SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What happened to searchlights for promotions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to searchlights for promotions? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Don't know why this thought crossed my mind.

Growing up, big searchlights were popular at openings for stores, and shopping centers and car dealership events. I could sit on our porch and watch them.

But I can't remeber the last time I saw any being used, certainly not in the last 20 years.

Was it just a fad, rising costs, or regulation that stoppe these interesting lights from happening?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yup I was thinking the same thing just the other night.

(Of course I was out it the yard with a big ass spot light doing my own at the time). Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were Military surplus, have a generator and carbon arc. Lots of labor.

http://www.victorysearchlights.com/jbl5.htm

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Saw them all the time when I was a kid. Not so much nowadays.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Can't see them due to light pollution?

They trigger snowflakes into believing there's a zeppelin bombing about to happen? Razz

+1 on truckola's points. Expensive to operate. The equipment is rare or very custom now.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my two cents, but could it be that searchlights have just outgrown their military usefulness? When I was a kid, immediately after WWII they would have been surplus and plentiful. Latter on, one of the Army Reserve units in my town was part of a search light batallion
I would just guess that they are rare now. I can not imagine someone buying a newly manufactured one for commercial use. Just too expensive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gutpile Charlie,

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Replaced by lasers.

From "Let there be light" to "Bring the Burn".

Ever moving forward.

Ghost Riders in the Sky.

What you don't know, can kill you.

You can run but you only die tired.

Sleep well, we own the night...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know, last summer there was a big shin dig across the river and they had searchlights.

That said, I have not seen to much of them in reasent years.

I do remember in my youth there being a lot more of them.

Arman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Don't know why this thought crossed my mind.

Growing up, big searchlights were popular at openings for stores, and shopping centers and car dealership events. I could sit on our porch and watch them.

But I can't remeber the last time I saw any being used, certainly not in the last 20 years.

Was it just a fad, rising costs, or regulation that stoppe these interesting lights from happening?

I note that we are both from Virginia. When I was small growing up in Richmond, the State Fair would announce its presence with two searchlights illuminating the night sky. It was exciting to see them from my backyard.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Most cities in MN have passed ordinances to prohibit them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Last time I remember seeing one it was at Disney World.
They used to use them at Pleasure Island at Down Town Disney.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
They do emit a particle smoke that may now be prohibited by some municipalities.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Saw some last weekend on the way to the shore.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There is so much smog in some areas, nobody can see them, and it highlights all the impurities.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I used to see them all the time too, though they were only for pumpkin patches and X'mas tree lots. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember searchlights very well. I also remember hot air balloon rides. The balloon was always tethered but it still looked cool. Never got to do that, the lines were long and my Dad was not the kind to wait in line.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm Batman.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'm Batman.

That's nice, but can you please put some pants on?

Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Because nobody's gonna look up from their phones to see them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
It made my parents a little apprehensive. It reminded them of WWII Europe.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post