 should be good to go for at least another 4 years, before the hardware really croaks.

Backup your data.

Maybe plan to move to a Windows Virtual desktop and keep your Win7 alive.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Security could be an issue but I find it that many problems come from:
1) Ancient Hardware
2) Antiquated other software
3) Lack of maintenance
4) Lack of knowledge on how to use a program or device

Security is the hot button to scare people but old hardware and a slower OS is the most debilitating, IMO.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I will keep my WIN 7 box as long as possible.
Because it is the last of Lightroom and Photoshop existing on the HD and not cloud, and no monthly fees.

The version of video editing software is not compatible for WIN 10, and I can't afford to drop $300 bucks on that.

Will build another box for linux, but will use this til she dies.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Windows 7 users:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was a very happy Win 7 guy until the day Win 8 was released. I was so angry that I went out that day and got me a late '12 Mac Mini. I NEVER EVER thought I would go Apple, especially computer related.

I was always a Coke guy growing up, and it would have been like me going over to the Pepsi side. Even when I almost died the day New Coke came out, I just couldn't drink Pepsi since I couldn't stand the taste.

I still have a couple of windows machines, but they run the latest version, which I can just stand. However, I only use them here and there.

Apple will have to do something equally bad to make me leave them since I have iPads, a Mac Mini, iPhones, iPods and Apple TVs.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I used NT4.0 extensively up until Sept 2000, when I became self-employed. Since then, I ran Apple exclusively until I took a desk job last winter. My assigned work PC was running Win7, followed by an upgrade to Win10.

Perhaps because my Windows lineage is NT>Win7>Win10, I don’t know what I’m missing to make me hate Win10 like so many others do. I find ALL of the Windows versions to be archaic and inherently backwards. For example, you cannot drag a file through the directory structure, or you cannot rename an open file from the Windows Explorer, or you cannot click on the title bar to drop down the directory structure. However, I find Win10 to be basically functional and stable, and I’m just as productive on 10 as I was on 7.

I basically don’t understand all the fuss. It’s stable and usable, and is being updated. Win10 seems GTG from basically an outsider to the Windows platform.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have been using an iMac for years. Wound up with an iPhone later. I liked the phone up until I downgraded to pOS 13 and there is no way to get the previous firmware version back on it. Thinking my next phone isn't from Apple.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with SigCrazy. What is the problem? 0-0, the floor is yours. Tell us about how good software was in 2005. Me thinks you're going to step in something here, big time.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I agree with SigCrazy. What is the problem? 0-0, the floor is yours. Tell us about how good software was in 2005. Me thinks you're going to step in something here, big time.

Settle down. Here is what he said:

quote:

0-0

I don't see why his post provoked such a reaction. But you think he's going to step into what, exactly? Roll Eyes

Yes, W7 is end of life. That's simply a fact.

Yes, it /could/ be remembered as one of the great ones, along with Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP and perhaps others which were great for *their* time.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
My laptop is running Win 7........plan on keeping it as long as possible. I don't do much on my laptop anymore since I got an Ipad, but I do still use it occasionally.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that Microsoft will supply Extended Security Updates for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers at a rate of $ 25 per device for the first year rising to $ 50 per device in the second year and $ 100 per device in the third year . Then again some sites claim it will be double that amount . Might be best to ask Microsoft .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post