SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here?? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I saw a clip about a "soup can" forge & that sent me searching.
There was this Coffee Can Forge that seemed better for a person to heat up metal for small projects & I got interested.

I decided to make one out of a larger Can & im kind of impressed. In the past I've burned thru a bunch of MAP gas heating up metal for small projects having seen the prices on manufactured forges.

Anyone else make one of these ?

Mine needed a tweak but it's better than I expected !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
That is full of awesome!

I have everything needed for 'lost wax' metal casting. Wax, molds, MAP gas, investment, pickle, tools, and such. But I have no way to heat silver or gold to pour into my molds. Nor do I have the heat necessary to cure my molds.

I must own one of those!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I've done a VERY little bit of blacksmithing. But it was with a local blacksmith organization and they had a coal fire with hand crank bellows. Hammers and a good anvil are your best friends.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
I made a nice forge out of an old 20lb propane canister. Just looked at a few youtube videos (I love the internet). Lined it with refractory wool, firebricks as floor, and covered the whole inside with Satanite. Bought a propane forge torch online. It probably gets to 2300 degrees, certainly more than enough for my emerging knife-forging hobby.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I took a bunch of pics thru the process of making this.
I can post but I was seriously surprised at how cheap it is to make one of these things.

I'm under no misconceptions about this thing.
I have no idea how long they last (part of my reason for the post) but for the money I thought it was a nice way to dip your toe in the water & see if you really want to invest the money for a more serious forge.

Materials to make this was $16.51
I have a torch but it wasn't adjustable so that added $40 .
But it was still under $60.

I already have a couple of Anvils , some hammers and a couple Hardy accessories , but I'm going to an estate auction in Amish Country to pick up some tongs.
Long handled pliers are okay but I need tongs.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Really cool project! Might have to try that some time. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
It takes about 3mins to heat up a large bolt once the forge is hot.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My Salmon River country knife making buddy started his forging career building one out of an old log truck brake drum, cut some slots in side, added couple stout handles & screw-on leg sockets. Lined it with mud & attached junked hair drying for blower. Used it in his bus for years on many projects.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Forgery is illegal.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun! What are you going to make?

I've got way too many projects going right now, but seeing that makes me want to start another Big Grin

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am pretty intrigued by this as well. But finding an affordable old anvil might be pretty tough these day's Razz

So can you do something other than a torch for heat. Like coal or charcoal, etc?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am pretty intrigued by this as well. But finding an affordable old anvil might be pretty tough these day's Razz

So can you do something other than a torch for heat. Like coal or charcoal, etc?

Actually there are smaller Anvils made from RR track.
I have one myself.

This is one I picked up for $30 as it was rough.

I've been cleaning it up using an angle grinder with flap pad sanding disks.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Looks like fun! What are you going to make?
Big Grin

These are a few ideas I'm wanting to make .

And a couple knives made from rebar

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Wow. You put a lot of time into that anvil to clean it up. Looks good.

Looks like Blacksmithing would be a fun hobby to have. It helps to have a smidgen of creativity though. Someting I'm missing.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Just getting into it. Interested in learning how to forge axe heads, fold over/forge weld... forge knives.

Pick up this Peter Wright anvil, welded up a stand. Bought a Chile Forge 1" burner. Build a forge soon.

Messed around with the burner some, trying different size orifices. At my altitude choked down the size of hole a couple steps to get a flame to look like this. It will be different I'm sure once inside the forge.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GrumpyBiker,

Not sure if this is something you would be interested in. Friend suggested this as good project, lesson in moving metal... Blacksmith in the video sure makes it look easy, not a wasted hammer blow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv00glIguj8

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting solution, I like it. I can't wait to have the space to set up a shop again.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I got lucky and traded for a NC Tool Forge with my anvil . I am in the process of building a coal forge (I am also learning simple mig welding.) My wife was like "why is there a brake drum by the front door..."

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I've seen kits where you assemble your own tongs.
Has anyone done that or did you buy pre-made ones?

Also I'm getting my Anvil base put together.
Using iron banding & hand cut nails leftover from another project.

Also cutting in some mounting curves into my Anvil.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Those rebar knives are really neat.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post