SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheet vinyl flooring question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheet vinyl flooring question Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
In the continuing saga of my two bathroom simultaneous remodel I have another question...

I'm 99% I want to do Armstrong sheet vinyl flooring in both bathrooms (same color). I don't care for the look of their "Residential" line, but actually really like the way some of their Commercial line looks.

Is there any drawbacks to using Armstrong Commercial vinyl flooring in a house?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
As long as it's a glue down product in a bathroom, and as long as you know what the maintenance is, you'll be fine. Some commercial flooring is meant to be waxed and polished, almost no homeowners do that. Just pay attention to the specs.

Commercial flooring is meant for more traffic than residential, as far as usage there is no downside.

I'll do the plank/tile. I hire someone for any roll product. I actually like the look of old school checkerboard vinyl tile. I'm weird.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
This is the one I like:

https://www.armstrongflooring....rlon/item/88701.html

Mark me weird too then.

Both bathrooms will have white vanities and white cultured marble shower/tub surround with brushed nickel metal. I think it'll work.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
As long as it's a glue down product in a bathroom, and as long as you know what the maintenance is, you'll be fine. Some commercial flooring is meant to be waxed and polished, almost no homeowners do that. Just pay attention to the specs.

Commercial flooring is meant for more traffic than residential, as far as usage there is no downside.

I'll do the plank/tile. I hire someone for any roll product. I actually like the look of old school checkerboard vinyl tile. I'm weird.

I've got the classic black and white in the kitchen of my 40's era house. Have always liked it and think it still fits in some applications.

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's really hard to get a sheet adhered properly in a small space like a bathroom and work out any bubbles, and quite honestly looks cheap. If you're remodeling the bathroom, do it right and at least put nice tile or travertine or granite or something nice. It's such a small area why skimp to save 20% on an entire bathroom remodel by going cheap versus a bathroom that wows. The labor is 70-80% of a bathroom remodel cost.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's really hard to get a sheet adhered properly in a small space like a bathroom and work out any bubbles, and quite honestly looks cheap. If you're remodeling the bathroom, do it right and at least put nice tile or travertine or granite or something nice. It's such a small area why skimp to save 20% on an entire bathroom remodel by going cheap versus a bathroom that wows. The labor is 70-80% of a bathroom remodel cost.

Tile installation (done right) is damn expensive. It also requires upkeep and cleaning. Vinyl is easier (cheaper to have installed) and very low maintenance.

The vinyl floor that is in the bathroom right now was installed in 1974 and still is in really good shape. If high quality (Armstrong) and installed correctly I hope this one is in the same shape 44 years from now.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have installed sheet flooring in a couple of rooms, including the bath. Did it ourselves.'

Not difficult but does require some planning, and maybe a rental "roller" to get any air bubbles out.

We applied the adhesive, rolled up the vinyl and started installing it at the door, rolling it out to the far wall. Just takes a little time and attention to detail

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post