SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had an RV, and 2 weeks to kill...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had an RV, and 2 weeks to kill... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
But you had to leave from Missouri, what would you see?

We had epic plans of a cross country road trip, but the RV (my father in laws) was relocated, obviously to Missouri.

We will have 4 adults, a teenager, a tweenager, and 2 or 3 dogs. Ages range 10-75.

I think my FIL has a state park pass, so any good state parks around?

I don't see us doing a lot of driving around (Mt. Rushmore, Grand Canyon) so anything close within a day or two drive in all directions would be ideal.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Ozarks National Park and Scenic Byway. My grandfather raved about that trip in his RV.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
You can go anywhere in the US by car within 18-24hrs from Missouri, so your options are endless.
Gulf Shores, Smoky Mountains, Destin, all within a 12 hr drive.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
We are looking to do a "relaxing" trip. Not that we have to see everything.

So if we find a campground we like, we might stay 2 or 3 days.

Just want us to see a few things America has to offer.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Minnesota.

Do some camping, fishing and cooking. Incredible scenery over the summer.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Never been there, but Yellowstone is on my bucket list, then down the west coast to Yosemite and back home. That's a lot of driving though. Maybe just a ride to Great Smokey Mountains National Park and camp there.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Wherever you decide to go, try to make campground reservation ASAP. Summer is very busy for RV camping. Most CG are already booked by now. If you decide to go to Yellowstone NP, there is only one CG inside the park that have a Full Hook Up (Fishing Bridge). When we tried to go there 2 summers ago, the CG was already fully booked. But, I keep on going to their website almost every 30 minutes, everyday. Until one day, I saw an opening for the 6 days we needed. I guess someone have cancelled their reservation.

Have fun on your road trip.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
It's not for everyone, but I'd park it in Key West.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Todd's suggestion is an appealing one.

You have probably done the Missouri ones, Independence, Hannibal.

I am trying to figure out how to get to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's estate in Virginia. It's 1500 miles from here. I would stop at Andrew Jackson's place, too.

If you haven't been there DC is a history freak's paradise.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Brown county area of Indiana and a drive up the Michigan side of Lake Michigan.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Ozarks National Park and Scenic Byway. My grandfather raved about that trip in his RV.

"Park Remains Closed with Exceptions" . Flood damage.

Sounds like a good suggestion, I am saving that one for us later! Thanks

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depending on the time of year but I would pick some national parks.

High on my list would be Glacier, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Canyon Lands, Canyonlands. There are some others I'm missing I really want to see.

I would pick two or three depending on what part of the country I headed for. I would prefer to hit them in the off season. I did Zion last year in the off season and it was great. A buddy did it a few months later in the prime season and had over an hour wait from the trams that you have to take to get around the park.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Take a tour of Major League Baseball. Seeing sights between parks. Let the schedule route you to things you might not have done as stand alone trips.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Florida.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived near St. Louis and spent a lot of time on the MC in Southern MO. Mark Twain National Forest, Johnsons Shut In etc... The Ozarks area down into Arkansas is very scenic. Lake Tannycomo (sp) and Table Rock also very nice.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you get to your first National Park on the trip, have the 75-year old buy a lifetime senior pass which is $10 right now (goes up to $80 in a couple months, but that's still a buy) and I think that allows everyone in the vehicle with him or her to enter any park by using that pass. Might want to look up the details online, but it should save you some money if you're visiting a bunch of places on the same trip.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

"Park Remains Closed with Exceptions" . Flood damage.
Sounds like a good suggestion, I am saving that one for us later! Thanks

I grew up floating those rivers and they are spectacular. I'd add the Eleven Point river as it's not as busy as the Current. Don't float the Current on the weekend unless you want to party with the 20 year olds....

The rivers around here are still pretty high... but they should soon be fine.
http://www.missouriscenicriver...levenpointriver.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Minnesota.

Do some camping, fishing and cooking. Incredible scenery over the summer.

If you choose to do that, keep in mind that most of the scenery, camping and fishing opportunities are from the central to NE part of the state. Not much west of the Mississippi.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Don't go to Utah, Colorado or New Mexico. It's snowing there. What kind of tomfoolery...

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post