SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 7 is DEAD, long live W7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 7 is DEAD, long live W7 Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Sigh.

As long as there are computers and market-driven operating systems, there will be lovers and haters.

The only think I know is true is that one day all the apps I want to use will require the latest and greatest.

Sigh.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0-0. A very poor choice of words in my last post. I apologize.

Posts: 7552 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
We use windows 7 and windows 10 at work. We are up grading the old Windows 7 machine software in the coming days. I had no problem with Windows 7. I have an old pc at home that started with XP. It was upgraded to 7. I liked the look of it.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
It’s January 15th and I’m still using W7. If it ever gives up it won’t be replaced by any microsoft product, that’s for sure.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just retired a 2000 HP desktop running XP around the clock for 20 years. I finally got tired of the memory issues, so now I run a Win7 at home.

All my work computers are Win7 no way will I upgrade them, in fact, I bought a few more cheap.

One of my oldest Win7 computers hasn't had an update since 2015 and hasn't missed a beat. If you look at what the Windows updates do, normally they are for stuff you don't run on your computer, like IE.

Win10 will install updates like the one that had the tracking feature that they didn't tell you about, so be aware.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I turned on my Win7 machine this morning and received a blue screen from Microsoft telling me it was the end of the line....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I used NT4.0 extensively up until Sept 2000, when I became self-employed. Since then, I ran Apple exclusively until I took a desk job last winter. My assigned work PC was running Win7, followed by an upgrade to Win10.

Perhaps because my Windows lineage is NT>Win7>Win10, I don’t know what I’m missing to make me hate Win10 like so many others do. I find ALL of the Windows versions to be archaic and inherently backwards. For example, you cannot drag a file through the directory structure, or you cannot rename an open file from the Windows Explorer, or you cannot click on the title bar to drop down the directory structure. However, I find Win10 to be basically functional and stable, and I’m just as productive on 10 as I was on 7.

I basically don’t understand all the fuss. It’s stable and usable, and is being updated. Win10 seems GTG from basically an outsider to the Windows platform.

I have fond memories of NT 4.0.
It is what I was originally trained and certified on.
I have had clients run it well past 2000 - in fact in I had to migrate them off NT to Server 2008.
THAT was quite an ordeal considering the limitations of NT, had to do with a Hyper-V VM.
It was tricky.
The problem I always have is people stretching out an OS to get every drop of value only to give it back $$ in the extra time and steps of a migration.
No doubt the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" does not apply. Eek

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I turned on my Win7 machine this morning and received a blue screen from Microsoft telling me it was the end of the line....

I'm running Win7 and got nothing of the like this morning.

Hmmm....

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I have fond memories of NT 4.0.

I have semi-fond memories of NT 4.0. <looks over at bookshelf...> Still have my Windows NT Server 4 book on the shelf Smile At first I actually really liked it. Even got to thinking, for a bit, "Hmmm... This may be better than Unix." So we deployed a server at work--complete with Exchange Server. Gave it top-notch hardware. To make sure I got it right, we even hired a top-notch consultant to help me through the deployment. (I've always been a "belt and suspenders" guy wrt such things.)

Suffice it to say it did not go well. After about a year of that I told my boss "Get that thing the hell out of my server room. If the department that feels they have to have it feels that strongly about it, let them deal with administering and maintaining it." And that was the end of my love affair with MS-Windows servers. Never again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I agree with SigCrazy. What is the problem? 0-0, the floor is yours. Tell us about how good software was in 2005. Me thinks you're going to step in something here, big time.

Nah! Done that before. Not too long ago.

While i love fresh hardware like any other nerd, i say that your dox, spreadsheets, pic, emails, most media formats, etc. haven't changed much the past 20+ years. Those who really NEED to ride the tech wave are those whose investment in new hardware returns fast because they're saving a considerable amount of time.

Most of use could still keep using W97, XP or W7 without noticing. Our needs haven't changed that much, nor the basic programs that support them. The rest is the industry dragging us forward. Sometimes bitching and screaming.

Just look at what you really use and consider how far have you had to change since W97 (95 rel. C).

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I got the notice on my screen this morning that 7 was no longer supported. Then a couple of hours later I got two separate updates to my Win 7. Maybe Microsoft planted a virus Big Grin

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did, too. Then I got a screen telling me what nonsupport meant and suggesting I upgrade to W10 and a new machine (recommended NOT upgrading on the same machine).

I'm happy with W7Pro and will continue until it won't work any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I will stick with W7 until the crows come home.
Avast security and CleanUp keeps it running smoothly and peace of mine.

https://www.avast.com/en-us/lp...4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
So we deployed a server at work--complete with Exchange Server.
Gave it top-notch hardware.

Suffice it to say it did not go well. After about a year of that I told my boss "Get that thing the hell out of my server room. If the department that feels they have to have it feels that strongly about it, let them deal with administering and maintaining it." And that was the end of my love affair with MS-Windows servers. Never again.

I don't know what your issues were but back then with NT 4.0, Exchange 5.5 was out.
It was always working well, IMO but individual circumstances may vary.
Sometimes something else is more appropriate and sometimes when you don't understand something you go elsewhere.
Back then a lot of technology was in it's infancy - can't really blame it all on Microsoft unless you just want to.
TCP/IP NAT didn't exist - Proxy Servers were used, Dial Up was the common speed and if you were lucky enough ISDN then the big boys got a T1.
Bandwidth now it is not even a factor.
NT 4.0 primary partition was limited to 4GB, the hardware back then seems like a distant joke.
Regardless of what you like - technology has come a LONG way.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I enjoyed NT4 as well. Sometimes comolicated but solid.
Used to be the IT guy for the local branch of Sempra Utilities, a Fortune 500 company, and they were big on Exchange Servers but they spent more time TU than working.

They started with inhouse support, switched to dedicated support, then third companies support. Heads kept rolling. It was a bloodbath.

Guess I learned most of my IT excuses, apologies and bogus explanations from speaking with the everchanging person in charge on the other end of the line.

Good times Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Strange. My computer did a restart overnight. This usually results from an update occurring. If W7 is no longer supported, why would there be an update?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Strange. My computer did a restart overnight. This usually results from an update occurring. If W7 is no longer supported, why would there be an update?

flashguy

A computer won't usually automatically restart unless configured to do so.
It could be from some prior/old unapplied updates.
It doesn't mean Windows updates won't work it just means no new updates.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I did, too. Then I got a screen telling me what nonsupport meant and suggesting I upgrade to W10 and a new machine (recommended NOT upgrading on the same machine).

I'm happy with W7Pro and will continue until it won't work any more.
flashguy

Well it's alllll right....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got the same screen yesterday morning as well.

I simply clicked on "Don't remind me again."

I'm sure Win 7 will keep on working just like XP did when Win 7 was introduced.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post