New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never forget Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Sitting here at my desk and no mention through email, pager, announcement about 9/11/01 or 9/11/2012.

I work for the Corps of Engineers as a supply technician now... sad that it seems as if the Army has forgotten.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
343 - All gave some.... Some gave all

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Wow, what a day. I don't allow myself to think about it often - after this post I will likely avoid the topic as long as I can.

Fate was such that my unit deployed shortly after 9/11 and we were able exact a large measure of retribution against those savages, which was very cathartic personally.

It doesn't make up for it, but having seen first hand what we did, I know they reaped the fucking whirlwind, which they never expected.

/Respectful nod.

I'm glad you got that, for all of us, most especially those who never saw 9/12/2001.

I also don't allow myself to think about it much. It puts me in a dark place.

On the day of, I was sleeping in a bit late on my first semester of college, only a few weeks in, about six hours upstate from NYC. I didn't have a morning class that day. One of my study partners called my room and woke me up. "Hey it's Lisa, do you know what's happening?" I grumbled something and she told me to turn on my TV and set it to the campus news channel. I did so just in time to process that one of the WTC towers was on fire and then watched an aircraft hit the second tower. I was alone, but on the phone with a friend and we both watched it happen at the same time. It went from a "what the Hell is going on?" moment to instant realization that this was no accident. Shortly after, my roommate showed up, as all classes had been dismissed. We were both more than a little stunned. We agreed to go to the student union building and see what else we could find out. As soon as we opened the doors, we heard anguished wailing. There were several huge screens in the main lobby and they were all showing a feed of the buildings. Being a cheap state college up in the piney woods was an attractant to quite a few kids from the city, so there was no shortage of kids in that room that had family in those buildings, and they were huddled in tight masses in front of the screens. And then the first tower fell. All conversation stopped, and a number of students went right to the floor, hysterical. I can only assume they were watching what they believed was the demise of a loved one. I don't know how long we stayed, but we left shortly after the second tower fell. Classes were canceled and we honestly had no idea what was going on. My roommate and I were friends in highschool and my house was on the way to his, so we got on the road, didn't say much of anything for the hour drive home, and I spent a few days with my family.

Ten years later, I was living in a small neighborhood near the Boeing facility in Renton, where they make the 737 and the now-grounded MAX. I happened to notice a high percentage of women wearing burkhas while shopping at the Safeway we lived right behind. I didn't think much of it until 9/11/2011. I was up and working in my office with the window open, facing the direction of what turned out to be a neighborhood across the street where all the said burkhas apparently lived. There was a sudden burst of many fireworks, accompanied by a wailing chorus of ululating. This happened a number of times. Each little celebration was in time with the major events, both impacts, both collapses of the towers, and with the other two flights hitting the ground. I closed the window but could still hear it. I fought every urge to drive over there and crash their fucking party.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

My wife worked the Pentagon crime scene for 10 days with her K-9 cadaver dog, along with about 3 dozen other dog teams. It was hard work, for handler and dog, working over concrete rubble piles looking for tiny bits of human DNA mostly. This day remains a sad one for her, every year. We never forget it.

I was at the Pentagon when it was hit by flight 77.. I was part of a Verizon line crew pulling in cable into the Pentagon CO at the time. Heard the plane, felt the explosion, saw the fireball and ran like everyone else into the south parking lot. One Verizon employee lost her life that day. A close friend. I was part of the crew that ran communications working 12-18 hour days for a lot of 3 letter agencies for up to 6 months afterwards. Saw the dump trucks carrying the driver and FBI agents going to the north parking lot full of plane parts, building parts, body parts, purses, bags, etc where everything was dumped and processed by over 300 FBI agents in heavy duty tyvec suits & PPE gear.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
For those who have younger kids
https://havokjournal.com/natio...bout-september-11th/

It talks about how to talk about 9/11 with younger kids, my wife and I both agree we will not let them forget either.

