SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here?? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Second attempt at a bottle opener.
This is going much better.
I've been practicing moving metal but it's not as easy to do well.

Looks like I'll have the training wheels on for a while.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
It looks like you you're making some good progress in the skill department, nice stuff. I would like to get into blacksmithing but I already have too many hobbies and not enough space,time and money to add more. I'm trying to get my welding and machining skills up to snuff still.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
If I start another hobby my Wife will KILL me!! I am gonna live through YOU!! Awesome thread!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That is very cool but I have no time for something like that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
If I start another hobby my Wife will KILL me!! I am gonna live through YOU!! Awesome thread!

LoL, I'm sure this will be one of those hobbies that I never actually get close to being accomplished at.
I'm only really giving it a few hours a week as it is.
Lotsa videos from DF on YouTube in an attempt to be efficient with the time I have available.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Sorry as this is a brief hijack of your thread, but I must say absolutely beyootiful deck you got there, GB. Your work, I presume? Is it an oil finish?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Sorry as this is a brief hijack of your thread, but I must say absolutely beyootiful deck you got there, GB. Your work, I presume? Is it an oil finish?

Yeah, it's what's put my back out again.
It's an old deck (22yrs) but it's the old style pressure treated wood so I figured I'd see if I could save it.
I hand stripped it with liquid stripper & a hand scrapper.
Belt sanded with 40gr then orbital sanded it with 80gr.
Stained it with a cedar semi-transparent stain and hoped for the best.
I do have one board on the lower part that rotted & has to be replaced but I think it turned out well and will give us a few more years of use.
You can see in the lower left pic of the first photo how rough & weathered the deck was.
But it was all surface issues of layers of stain from decades of restaining & it all sanded out.

Same corner of the deck - before & after

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
This is a very cool thread.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I see you still have a section of railroad track. Mount it on a log in the VERTICAL position. When hammering on stuff it's the amount of metal directly UNDER the piece you're striking that is important.

I have a 40-pound section of rail mounted vertically that I intend to use as an anvil. I'm a beginner like you, but I took a blacksmithing class and the instructor (who knew his stuff) advised me to mount the track section in this manner. You only get a small section to work on, the side profile of the ball of the track, but it's adequate for most anything you're likely to do.

My immediate goal is to be able to make good fire steels - as in the tool you strike against a flint to get sparks to make a fire the old-fashioned way. Ultimately I'd like to make a pipe hawk from an old octagonal barrel from a single-shot Winchester.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Finished off my first two bottle openers .
Gun blued them of course !!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
Nice! But, do you even have any beer bottles around to open?

j/k I saw the O'fest haul. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Looks great Grumpy!

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My old radio operator loves the movie Young Guns & signs all his e-mails with "Pals" .
So this ones going to him & it gave mean excuse to play with lettering punches.
Not as easy as I thought it'd be.
But then none of this is as easy as it thought !! LoL !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That little railroad Anvil and its base are great. I'd like to have a setup like that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week on the way to a rifle match stopped by here to pick up some stuff for my forge.

http://refwest.com/

There were four of us in my truck, rifle cases piled up in the back... The guys in the warehouse asking about our rifles, what were doing... Believe they had just as much fun asking about our rifles as I did asking about forge stuff.

Bought a bag of Kastolite30 and some insulation. One of the guys showed me a small knife making forge they cast from Versaflow 57A for one of their customers. He gave me a torn bag of it. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, maybe cast sacrificial shelves for when forging welding flux doesn't eat through the Kastolite.

Casted this yesterday out of the Kastolite. OD 8" SonoTube, ID 6" PVC pipe with a flat. Hope it turns out, see in a few days. My idea is to put the insulation on edge in a steel tube, slide the casting in and coat it with a IR coating of some sort. Should be very efficient. Chamber will be about 360 cubic inches. The burner I'm using is design for about 450 cubic inches. Because of my elevation, guessing 360 should work well?

https://s1.postimg.org/5eoyxkmpnz/photo_60.jpg

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Made a second pair of curtain hold backs.
I need 3pr for the dinning room.
The one in the wood Vise is for quick reference.
It needs to cool off a bit around here.
Running this forge in 80°+ weather is for the birds !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
Getting closer to having the forge finished. Casting turned out great, cooked in our oven for 3hrs to somewhat cure it. Mocked up the sleeve for the burner, weld that, weld on some legs, grind/sand off the paint, re-paint with high temp black, coat casting with a reflective coating....

I plan on forging a tool first, Hardie hole cut off, learn some from that.

GrumpyBiker, make a spring for your post vice? Guy I bought my anvil from has a post vice with a broken spring I can get for cheap.

https://s1.postimg.org/4m6avii...rge_port_mock_up.jpg

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

GrumpyBiker, make a spring for your post vice? Guy I bought my anvil from has a post vice with a broken spring I can get for cheap.

I finally found where I'm going to mount the post Vise.
So once it's mounted I'm going to get to making the spring.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
Forge up and running, lots of fun! I was worried about getting it hot enough/welding temp at my altitude, looks like I'll be OK.

Mess around last night with some 1/4 x 1 1/4 flat stock folding it over..., 1/2 rebar... Have a lot to learn about moving metal, swinging a hammer.

https://s1.postimg.org/7t52zgga73/forge.jpg

Good friend has been forging straight razors for several years. He's the one who got me going with this. Been in his shop a few times whacking on hot metal. Couple pictures of one of his razor made from 1095. The hollow grind/fine edge he's able to produce is remarkable. I'll lean on him when I start heat treating.

https://s1.postimg.org/7nto2w0...zor_Hollow_grind.jpg

https://s1.postimg.org/95ckisyb3z/Vic_s_Razor.jpg

posted Hide Post
Made a bunch of stakes out of 3/8 rebar for my homebrew IPSC stands. Tried to get the 3" diameter circles as perfect as I could. Kept checking against the circle drawn on the anvil. Feels good in the hand pushing them down in the dirt. Elementary project, learn some stuff, had fun!

https://s1.postimg.org/45a6ikv...IPSC_Stand_Stake.jpg

https://s1.postimg.org/29xlpyrnrj/IPSC_Stand.jpg

While waiting to get my snow tires put on at our local shop this AM, dug through their metal scrap pile. Snagged a 1 1/4 shaft to forge a Hardie hole hot cutoff. That will be a bit more challenging for sure.