SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a recommendation for a slick plate carrier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a recommendation for a slick plate carrier Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I have used a PIG Brig low profile plate carrier as a weight vest for running and working out for 2 years now.

It's held up well, but all the salt and sweat in Hawaii tested its limits.

It's time to order a new one and my biggest complain about the PIG systems is that they are made for people with a pencil neck. Everything I have from them rubs both sides of my neck.

I'm not "swoll" or anything, actually a fairly small guy so can someone recommend a simple plate carrier that has more anatomically positioned should straps?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
One of T-rex Arms' new AC1 plate carriers? Steep price for a weight vest, though.

Unlike many other plate carrier mfgs, their stock numbers are real. If it's in stock, it'll ship to you promptly. Not stuff like...cough cough Crye...allowing you to order and then having a 6 month lead time.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
One of T-rex Arms' new AC1 plate carriers? Steep price for a weight vest, though.

Unlike many other plate carrier mfgs, their stock numbers are real. If it's in stock, it'll ship to you promptly. Not stuff like...cough cough Crye...allowing you to order and then having a 6 month lead time.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, currently out of stock but I'll keep checking. I don't mind paying a little more if its comfortable.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mayflower Assault Plate Carrier, which matches to their UW rig. Versatile set-up, Velocity Systems bought Mayflower as they were the next generation of tactical nylon brands that understood everything didn't need to be made using 1000D Nylon thus reducing weight and bulk; the founder is a former SF CIF operator. They have a small variety that may work for you.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
First Spear Slick.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I'll second Mayflower. I have what used to be called (IIRC) the Low Profile Carrier. Similar to the current Law Enforcement Carrier, but with alot less velcro.

Doesn't have miles of molle loops, but with the swift clip attachments, can go from carrier only, to ammo loadout
in seconds. High quality, and as corsair stated, BTDT designed.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I really like that Velocity Systems LE plate carrier but there is one fatal flaw.

I do a LOT of running and moving around while working out. So that constant flapping of the buckles would drive me crazy. Maybe I can secure them somehow.

The T-REX arms fits the bill it would seem with the removeable buckles.

The First Spear offering doesn't give me confidence that the material would hold up to working out and being on the ground etc. Abrasions would likely cut the life of that material considerably shorter.

(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
If you a only going to use it as a weight vest would something like the Brute Force vest work for you? Scalable up to 40 lbs, way cheaper, and in stock....

https://www.urbruteforce.com/c...erator-weighted-vest

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
5.11 TacTec- its very comfortable, especially for those with a big chest, and its the official weight carrier for the Crossfit games.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I really like that Velocity Systems LE plate carrier but there is one fatal flaw.

I do a LOT of running and moving around while working out. So that constant flapping of the buckles would drive me crazy. Maybe I can secure them somehow.

The clips can be removed or reinstalled by design. It's almost a pain in the ass to do either, which isn't really bad, as the clips are very robust.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
5.11 TacTec- its very comfortable, especially for those with a big chest, and its the official weight carrier for the Crossfit games.

Another vote for 5.11. I originally got mine for working out, but then my son wanted one, so we opted for Level IIIA curved plates. We wanted them to weigh in at 20lbs.

They have multitudes of adjustment, and pretty much can be made “custom fit” to your body. You don’t even notice the weight, and they breathe much better than other vests I have used. They may seem expensive, but they are worth it. And if by chance you can find them on sale, or get a first responder discount, the price goes down. I think I paid ~$120. But after 6yrs of daily abuse, it has held up well.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Found a like-new Mayflower APC for $150.00

I have some 13 lb training plates and soon as I clean up the 7 lb plates that rusted a tiny bit in Hawaii I'll have a good mix for some weight variations from 9-28 lb counting the carrier.

The APC also has the kangaroo pouch to store a phone as I hate having anything on my skin when I am running (watch, phone, even a key in my pocket irritates me)

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
You got a great deal, considering what they sell for shipped new.

What type of plates do you use that weigh 13#? That's way heavier than a typical AR500 plate.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
You got a great deal, considering what they sell for shipped new.

What type of plates do you use that weigh 13#? That's way heavier than a typical AR500 plate.

It's not a ballistic plate. It's specifically a thick ass metal plate for conditioning.

Though given its thickness I would honestly trust it over nothing.

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
Until a few minutes ago, I didn't know conditioning/training plates existed.

Man, those are about 1/2 inch thick.

You're good against crew served weapons on your runs! Big Grin

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Until a few minutes ago, I didn't know conditioning/training plates existed.

Man, those are about 1/2 inch thick.

You're good against crew served weapons on your runs! Big Grin

Good news is they are way cheaper than trying to find out of date ballistic plates or using actual certified plates for burpees! Smile