With my older sons I quite bluntly talked through the events then showed them the savages celebrating....then I told them something I remind them of every so often "Understand they want to kill you"..."there is no negotiating with them"

I was on the road in a hotel room when it happened.....since I was between reserve units units due to a move I found one pretty quick

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Two days that I will never forget.
  1. Pearl Harbor. I was just a couple of weeks short of my fifth birthday so I did not really understand what was happening, but I knew it was something serious because my family was in the living room of my grandmother's place, listening to the big floor-standing console radio. I had never seen them so serious. That is one of the last memories I have of my father, who had four months to live.

2. 9/11/2001. I stumbled through that day and the next in total shock. Every time I heard patriotic music (National Anthem, "America the Beautiful," or "God Bless America") on the radio, I could not help crying.
I was angry, I regretted that I was too old (just turning 64 at the time) to reenlist.
I'm in a similar boat, V-Tail--I was 2 weeks short of 4yo on Pearl Harbor Day. I guess I'm a year younger than you. I, too, wasn't aware of the importance of the attack at that age, just that all the adults were very upset.

On 9-11 I was not up yet, heard the first reports when my clock radio came on, and went to watch on the TV. Not much happened at work that day--people too traumatized to do much. The one TV set in the building was in a break area, and folks sort of circulated in and out of the space. I was angry and sad, but knew there was nothing I could do about it.

We must never forget those events, and must be prepared to forestall repeats of them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
To my recollection, I don’t remember ever feeling RAW FURY as I did about that day. People jumping to their death, people on the ground having to dodge them, people crashing a plane to keep it from being used against others, emergency workers entering and ascending a WTC building knowing it will come down since the other one already did, etc etc etc.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para....

My office was in the Pentagon, but I wasn't in it. I saw the planes hit from overhead monitors in a train station in Dusseldorf, with a bunch of AF GOs, and we spent that day and the next trying to beg a ride out of USAFE. All air traffic was shut down, commercial and otherwise, communication was chaos, and we managed to hop a departing C141 back to Andrews. Within 48 hours a penetrator with an FAE landed on a certain cave in Afghanistan, missing UBL but vaporizing some things he thought were important. I spent the next 18 months in the Pentagon basement with the AF Crisis Action Team and Checkmate developing the follow on response and future plans to answer this attack on our soil, our flag and our countrymen. With extreme prejudice. My heartfelt gratitude and thanks to those who served and are serving, to their families, and to our comrades who will not return. We will never, never forget. Never.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the time was working to support NSF Thurmont, living a couple minutes away. The night before i pulled the night shift so had only been in bed a short while. At the time didnt have a landline and cell phone reception was zero. Awoke to pounding on my door, saw it was my boss and his boss. I opened the door and rushed in, told me to get geared up time to go to work, they made a run for the TV (they didnt have immediate access to one at the office). Couple of minutes later I was out the door waiting for the exodus to arrive from DC...

Posts: 678 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para for the page header also.

For me I was a few days into my freshman year of college in Milwaukee. Someone mentioned a plane crash at one of the World Trade towers as we boarded the elevator that morning for class. My first thought was something small, definitely not commercial, and a bad accident much like the B25 that crashed into the Empire State Building.

It was only after getting to my class that word spread of a second crash from someone else in the room and before the session was over news that one of the buildings had collapsed. The reality that of this being an attack and an evil on at that quickly sank in.

Classes ended up being cancelled for the rest of the day and most of the rest of it was spent glued to the TV coverage and checking in with loved ones. I still recall how perfect the weather was that day in Milwaukee, sunny, bright clear blue sky and warm...much like NYC that day also.

It was the events of that day that made me more aware of the actions of firefighters, other than riding around in shiny firetrucks and ultimately led me into my path in the fire service and now as a full-time firefighter myself.

Over the years I have made my way to ground zero which was a humbling experience. For as much as we may de-ride NYC and all of their liberal BS, it is worth a trip to the memorial, though I strongly suggest bringing Kleenex.

