SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New 2019 Honda Monkey motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 2019 Honda Monkey motorcycle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had not even heard of these until my wife mentioned that she'd like one by next spring. They really look like fun.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I’m way too tall to ride that thing. It does look like it would be fun for someone shorter than 5’8” though.

30.6" seat height. Not much different from a standard motorcycle. 45.5" wheelbase is much shorter though.

Seat height isn’t usually the problem for us tall guys.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3966 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
At that price point, no way! You can buy a new Yamaha TW200 for $4k Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
At that price point, no way! You can buy a new Yamaha TW200 for $4k Roll Eyes

There are plenty of used bikes with more power for less. I like the looks but I would not ride anything smaller than a 600 for that much money.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Wow that TW 200 Yamaha does look nice.

https://www.yamahamotorsports....l-sport/models/tw200

Large wide tires seem like a good idea

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Scrambler style pipes are cool. As long as you don’t remove the heat shield you will be fine. My first bike had one.

I finally saw one of these in the wild while in Australia touring Melbourne with a fellow sigforum member. The Monkey is a SWEEEET little bike. I’m tempted to get one.

I have a 1970 Honda CT90 that has a similar pipe. I got a pretty good burn on the inside of my leg once when I was riding it in shorts with the heat shield removed (while working on the bike a little bit at a time), but wearing pants or with the heat shield on I never had a problem.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t take off the heat shields and you will be fine.

Look how many Triumph Scramblers and ‘Guzzi’s they sell with the high mufflers.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Scrambler style pipes are cool. As long as you don’t remove the heat shield you will be fine. My first bike had one.

I finally saw one of these in the wild while in Australia touring Melbourne with a fellow sigforum member. The Monkey is a SWEEEET little bike. I’m tempted to get one.

I have a 1970 Honda CT90 that has a similar pipe. I got a pretty good burn on the inside of my leg once when I was riding it in shorts with the heat shield removed (while working on the bike a little bit at a time), but wearing pants or with the heat shield on I never had a problem.

Yep. I've got a '70 Trail 90 as well and I love it. The dang thing will climb trees. I've been made fun of riding it around town as it's so little and I'm 6'2", but screw 'em. It's fun. Big Grin

I love it during hunting season as I can take it back into places my 4-wheeler won't/can't go.

I think this is a great idea by Honda. The $4K is a little steep, but I think they'll sell a lot of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Though compact, not light at 231 lbs. My 2005 250 Nighthawk in 287lbs and likely much more highway capable. Probably about $1500 used for a good one.

If the Monkey was light enough to be carried, then it would really be cool.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
New bikes are getting more and more expensive. Any new bike is going to be a few grand more than the used market. For what it is I think the Monkey is priced about right.

The new street legal CRF450L is the Honda I’m most excited to see. I wonder if we will see a supermoto variant? This would be tons of fun....it might even motivate Suzuki to get off their ass and make a new DRZ400SM. That thing is waaaaaaaaaaay overdue for a refresh and injection of modern technology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21103 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
New bikes are getting more and more expensive. Any new bike is going to be a few grand more than the used market. For what it is I think the Monkey is priced about right.

The new street legal CRF450L is the Honda I’m most excited to see. I wonder if we will see a supermoto variant? This would be tons of fun....it might even motivate Suzuki to get off their ass and make a new DRZ400SM. That thing is waaaaaaaaaaay overdue for a refresh and injection of modern technology.

Now that I like but over ten grand? I guess I’m out of touch on pricing. I’d like to buy a new side by side but those can cost more than cars. For me used would be the best option. I regularly see good deals on used street bikes.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A bit spendy for what it is, but it looks super fun.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has the same engine as the Grom but with a retro minibike appearance.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think these would be perfect for RV’s....just load it up on a smaller trailer or rack and have the ability to up and go when you park the beast. Similar to those RV’s that gave the smart cars that come out of the back.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I think these would be perfect for RV’s....just load it up on a smaller trailer or rack and have the ability to up and go when you park the beast. Similar to those RV’s that gave the smart cars that come out of the back.

I have a little rack that fits into my hitch. I can roll my Trail 90 right up onto it, tie it down, and off I go.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The TW200 someone mentioned has drum brakes and a carburetor. The new monkey is pretty high tech with fuel injection and LED light package.

Its a pretty cool bike, would be a lot of fun around town. Honda will sell every last one of them.

I have a Yamaha XT250 which is a pretty nice similar size bike. Fuel injection, disk brakes, runs great. Tops out at about 68mph or so. And 76 mpg is awesome when the fuel supply collapses for whatever reason. I paid $3000 for mine with about 1500 miles on it in brand new condition, over $2000 off from new. First owner took the depreciation.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yepp. Even with what at first seems like a somewhat high price tag I believe Honda will end up selling a ton of these bikes.

It’s so light and small I could probably throw it in the storage compartment in the back of my minivan. I’d love to have a small street legal bike I could easily bring along on vacations to the beach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21103 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Damn the new super cub looks cool too. Looks like a great scooter alternative. Bigger bike but same engine as the monkey and the Grom.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Damn the new super cub looks cool too. Looks like a great scooter alternative. Bigger bike but same engine as the monkey and the Grom.
The All-New 2019 Super Cub

124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Four-speed semi-automatic
programed fuel injection (PGM-FI)
Fuel capacity :1.0 gallon
covered chain
Miles per gallon TBD
Model ID: C125A

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What to they mean by “semi automatic”? Auto clutch with manual shifting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~