SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac mouse options?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac mouse options? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
I have been using the wired mouse that came with my machine but, find the wire is a little cumbersome and gets in the way of free movement from time to time. What I have been looking at on line is an Apple bluetooth mouse, what I want to know is are they as good and reliable as the ones from Logitech with the USB receiver and do they work as well.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Apple BlueTooth mouse for several years. No reliability problems, no connection problems, like many things Apple, "it just works."

The only negative: it does seem to go through batteries faster than I expected. Doesn't really cost anything, I use Eneloop rechargeables and always have a couple of spares charged and ready to go.

Yes, I recommend it. Another advantage of BlueTooth is that it does not preempt a USB port.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have been using the Apple BlueTooth mouse for several years- "it just works."

The only negative: it does seem to go through batteries faster than I expected.

Spot on I agree 100%. It's got good ergonomics and feels good in the hand.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Another happy Apple Bluetooth mouse user

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I use the Trac-Pad. I find it easier than the traditional mouse and it works great.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I like the trackpad.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have been using the Apple BlueTooth mouse for several years. No reliability problems, no connection problems, like many things Apple, "it just works."

The only negative: it does seem to go through batteries faster than I expected. Doesn't really cost anything, I use Eneloop rechargeables and always have a couple of spares charged and ready to go.

Yes, I recommend it. Another advantage of BlueTooth is that it does not preempt a USB port.

This here.. but if you can find a first generation mouse I'd stick to that. The newer ones have to be charged and you cant use the mouse when it's charging.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I use the Magic Mouse 2. I like it but I think the Magic Trackpad 2 would be quite a bit better.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple Magic Mouse, best mouse I have ever used period. I also use Eneloop rechargeables.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Apple Magic Mouse, best mouse I have ever used period. I also use Eneloop rechargeables.

Same story here. I find the battery charge time is heavily dependent on how much you use the device. I have a magic mouse and magic trackpad, and the trackpad gets little use. I use EneloopPro's, and the mouse lasts about a month on a charge, the trackpad about six months. When you have charged batteries standing by, it is minimal inconvenience to swap them out. The only time I take notice of the remaining charge on the mouse is prior to doing a point upgrade or a system install. You'll want a good charge for those.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
A happy trackpad user here. The newer Magic Trackpad uses USB to recharge its battery.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
I like the trackpad.

+1

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've used the Apple bluetooth mouse and it's fine, but I don't particularly like it. I want a scroll wheel and side buttons.

Recently I've been using a Logitech MX Master 2S. It is a GREAT mouse. Good ergonomics and great buttons.

It also has the benefit that it works with the little Logitech USB receivers (one is included), with Bluetooth (I use mine with my MacBook Pro through Bluetooth without a USB receiver), and wired with a micro-USB cable (which also charges it).

Another benefit if you use multiple machines (which I sometimes do) or dual-boot OS X/Windows (which I do) - the mouse stores three connection profiles internally and has a little button on the underside of the mouse to switch between them. I connected it to OS X using profile 1 and to Windows using profile 2 - so when I switch OSes, I just hit the button on the bottom of the mouse and it works seamlessly, no irritating Bluetooth pairing each time.

I've used a lot of different mice and it is my favorite by a lot.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
I like the trackpad.

+1

+2

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've used a Kensington Orbit with every computer since my first Mac (Performa 6116CD). The first one had a larger ball but I like the current optical version that's out now. It's wired but it doesn't matter because it doesn't move.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kens...lack-Silver/14235463

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have the Magic Mouse 2 and am very happy with it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
ditto the V-tail tale.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
A happy trackpad user here. The newer Magic Trackpad uses USB to recharge its battery.

+1

A couple of notes:

1) When I notice the battery is low, I will plug it into a Lightning cable and let it charge up while I take a break.
2) I can monitor the charge of the battery by enabling the Bluetooth menu item. It will show every Bluetooth device and let you quickly connect and view the power state.
3) There is an app (MMBI) on the App Store that for $4 will do give you a menu item sepcific to the battery, with configuration options (like setting an alert when the battery is low).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I like the trackpad way more than I ever liked a mouse.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I use the Apple Magic Mouse (AA battery type, they do run out too quickly); but I've always had good luck with Logitech mice and keyboards.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post