SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hotel room digital key
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel room digital key Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Anybody use this yet?

1) I check-in online ahead of time.

2) Arrive at the hotel, don't need to stop by the front desk? Just go straight to my room?

3) Use my phone at the door to enter. But what if I'm in the room? How does the lock know that I'm in the room and not to unlock the door? Is the signal reception directional?

Is this safe? Or good to go?

ETA: fixed a typo Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't understand your question. Regardless of whether it's activated by a "key" or your phone, the electronic lock should operate the same once you are in the room. You should be able to open the door from inside but a person outside would need a key.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If it's NFC, the range is very short; the phone pretty much needs to be touching the lock to work.

I would probably still use a traditional key provided by the hotel, but that's just me.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think I can recall a hotel door that does not automatically lock.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I do it at Hilton Hotels all the time! Never been a problem for me. Super convenient in fact

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
But what if I'm in the room? How does the lock know that I'm in the room and not to lock the door?

The lock doesn't need to know that you are inside.

It is designed to automatically lock the door whenever it closes; I'm not even sure that these locks can be disabled

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Love the function, wished Marriot did it more.

There is zero chance of you being locked on room unless you flip deadbolt and can't let yourself out! Well, nearly zero, anything can screw up, but it's not part of the design anymore than the knob coming off in your hand!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont think I can recall a hotel door that does not automatically lock.

You must stay in some fancy places. LOL

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear on my question Smile

I walk up from the outside of the room to the door with my phone, the door unlocks. Fine.

As I'm walking around in the room with my phone, why doesn't the door unlock?

I believe this is bluetooth which could have a pretty decent range. If I'm sitting at the room desk which may be near the door, why doesn't the door unlock?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear on my question Smile

I walk up from the outside of the room to the door with my phone, the door unlocks. Fine.

As I'm walking around in the room with my phone, why doesn't the door unlock?

I believe this is bluetooth which could have a pretty decent range. If I'm sitting at the room desk which may be near the door, why doesn't the door unlock?
sorry I have not good answers. Depending on the lock it uses Bluetooth. In most cases a low energy Bluetooth standard. I do not have any of the documentation for the Kaba Lodging locks, ilco seems to the line with Bluetooth technology currently available. I am wondering if you need to flip the deadbolt when you are in the room to keep it locked? But most seem to to automatically relock four seconds later, or 15 if it is programmed for A.D.A. Compliance. I assume the locking mechanism is bypassed when you use the inner handle.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a continuous function. When you open the hotel app and go to the mobile key part you have to activate it each time you want to unlock the door. Once it's unlocked, you open the door, when the door closes it locks again just as with a physical key and the process starts over again.

Some hotels also have the ability to control the TV via app. You download stayconnect mobile app and if the system supports it there's a page on the menu guide that gives you a code to put in the app and voila! Hotel remotes are probably the dirtiest things in the room so the less you have to touch it the better!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How close to the door do I need to be in order to unlock it with my phone? With a regular key, I almost have to touch the sensor pad.

Using a BT phone, can I be 10 feet away and unlock the door? Do I need to press a button on the phone to unlock it?

Just wanting to make sure the door doesn't unlock when I'm in the room (just because I walk by the door with my phone).

PP78 - Ah, so you're saying I need to open up an app on my phone and do something in order to unlock the door. So, walking around inside the room w/out opening that app won't unlock the door? Got it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
How close to the door do I need to be in order to unlock it with my phone? With a regular key, I almost have to touch the sensor pad.

Using a BT phone, can I be 10 feet away and unlock the door? Do I need to press a button on the phone to unlock it?

Just wanting to make sure the door doesn't unlock when I'm in the room (just because I walk by the door with my phone).

PP78 - Ah, so you're saying I need to open up an app on my phone and do something in order to unlock the door. So, walking around inside the room w/out opening that app won't unlock the door? Got it.

I've never experimented with distance, I've always been at the door when I opened it. But since it uses bluetooth my guess is anywhere from a few feet to perhaps 20 or more. So far I've only used it with Hilton. You have the HHonors app, in order to unlock the door you have to open the app and then push the digital key box to turn it on. Once the door is unlocked or after some time duration the digital key grays out so you have to push it again next time you need it. There's no worry about it opening the door uncommanded, however anytime I'm in the room I use the secondary deadbolt as a safety measure anyway.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So you need to take your cell phone with you when you go for ice?

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps another example of how to complicate something that used to be simple. I am curious as to the contingency plan when technology fails.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

ETA: fixed a type Smile

Did ya now? Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

ETA: fixed a type Smile

Did ya now? Big Grin

LOL Smile

Frickin spell check.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok, got it. Need an app on the phone and must manually press a button on the phone to unlock the door. No worries about the phone unlocking the door while in the room unless I press the app button again.

I'll try it out. So, if I check-in online and use the phone based key, I don't have to stop by the front desk at all - check in or check out? That's great.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Just flip the dead bolt. Same as you would to keep the maid out etc, with a conventional lock or card key.
All hotel locks I have run across have one.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

You really don't want to be using the hotel ice maker, trust me.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post