SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soot from Fireplace insert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soot from Fireplace insert Login/Join 
posted
What is the best way to clean the soot from the glass of a fireplace insert. I can clean it when it is cool with water and ash from the firebox. What about when it is hot?

Posts: 245 | Location: Ventura, California | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run it hotter with some really dry wood sorta close to the glass.

Assuming you have an airwash system, this will actually burn the soot off as you go.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I clean my glass doors with vinegar water and newspaper but only when completely cooled.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Be careful cleaning it when it's hot, I would be worried about thermally shocking the glass and cracking it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Clean when they are totally cold windex or I make a mixture of soap water and vinegar which works just like windex but cheap. 2 cups water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap. put it in a sprayer and have at it.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post