Outside of NYC, the most moving memorial I witnessed was back in Milwaukee on the 15th anniversary of 9-11:

343 sets of turnout gear with each set memorializing a member lost on that day, simple yet powerful to say the least.

I have never forgotten even as all these years have passed, hard to believe it was 18 years ago already.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to contemplate the meaning of this day.

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Never forget...ever.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHnadJ-0hE

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OCgMPX2mE

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I was driving to school to teach. The two hosts on the radio were talking about some but damnit, wouldn’t say what. Finally, on said “Guess we should be serious.” It was then I heard on the first plane. As my planning period was 1st period, I watched the second plan hit.
The rest of the day was full or rumor and false claims. By the end of the day students had worked themselves you to ridiculous levels. I looked at my co-teacher,he nodded, and I let the SGM out. People shit up and we had a good discussion.
The next week I called to see it they’d recall me. Their answer was “too.” Too old, too broke, too much rank.
I went home and put out my flag. It, or it’s replacement, stayed up until May 2, 2011. The next day a teacher came into our office almost in tears. Seems students were cheering Ben laden’s death. “He was a human being” was her cry. Tea and sympathy was brought out and she was reassured she needed a safe space. One teacher turned to me and said “You’re pretty conservative, what do you think?” My reply was I’d lost a friend at the Pentagon. That I was satisfied that Osama Ben Laden would never hurt another human being. I was glaring at the other teacher.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy1004:
Thank you Para for the page header also.

Two times!

I was on an EMS call very early that morning before getting off shift. When we got back the news was still thinking it was an accident. Then the second one hit...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

I let the SGM out.
What is "SGM?" Acronym finder gave me dozens of definitions, none of which seem to fit the context of your post.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Wondering the same. 3 up and 3 down? Sgt. Major?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Wondering the same. 3 up and 3 down? Sgt. Major?

That would be three up and four down

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
This man did not forget. At the Ground Zero ceremony yesterday, reminding those who might have forgotten who did this to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv59fY5V3-k

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^I am surprised they allowed that,especially on C-SPAN. Don't get me wrong, I hope more people spread the message about the vile scum they are.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 8 years old and watching Rugrats before school. My mom worked overnights at the time. She ran in the door and told my dad to turn on the news. I watched for a bit (to include the second plane) and then went to school. My dad owned an auto parts store at the time and he didn't even open that day. As an 8 year old, I knew it was a big deal when dad stayed home and picked me up from school.

At that age, I guess I didn't really grasp the enormity of the day at the time. I remember my mom talking about how she and dad had to just go outside for a bit in the afternoon because they had to escape the TV coverage. While they were outside in the back yard, a plane flew over: Air Force One. Only plane in the sky after everyone was grounded. Something I distinctly remember about 9/11 in Eastern Iowa: The weather. It was a perfect late-summer day. Sunny, blue skies, sparse white clouds. Just perfect.

I was 20 when the Boston Marathon bombing occurred. I remember the 24/7 news cycle on that event and thinking how it just must have paled in comparison to 9/11 in scope and scale.

To this day, I am fascinated with the stories of 9/11, from the plot's planning and execution to the stories of everyday people doing extraordinary things to help each other. Every year, I am met with profound sadness to have witnessed the worst day in American history.

My mom told me before I went to school that day that for the rest of my life, I would remember where I was, and what I was doing when I found out what happened; how right she was. I will certainly never forget.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I was building a computer data center for Johns Hopkins University, The Applied Physics Lab. After watching the second plane hit the tower on my hotel room TV, I was just sick. It took me three seconds to know it was an attack.

Everything shut down on the east coast. Everything. Even Johns Hopkins shut down the lab. I walked around the streets in a bit of a daze. Everyone was.

There was no transportation moving. Buses, trains, planes, everything was shut down. I had to drive from Maryland back to Minnesota with my rental car. In all it was a five day trip. I spent most of the time in absolute despair.

I am not one to be given to emotion, but this is pretty much the only event that makes be cry. Every year.

Never forget.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post