SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a DE Razor for a Rookie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a DE Razor for a Rookie Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Ok, I'm done with Gillette razors/cartridges. I want to move to a DE razor, so the question becomes, which one? After watching a bunch of YouTube videos and reading online, I've noted the following razors seem to be well liked and very popular as a starting point. I'd really like to start with something relatively inexpensive (~$30), and then if I grow to like DE shaving, move up from there. If it matters, I have a medium beard and sensitive skin.

Question:
So what would you recommend?

Choices:
Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur MK23C
Parker 91R
Something else

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Love my EJ DE89L

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
go to an antique store and find a Gillette "Ball End Tech" DE razor. This is a three piece razor that is very mild.

They can be had for as little as $5.00 or as much as $50.00.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm using an old 1974 Schick Krona.
It's the best shave I've ever had.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
Some great vintage razors out there at antique shops as mentioned as well as eBay. I have a nice Gillette Super Speed from 1954 as well as a Flair Tip from the early 60's. Both give a nice mild shave but of course, that can be tweaked with the blade you use. Love em.

I do have a vintage British WWII Bakelite DE razor that has a mild side and an aggressive side. Takes a bit of finest but I'm enjoying its close shave.

Cost: about 20 bucks (for the Brit) and 10 bucks each shipped for the Gillettes. Give em a good cleaning and it's good times.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Rockwell 6C... exchangeable base plates allows you to tailor the shave based on your comfort level & whisker type/height.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Love my EJ DE89L

Same here with an Astra blade

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
go to an antique store and find a Gillette "Ball End Tech" DE razor. This is a three piece razor that is very mild.

Dave

Yep. Doesn't even have to be a ball end. The Gillette Tech is what most modern 3 piece DE's are based on, if not an outright copy of. They sold them for over sixty years with mostly only cosmetic changes. I have a late 40's undated gold fat handle Tech that's a nice, mild shaver. It's my travel razor, as the whole thing breaks down into pieces that fit nicely in a pill bottle with a five pack of blades, and a little toilet paper wrapping to keep everything from clanking around.

Hard to go wrong with just about any era of Gillette SuperSpeed. As discussed in another thread today, the red tip is the most aggressive and the blue tip is the most mild, with black tip and flair tips being the middle of the road, equivalent in head geometry to the original SuperSpeed.

If you have to go modern, I have no experience with the ones listed. I have only bought vintage. With a lot of the modern DE razors, they'll advertise a stainless steel handle, but the head or baseplate or both are zamak. Drop it in the sink or on a tile floor once, and it's toast. But, I talked a friend into DE razors and suggested this Wilkinson Sword set to get him going since I saw some good shave reviews on it. He loves it. $16 is hard to beat if you're just looking to dip your toe in the pool:
https://www.amazon.com/Wilkins...WJZK6NFZEDY61SSTGV1X

There's also an ongoing thread with more and various info here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5870047154

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For you guys recommending an old 'vintage' Gillette, is this something worth considering?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-...p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinta...e:g:ZTQAAOSw0AxdkpaN

Just a quick search on Ebay returned over 1700 possible options and I feel as though I don't a clue what I'm really looking for. Can you educate me a bit so I can search with a bit of knowledge?

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
For you guys recommending an old 'vintage' Gillette, is this something worth considering? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-...p2060353.m1438.l2649

Just a quick search on Ebay returned over 1700 possible options and I feel as though I don't a clue what I'm really looking for. Can you educate me a bit so I can search with a bit of knowledge?

Hi Mike,
That will work.
Just don't get carried away w/ the "Old vintage Gillettes are the only way to go." I did and made the mistake of avoiding modern razors like those listed in your OP.
Modern razors can be quite good too.
I have two Super Speeds like you have linked and they work great.
I think I sent you some sample blades earlier this year? If you need more let me know. Smile

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
For you guys recommending an old 'vintage' Gillette, is this something worth considering? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-...p2060353.m1438.l2649

Hi Mike,
That will work.
Just don't get carried away w/ the "Old vintage Gillettes are the only way to go." I did and made the mistake of avoiding modern razors like those listed in your OP.
Modern razors can be quite good too.
I have two Super Speeds like you have linked and they work great.
I think I sent you some sample blades earlier this year? If you need more let me know. Smile
No sir, the blades you sent me have been sitting on top of my sink as a weekly reminder to do something. Thanks again for them.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
First one shows signs of corrosion on the head that could lead to plating issues, second one has a plastic handle, fwiw.

Those aren't bad finds at those prices, but if you want to dig in a bit, watch this youtube channel because this guy is the guy who has basically taken up the helm of preserving vintage Gillette history. Matt Pisarcik, founder of Razor Emporium. Good reading here:
http://www.razorarchive.com

This is a featurette of the guy who got him into the business.

He also does all kinds of reviews of modern stuff as well:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RazorEmporium/playlists

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Okay, a slight thread drift, I just came back to DE shaving and love it. I have a vague memory of a razor handle that had a threaded knob on the handle. When unscrewed it opened the top halves of the razor for access to change the blade. Anyone know the name of these, are they still available?

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Okay, a slight thread drift, I just came back to DE shaving and love it. I have a vague memory of a razor handle that had a threaded knob on the handle. When unscrewed it opened the top halves of the razor for access to change the blade. Anyone know the name of these, are they still available?

This is exactly what I remember my father using when I was a kid.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right from the linked video(s) from 220 Smudge, if I have the start spot correct, Super Speeds are butterfly operated.
https://youtu.be/McvoXhNxiIA?t=435

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:

This is exactly what I remember my father using when I was a kid.

These are called "twist-to-open" (TTO for short) or "butterfly door" razors, for reasons that are apparent. I have a few. When buying, keep an eye out that the doors stay level when closed, they can sometimes cant a bit, throwing off the blade gap a bit on both sides.

I feel like I need to mention that I'm not at all affiliated with Razor Emporium, I've simply been doing a lot of research into this as a new hobby this last year, and they're an excellent source of information. They also do complete rebuilds and restorations of razors, including plating in a variety of metals. I'm considering sending off a favorite for a refresh package that should have it running smooth and clean for another 65 years.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:

Dave

This is solid advice, I got the same advice when I first got into DE Shaving. Great beginners razor

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I can find my old ball end and I'd ship it to you if you want.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of good starter options....

Butterfly/TTO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M11AY2H/

“Standard” two-piece

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RZDEEC/

Adjustable

https://www.amazon.com/WEISHI-...ouble/dp/B07DN85M7Q/

Of course you can go the vintage Gillette route as well, I have a half dozen or so. Just make sure you get one in good condition.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both of the first 2 on the poll. Both equally good, butI prefer the Merkur. I find the heavy weight of the head exerting the right amount of pressure on my skin for a good shave. The short handle took some getting used to but after few days of shaving, it felt natural.

The razor is a third of the equation. Finding the right blade for your skin and shaving style, and the right cream/soap is the other. Buy a sample pack of blades. You'll have to experiment which one will best fit your shaving style that will cut just right without burns or other issues. Find a quality soap or cream. The only thing I can say is stay away from the canned craps. The propellant in those drys your skin. I personally prefer tallow soaps like Mitchell Wool Fat.

As for vintage razors, theres a high learning curve before you'll know what to buy and not over paying for them.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post