SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Wear a Wrist Watch
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Wear a Wrist Watch Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
Just wondering how you are horologically inclined.

So much is electronic these days that I wear a mechanical watch. It's a Ball automatic, not the fanciest but not the cheapest. Although this model is discontinued, I see them on Ebay for about $1,000. Largely it is utilitarian. Time, day, date, that is all.

Question:
Do you generally wear a watch?

Choices:
Generally don't wear a watch
Sometimes
Usually
Always
Even when sleeping

Question:
What type of watch do you generally wear?

Choices:
Smart Watch
Digital
Quartz Analog
Solar Analog (e.g. eco-drive)
Mechanical Analog (wind up)
Mechanical Analog (automatic)

Question:
Price range?

Choices:
$0 - $100
$101 - $1,000
$1,001 - $10,000
$10,001 - $100,000
Over $100,000 (Saudi Princes Only)

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seiko 5 which my mother (RIP) gave to me many years ago.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I filled out your survey. The only thing that did not fit perfectly is that my watch is a solar digital (Casio G-Shock).

Best regards,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
I wear a Citizen Eco Drive Titanium every day, all day. It is light and durable. After three years, it hasn't missed a beat. Simple face with date and chrono.

Posts: 259 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I have many watches, including dress watches.

Depends what I am doing... everyday work, eco drive type or straight quartz analog.

For rough work, I use my cheap Casio digitals.
For cold weather, mechanical or self winding.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I selected the "generally don't wear" option on all questions, only because there wasn't a "never wear" option.

I wore a watch until I started carrying a cell phone. I don't care to wear any type of jewelry at all, and a phone is plenty sufficient for me to keep track of time.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The all-important "why" do you war a watch ...

My truck clock goes blank when a call comes in. Sometimes, but not always, when on a road trip, I wear a watch for that reason. Also if I'm playing a gig, and am timekeeper, I wear a watch. Sometimes when grilling at my ex-inlaws.

That's about it.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I selected the "generally don't wear" option on all questions, only because there wasn't a "never wear" option.

I wore a watch until I started carrying a cell phone. I don't care to wear any type of jewelry at all, and a phone is plenty sufficient for me to keep track of time.

+1 Before cell phones I wore a watch every day. I had a habit of constantly checking it. I work in IT, from home 100%, and rarely leave the house. We have clocks scattered all over, plus on my desktop. Don't really miss it.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Apple Watch, every day, $600.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fancy feller. My "dress" watch is a Fossil. My watch most days is a good old Timex Ironman.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bounce between either my Rolex Explorer 2 or Submariner and a 40$ Gshock or $200 Seiko mechanical diver depending on what I’m doing or location I plan to be that day. Usually don’t wear the Rolex while on vacation

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you wear a wrist watch= No

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I always have a watch on my wrist except when I shower or when I'm sleeping. At home, 90% of the time I wear my Tag Carrera. The other times, like when I'm at the gym or on the slopes or hiking a trail, I'll be wearing either my Casio ProTrek or my Timex Ironman.

On the ship I wear a Timex Ironman 100% of the time. It's the perfect watch for that type of environment. A great work watch.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yes I usually wear a watch, a Citizen BL5250-02L Eco Drive. Don't want to have to dig my phone out of my pocket to check the time. Also good as a timer when exercising/stretching or otherwise keeping track of elapsed time.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

+1 Before cell phones I wore a watch every day. I had a habit of constantly checking it. I work in IT, from home 100%, and rarely leave the house. We have clocks scattered all over, plus on my desktop. Don't really miss it.

Good point about the on-screen clock. I'm in IT as well and probably use the on-screen clock more than I use my phone.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I always wear a watch. I like the diver style and it can go pretty much everywhere I go, from the office to the river to the ocean. I wore a Rolex Submariner for a number of years. After it was stolen, I could not justify spending the $$$ to replace it. I am currently doing a rotation between three Steinharts; the Ocean 1 Black, the Ocean 1 Bronze and the Vintage GMT.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I quit wearing watches for years. Working in the field I didn't want to damage them. I'm in an office now, so I wear one daily. No battery powered ones, mechanical only. Going to post pictures in the watch thread soon, here's a quick & dirty pic of what I'm wearing right now. Not a bad watch for $60:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Casio F105, ~$15. I wear it for work to keep on time. It's thin enough to wear under several layered sleeves and two pairs of gloves. It's cheap so the abuse it sees doesn't matter. Taking it fishing and submerging it in salt and fresh water has had no effect.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I'd like too.

I have my eyes on a Seiko SARB 033. It's a Japanese import model. Maybe I'll talk to Dave.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A watch is a tool. It's useful because it allows me to get a good approximation of the time of day or night.

I own a good number of tools costing well over $1000. But there's never been ONE F'IN WRISTWATCH among them!

A simple ultra low buck Casio digital wristwatch tells the time as accurately and reliably as I have ever needed. These are so inexpensive they are almost a "disposable " item. If I require the exact time, I use my cell phome.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post