SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here?? Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I love this thread. Smile

Agreed.

I'll live vicariously through this. I'd love to learn the skill, but circumstances say "no", so I'll see what cool stuff other people come up with!

Me too!

Dad's got 2 anvils (one was his grandfathers) - I'm thinking I'll end up with at least one of those at some point in time. Hoping to eventually move out to the country and have a decent sized pole barn to work play in, but until then I'll continue look at threads like this and learn/dream.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I have decided to commit to this new hobby.
Enough that I ordered a 150K degree forge burner & build two new Forges.
First being a K26 brick forge and later when I replace my shop air compressor, a welded steel & Ceramic wool forge.
I have 12"x 48" of 8# ceramic wool insulation already but have decided to build a smaller Fire Brick forge as I want to build a twin burner setup for the larger one.
I have 3,000degree refractory ordered from Amazon but this 2,000degree mini tub will help seal my little can forge until the new one is built & sealer is cured.

What burner did you go with? Size?

My forge plan. 12" diameter steel tube, Ceramic Wool, 3/4" layer of Kastolite 3000, Reflective coating, 1" burner, 350+/- cubic inch chamber.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The brick type I'll be using on my next forge is Straight Hard Fire Brick - 9.0"x4.5"x2.5"
Rated to 3000°F.

I went with a stainless Mongo burner with a .025 jet.
30psi regulator & gauged hose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Test fired the new Mongo burner today.
Amazing the difference.
This thing really runs nice after a little tuning.

[ I'll be updating this thread shortly having switched to a new hosting site]

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Finally decided to sign up on YouTube so I can post videos easier.

Here's the Mini Mongo in action

https://youtu.be/TVJhB-TacL4

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since he passed away, but DIY'ers should check out Dave Gingery's books. Everything from casting your own aluminum parts to building tools.
http://gingerybooks.com/

some available on Amazon too,.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the video.

When tuning my burner in free air I was a little surprised how much moving the stepped collar in/out on the end made a difference in the flame pattern.

At my altitude, how long it takes to boil water on a 21,000 BTU stove burner...concerned how this is going to work. If it doesn't work well, plan B, blown ribbon burner.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That mini-mongo is like an F-16 on afterburner. Hurry up and make a knife or battle axe. Cool

If I had the space and time, this would bee a cool hobby to get into...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Once the forge is made or bought there's not much space needed.
All my stuff fits in a rolling foot locker.
Edit- well except for the anvil & stand.

Dry fitted the forge yesterday and cut the metal for the frame.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
YouTube video of the dry fit.
Starting the welding of the frame.

https://youtu.be/-9rA19KeXYE

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Began welding up the frame for my forge.

Tacking things together

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Color me envious.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

There's a gorilla in your workshop! Big Grin

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Maybe a trunk monkey !!!

-—-----------------------------

Drilling & Tapping time for the burner holder

Ready for welding

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Forge is done.
But I had to order a longer hose to get the tank on the floor !
Burner test tomorrow.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I did an earlier post on article written about a young man named Alec Steele and the YouTube channel he is running out of England. I also shared how I had started my journey into blacksmithing by working with a student/ veteran who is a Bladesmith. He traded me an M4 and I sold a pistol to pay for a 300lb. Hay-Budden anvil, a Propane forge, a small pole vice and I was up and running.

My first attempt at a basic hook, it is now attached my office as my coat hook:

My first tool, it is a small sapling stump puller. (huckleberry also got in on the picture) I am clearing a path around my house and it is coming in quite handy:

And finally, a heavier hook for hanging in the shop, I plan on making a few of these for hanging tools, and supplies on. Yes it is far far cheaper to just by hooks, but I am practicing a skill that is apparently very important as a foundation of blacksmithing (scrolls and tapers). Oh, one more thing about it, I drifted those two holes. Smile

I will be moving my tool shed and reworking it as a small shop. I have a cheap grinder, belt grinder, and drill press. and just picked up a bigger pole vice at the flea market. I should have the stump setup and the vice repaired and mounted soon. Man am I having fun. Thanks for letting me share it with you guys.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Fired up the burner in the forge.
3.5 mins to get a 5/6" bar yellow hot.
So it seems to be real close to where I want it.
Still running 8-10psi and I installed a hook in the side of the cabinet to hold up the weight of the 16' steel braided hose.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Got the burner all dialed in and I'm ready for my first project out of this thing.
Still need a couple Carbon Monoxide detectors.
I'm also thinking of adding a ceiling exhaust fan so I can crack the doors leading to the garage for fresh air & vent the bad.

$200 total into making the forge (bricks, refractory cement & metal) & buying the burner, regulator, hose & shut off.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My wife put in her order for 3 pair of curtain hold backs.
I made a set 8-10 yrs back so I figured it was a safe 1st project.

It's a start.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
First attempt at a bottle opener.
Only had an hour to spend in the shop before dinner tonight.
But I got it to the halfway point.
Should be able to get some time to finish it this weekend.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%