SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here??
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any DIY / Hobby Blacksmiths here?? Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I love this thread. Smile

Agreed.

I'll live vicariously through this. I'd love to learn the skill, but circumstances say "no", so I'll see what cool stuff other people come up with!

Me too!

Dad's got 2 anvils (one was his grandfathers) - I'm thinking I'll end up with at least one of those at some point in time. Hoping to eventually move out to the country and have a decent sized pole barn to work play in, but until then I'll continue look at threads like this and learn/dream.

Posts: 1026 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I have decided to commit to this new hobby.
Enough that I ordered a 150K degree forge burner & build two new Forges.
First being a K26 brick forge and later when I replace my shop air compressor, a welded steel & Ceramic wool forge.
I have 12"x 48" of 8# ceramic wool insulation already but have decided to build a smaller Fire Brick forge as I want to build a twin burner setup for the larger one.
I have 3,000degree refractory ordered from Amazon but this 2,000degree mini tub will help seal my little can forge until the new one is built & sealer is cured.

What burner did you go with? Size?

My forge plan. 12" diameter steel tube, Ceramic Wool, 3/4" layer of Kastolite 3000, Reflective coating, 1" burner, 350+/- cubic inch chamber.

Posts: 2310 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The brick type I'll be using on my next forge is Straight Hard Fire Brick - 9.0"x4.5"x2.5"
Rated to 3000°F.

I went with a stainless Mongo burner with a .025 jet.
30psi regulator & gauged hose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

"He's a Mean Motor Scooter & a Bad Go Getter !"

Posts: 5403 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Test fired the new Mongo burner today.
Amazing the difference.
This thing really runs nice after a little tuning.

[ I'll be updating this thread shortly having switched to a new hosting site]

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

Posts: 5403 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Finally decided to sign up on YouTube so I can post videos easier.

Here's the Mini Mongo in action

https://youtu.be/TVJhB-TacL4

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since he passed away, but DIY'ers should check out Dave Gingery's books. Everything from casting your own aluminum parts to building tools.
http://gingerybooks.com/

some available on Amazon too,.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 15916 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the video.

When tuning my burner in free air I was a little surprised how much moving the stepped collar in/out on the end made a difference in the flame pattern.

At my altitude, how long it takes to boil water on a 21,000 BTU stove burner...concerned how this is going to work. If it doesn't work well, plan B, blown ribbon burner.

Posts: 2310 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post