SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New 2019 Honda Monkey motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 2019 Honda Monkey motorcycle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
What to they mean by “semi automatic”? Auto clutch with manual shifting?

That's what I take it to mean. All the old trail bikes (trail 50, 70,90,110) I've ridden had that set up as well as the 70s/early 80s ATCs (three wheelers) that used the same motors with pull starts rather than kick start.

Honda got serious mileage out of that engine design back then.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If if is auto clutch that’s a brilliant move. Those are easy to learn and are great in traffic. They are also pretty fun to ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If if is auto clutch that’s a brilliant move. Those are easy to learn and are great in traffic. They are also pretty fun to ride.

Not sure if it would translate to a bike like this, but I also liked having the High/Low range selector on the trail bikes.

If someone was fixin to go do some tight woods trail riding, that could be fun.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I like them both but around here at least it appears the Cub might be a slow seller. Local dealer says there's lots of interest in the Monkey and they have 18 on their initial order with a list of people to call when they come in. Has two Cubs on order and no one to call when they arrive.

I'm waiting for the Trail 125, hope they incorporate the two range 4-speed transmission like the originals.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love the retro looks of it and the Cub.

Most modern bikes are too fugly, too spacey, or too Anime-ish for me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in the Trail 125, as well.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
What to they mean by “semi automatic”? Auto clutch with manual shifting?

It’s probably similar to the old centrifugal clutch on the old Honda Trail 90/110s. Great system IMO.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the bike I learned to ride on. A Gemini 50, with a 4 speed auto clutch (I think, it's been 40 yrs ago). It had the fat little tires, the fold down handle bars so I could be tied to the back of a camper.

I still remember my older brother teaching me and my middle brother how to ride. My middle brother went for his first ride, couldn't grasp the brake concept, so instead of hitting the brakes, he hit the gas, and rode through someone's picket fence. The bike won. Good times.

This is a nostalgia bike for me. I even showed it to my wife. I could easily be talked into buying one to putt around the neighborhood. My kids do a lot of side jobs around my neighborhood (dog walking/sitting, lawn mowing, general labor), and this could be a GREAT IDEA (for me) to get them to a job sight quickly. It's a fairly large, hilly neighborhood. Notice how I'm talking myself into this...

If you've ever seen the price of these nostalgia bikes, they are semi-collector items, and hold their value well. People will pay a lot to relive their old memories, myself included.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I doubt I’ll ever see retro renderings of my old KE100 since tiny street legal two strokes are not likely to ever make a comeback.

I could never really warm up to the aesthetics of the Grom. The Monkey on the othehand just looks cool. I love the retro vibe. I don’t know if I’ll buy one new or wait for a used example in a year or so but I’ll probably scoop one up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Stick, I'm referring to restored bikes. I saw a Gemini 50 awhile back, sold for $6,000.

My Gemini's gas tank rusted out, we couldn't find parts for it, so my dad dropped it off at the dump.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It depends. Sometimes you can find clean original classics at surprisingly good prices. Certain models do have more of a following though and are beginning to go up in value.

Restoring and flipping bikes is a tough buisness. I have a friend in Portsmouth who does it and only makes money because he does all the work himself. He gravitates towards two strokes which are a slightly more simple engine to tear apart and fix. I still regret not buying or trading for a RD400 he had completely restored. He practically has a motorcycle junkyard and never keeps a running bike for longer than 6 months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Dammit Stick, I'm sending you a bill!!!

http://www.britishcyclerepair....70_Gemini_SST_2.html

My Grail bike is an '86 GSXR 750. I passed one up for $4500, that was in excellent shape, original owner, low miles. I'm still kicking myself in the ass about that.

http://raresportbikesforsale.c...986-suzuki-gsxr-750/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a neat little bike. Hard to beat the small mill thrill.

Those old Gixxers are getting hard to find, especially one that is clean and hasn’t been down a few times. I haven’t seen any around here in a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Stick, you'd love this. I had a customer that was the original owner of an RZ350 Kenny Roberts Special.

Although the bike was not show room perfect, it was pretty damn close. I believe they were the last street legal two stroke sport bikes imported to the US.

I told him to let me know if he ever wanted to sell. I've lost touch with him...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those are very cool bikes. I’d love to have an RZ but they are incredibly difficult to find and tend to be one of those examples that has really shot up in value. I love the old two strokes. The sound and smell is unlike anything on the market right now. It’s a bye gone era that I never knew (I wasn’t alive) but I really wish I had known.

I’ve thought about getting a RGV or NSR imported from Japan but maintaining a JDM two stroke sportbike and sourcing parts sounds like it could be difficult and time consuming. There is a company in Delaware that will import anything you want but it’s a lot of money for a high revving 250cc two stroke. Probably tons of fun but it comes at a price.

The Honda Monkey seems like a great bike to let my friends who are interested in motorcycles try out. It’s so small and light it would be a great bike for beginners to try. It also just looks damn cool. I think Honda is going to sell a ton of em.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Probably the one I most regret selling.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I can see how that thing might be a hoot, but I'm also thinking that, at 6'4" tall, I'd look a bit like Arte Johnson on the tricycle on Laugh-In Razz

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Probably the one I most regret selling.

2 stroke FTW!

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
2 stroke FTW!

I know and absolutely mint stock condition with 2,100 miles. Dumb, dumb....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
2 stroke FTW!

I know and absolutely mint stock condition with 2,100 miles. Dumb, dumb....
OH! That hurts me and it wasn't even mine. I had a Banshee with that motor in it and the acceleration and Howl was intoxicating.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post