SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a DE Razor for a Rookie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a DE Razor for a Rookie Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, I was going to bring up those things, and post-shave care.

If you don't want to mess with a puck of soap and a brush at first, you can find Cremo brushless shaving cream at Walmart, drug stores, or most grocery stores. It's good stuff, and I often add a dab of it to my lather because it's slick as all get-out. Canned gels or foam, even if you're lucky and it doesn't dry your skin out, tend to quickly clog DE razors. Barbasol does not, however! So if you can't get away from the canned stuff but you're tired of having to rinse under hot water with every stroke, Barbasol is cheap to try. Cremo - ~ $8 for a tube that'll last you most of a year. Barbasol - ~ $1.50 a can that'll last you months. Both way cheaper than Gillette.

I'd never even heard of alum bar until this spring. Whatever you shave with, do yourself a favor and get some alum bar. After you shave, rinse your face with cold water, then wet the alum bar (looks like a little salt block) and run it over your face. It kills bacteria and drastically reduces irritation. Follow up with a splash of witch hazel to further tighten up your pores and disinfect before using whatever you like for an aftershave splash or balm.

Oh, and starting off, a styptic pencil isn't a bad idea either. A Clubman brand pencil is only a buck or two and you can find them in any drug store. I only got myself a few times early on, but this far and away beats screwing around with the bloody toilet paper splotches on your face that only start to bleed again once you pull the toilet paper off. Was really glad to have one when I got myself with my straight razor. A super clean cut and immediate staunching and closure of it resulted in no scar whatsoever after letting it heal properly. I gave a friend the same advice and he sent me a picture of himself holding it with the caption "what is this wizardry? Why have I never heard of this in my life before?"

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Here are a couple of good starter options....

Butterfly/TTO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M11AY2H/
Bought one of these tonight in a different color for ~$14 as a Black Friday sale item. Lots of good reviews online and should give me a starting point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a beginner start with the Wilkinson Sword Classic. It is an el cheapo plastic razor that goes usually from $7-10 on Amazon. It will be sent Royal Mail from the old country.

It it were sold here by Walmart it for sell for like $1.97.

It is what the B&B crowd would refer to as a mild razor.

Another poster recommended Astra blades. While they are excellent, they are manufactured in the Gillette plant in St. Petersburg so they are verboten.

I would suggest Dorco prime blades available on Amazon.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fellas...

First... Sorry for the thread drift to bigdeal.

I just put the last blade in my Mach 3 razor tonight. After the Super Bowl commercial disaster by Gillette, I swore I would ditch them as soon as my stock of blades ran out.

I want to also get into DE shaving, but I want an adjustable. I have looked at the following as I am willing to go all-in and want quality (also nothing made in China). I am considering the following and would like some feedback/recommendations:

• Rex Supply Co. Ambassador = This is modern, expensive, but is 100% American made and is all steel. If you have used one, I would love to know what you think of it.
  • Merkur Progress or the "Mergress" after-market upgraded version
  • Parker Variant
  • Rockwell Model T = Reviews are mixed, some love it, some think it is way overpriced.
  • Gillette Slim Adjustable TTO Adjustable DE Razor in Rhodium from Razor Emporium.

From all of the research I have done, I expect in a couple of years I will own several of these.

What would be your first knowing that there is no going back to a cartridge or disposable razor?

Thanks and sorry again for the drift...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Fellas...

First... Sorry for the thread drift to bigdeal.

I just put the last blade in my Mach 3 razor tonight. After the Super Bowl commercial disaster by Gillette, I swore I would ditch them as soon as my stock of blades ran out.

I want to also get into DE shaving, but I want an adjustable. I have looked at the following as I am willing to go all-in and want quality (also nothing made in China). I am considering the following and would like some feedback/recommendations:

• Rex Supply Co. Ambassador = This is modern, expensive, but is 100% American made and is all steel. If you have used one, I would love to know what you think of it.
  • Merkur Progress or the "Mergress" after-market upgraded version
  • Parker Variant
  • Rockwell Model T = Reviews are mixed, some love it, some think it is way overpriced.
  • Gillette Slim Adjustable TTO Adjustable DE Razor in Rhodium from Razor Emporium.

From all of the research I have done, I expect in a couple of years I will own several of these.

What would be your first knowing that there is no going back to a cartridge or disposable razor?

For an adjustable get the Merkur Futur.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lizardman_u...

Thanks. I have seen mixed reviews on this. Issues like having a slippery handle (I shave in the shower, although that may have to change), head size being too big, over-priced for what it is, etc.

I would like to stick with something from my list.

Thanks again...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fellas...

• I have a GSA, scored in great condition off eBay. Date code is same as mine (1st Qtr 1963). One of my favorite razors, I have a collection approaching the double digits and it is the only adjustable. Still waiting to find the “right” Fatboy..

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    I have the Parker Variant. I don't use it much as I do just fine w/ non-adjustibles and the right blades.
    I like the Variant but I find I do best w/ minimal adjustments. It affords plenty of adjustment but when I go astray too much, I can feel it. If I were new, I would probably not dial the razor above "2" and would do my last pass at "1".
    I do like the grip, build and weight.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    california
    tumbles into the sea
    posted Hide Post
    I started with a Merkur 34C. I like the short handle, and they sell longer handles. 77g - great heft. Razor: Feather.

Great resource: badger and blade

type in your search after a space after the last slash

i.e. example search link

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

• I have no first-hand experience with one yet, but this is absolutely on my hit list of DE razors for a few good reasons. The adjustability is a given. The fact that the head is actually slimmer than a "Fat Boy" razor head means I can actually get under my nose without feeling like I'm about to do serious damage (people forget or discount that the "slim" applies to the head as well as the handle), and it seems to be easier to find a good one in decent condition for less than what the Fat Boys command in price. That's the one I want. I don't want to screw around with changing baseplates on a 3 piece, I want a click dial on the handle.

This afternoon, I snagged an Old Type Gillette open comb with no serial number or date code that I can find. This one has me scratching my head a bit. Still trying to pin it down exactly. The handle body is cracked in multiple places at both ends, but there is no sign that it ever had a barrel screw, and the fitting it would have gone through doesn't have clearance for one anyway. The ball end simply pulls free, as does the fitting that the head threads into. Looks like someone used paper and wax to hold all the pieces together until the last time it was used, and I will know when that was because the blade was still in it, a copper coated Gillette blade with a V2 date code (looks like second quarter of 1950?). The baseplate is fully curved, open comb, no bent or broken teeth, and has the stablizer pins. I'll see what I can do about cleaning it up and properly unitizing the handle, but at the very least, I bought a Pre-1930 Gillette old type open comb head to go on my Tech handle for $6. If it works out, I'll be $16 deep into my travel razor kit, consisting of a three piece razor with a choice of mild or aggressive head with a few packs of blades that fits in a small pill bottle. I've been wanting to experience the aggressive older type of shave with the open comb for a while, and while the 1912 Ever-ready single edge delivers that in abundance, I've been wanting to try to dial it in a bit with a DE since there's so many blade manufacturers.

And yeah, SE is a whole 'nother level leading to the summit of the straight razor, and is partway between in terms of "forgiveness" but produces an amazing shave.

Go browse your antique stores, and thrift shops. That isn't even the best I've done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post