SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter & Archery - Summer Sizzle Tournament - Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter & Archery - Summer Sizzle Tournament - Update Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
First day of the Summer Sizzle and the 25 meter component is done. Gotta' brag on the kid, shooting up one full age division in Cub, she's solidly in 1st place. A little off her national record score from last year, but she's doing great trying to incorporate everything she learned at the Dream Team Camp this summer.

As a coach it's been a great tournament. All of our archers are doing phenomenal, no meltdowns, no tears and some strong performances.

One of my personally coached students exceeded the goal he had set for himself today. He had a boneheaded mistake in the first round and shot an arrow in the wrong target dropping him from 5th to DFL in the division. He shot a new personal best and started to climb out of the hole in the second round.

My daughter's best friend on the team is shooting in her first tournament. She turned in a solid performance sitting in 3rd only 2 points out of 2nd. Really hoping to see my daughter and her post a 1-2 finish in the division tomorrow.

I had some of the most fun ever at a tournament this afternoon watching the battle on bale 7 during the 2nd round. Bale 7 was my daughter, 2 archers from our team the 4th was from a rival team. Only 2 of them were in direct competition with each other. But the 4 made it a competition between them on the bale. During a 300 point round and countless lead changes, 4 points was the maximum that separated them from one another at any one time for the complete round. It was great watching them compete with one another, have respect for each other and have fun.

Daughter about a millisecond after release.

My student making a clean release.

My daughter's best friend on the line.

And my daughter always having to make a fashion statement, Snoopy & Woodstock Vans hightops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to the report after todays finish.

Crossed fingers here.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look forward to your posts. Can't wait to see how she did today.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy reading your daughter & archery posts.

Go Maya! Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Watching for update.... Wink

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update:

Due to my work schedule I missed all but the awards ceremony on the second day. First time I have ever missed a tournament my daughter was competing in.

Our daughter dd well, shooting up an age division she took 1st, 45 points ahead of 2nd. For her it was a fun tournament and not taken seriously. That said she's had some reflection on where she needs to improve from this weekend and wants to talk about it with her coach.

Our team did extremely well. We had 10 archers compete and 8 of them finished on the podium. The sad part is the two who didn't podium shot the highest and 3rd highest scores on our team. They just shoot in a division that is incredibly brutal. Any of the top 5 in that division are capable of or have won a national title.

I also learned some things from this weekend that we need to work on with coaching on our team as well. Six national records were broken this weekend. In a way as a coach, I feel sorry for some of my new archers just starting off in this environment. But then I'll remember that one gets better by competing against those who are better.

The quote of the weekend belongs to an archer from a rival club. She's new, had never shot in a tournament before and only had her bow for a couple of months. But she has brothers and a mother who compete and she's a very accomplished gymnast and brings that competitive attitude to archery. She started the day by stating,

"Mom, I'm in this to win this!"

Her mom reminded her that she was shooting against our daughter.

"Mom, I'm in this for second!"

Competitors, friends and teammates; 3 of the reasons why I coach all in one picture. Our daughter and her best friend on the team, Elizabeth on top of the podium in 1st & 3rd.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Update:

Due to my work schedule I missed all but the awards ceremony on the second day. First time I have ever missed a tournament my daughter was competing in.

Our daughter dd well, shooting up an age division she took 1st, 45 points ahead of 2nd. For her it was a fun tournament and not taken seriously. That said she's had some reflection on where she needs to improve from this weekend and wants to talk about it with her coach.

Our team did extremely well. We had 10 archers compete and 8 of them finished on the podium. The sad part is the two who didn't podium shot the highest and 3rd highest scores on our team. They just shoot in a division that is incredibly brutal. Any of the top 5 in that division are capable of or have won a national title.

I also learned some things from this weekend that we need to work on with coaching on our team as well. Six national records were broken this weekend. In a way as a coach, I feel sorry for some of my new archers just starting off in this environment. But then I'll remember that one gets better by competing against those who are better.

The quote of the weekend belongs to an archer from a rival club. She's new, had never shot in a tournament before and only had her bow for a couple of months. But she has brothers and a mother who compete and she's a very accomplished gymnast and brings that competitive attitude to archery. She started the day by stating,

"Mom, I'm in this to win this!"

Her mom reminded her that she was shooting against our daughter.

"Mom, I'm in this for second!"

Competitors, friends and teammates; 3 of the reasons why I coach all in one picture. Our daughter and her best friend on the team, Elizabeth on top of the podium in 1st & 3rd.

Impressive showing. 45 points is a real drubbing of the second place competitor.

Way to go Maya.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Fantastic update!
I know all too well the problems of work interfering with the really important stuff!

What a wonderful result for both Maya and your team... You are inculcating the important aspects of competition, and the winning is also fun Wink

Tell Maya to "Rock ON!"

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post