SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiking - whistle and radio?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking - whistle and radio? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
www.equipped.org
good information on many products.

you might want to consider a pocket laser as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Don't disagree -- Actually, I was initially just seeking 2 way comms. But the suggestions above led me to thinking more expansively to include 3rd party calls for help.

I'm considering that now as I evaluate possible scenarios I might encounter. I've never needed the ability in my life before (but that's not to say I didn't have the potential to need one).

It's a balance between budget and probability at the moment. But I usually err on the side of caution. So, while I think inReach may be overkill, it's still on the table. Some of the places we've hiked over this summer have been relatively remote w/out much foot traffic. I went 10 miles myself over semi-rugged trails without seeing a single person....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
www.equipped.org
good information on many products.

you might want to consider a pocket laser as well

Thanks!

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you are welcome.

our policy was,
they more days you will be gone, the more you need to let people know re: where and when.

one day tell a family member and the park ranger
2 days: family member a neighbor and the ranger
3 days:
family member , neighbor ranger and the boss at work.
and so on.

and remember to call them when you get back so as not to worry the daylights out of them

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I need to communicate that info amongst others for future trips. It occurred to me while on some of the recent hikes.

I am also thinking about a defensive weapon for large animals, just in case. I'm thinking a 19 is probably woefully insufficient. Not sure what I might encounter, but perhaps bears, mountain lions, wolfs, whatever. And obviously depends on when / where I go. Topic for another future thread Smile

posted Hide Post
I used to take my GP100 and two reloads (12 bullets), but we were very careful about stopping and looking and listening.

its very, very easy to get all caught up in the wondrous beauty of the great out doors and not stay focused on the safety , situational awareness and proficiency.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
its very, very easy to get all caught up in the wondrous beauty of the great out doors and not stay focused on the safety , situational awareness and proficiency.

Yea, especially when you're old and exhausted Smile

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Konata, I feel like sometimes we're very similar people.

I went through all this stuff like 2 months ago.

Ended up with the inReach (bought the last generation made by DeLorme before Garmin bought them and jacked up the price by another $100 dollars). I figure I backpack and travel enough that the cost is justified, especially if I'm only paying for the 3 or 4 months out of the year that I'm using it.

I also got the BaoFeng UV-5R, it was like $25 dollars and is tiny. It basically lives in my bug out bag in my vehicle now.

I have a pair of the Motorola MT352R radios for like $80. They're replaced now by the T400, but they've served me well and they've exceeded my expectations. Great for communicating between vehicles when we're driving a caravan to a campsite. It looks like the T400 might be cheaper still these days.

And lastly, for a woods gun, I'm settling on a G29 in 10mm with a pinky extension, since I backpack and want the reduced weight and I can't carry more than 10 rounds in a mag anyway. If you don't care about the weight and mag capacity limitation, then I would go with the G20 for the added barrel length and 15 round capacity.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fox 40 whistles in my camping box for each kid and adult to have around their neck at all times in case they wander off. The kids know that if they blow it for fun they are in deep trouble if they are not truly lost or being eaten by a bear or a being kidnapped etc. also have one on my key ring and one in my hiking & biking day pack. You can get them online for a few dollars each. Most referrees of all sports pro and amateur use them. They are very loud. I prefer them to a whistle with a pea that may not work if the pea is wet. And plastic won't rust if it does get wet They have a model or 2 that can get to like 160Db I think. Come in every color so the ladies can have pink if they wish.

we only use the cheapie handheld Motorola radios for car to car use when caravaning to avoid texting and also sometimes txt doesn't work in the mountain areas with no cell coverage

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
https://baofengradio.us/

Check out the Baofeng UV5R radios. My Jeep club has pretty much switched over to them. They are leaps and bounds better than a CB, and pretty cheap. They have a much larger frequency range and quite a bit more transmission power than most FRS/ GMRS radios as well.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that they have the ability to transmit on more frequencies and with more power than are allowable by law without licensing, so you need to do a little research before you go nuts with them. There are probably better handhelds out there, but for the price they are great.

On the whistle front, I have a Fox 40 on one of the zipper pulls of every one of my packs. They are compact, loud as hell, and it doesn't take a whole lot of air to hit that volume.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Konata, I feel like sometimes we're very similar people.

I went through all this stuff like 2 months ago.

And lastly, for a woods gun, I'm settling on a G29 in 10mm with a pinky extension, since I backpack and want the reduced weight and I can't carry more than 10 rounds in a mag anyway. If you don't care about the weight and mag capacity limitation, then I would go with the G20 for the added barrel length and 15 round capacity.

Hehe. I'm old and slow. Or typically a day late and dollar short Smile

I'll keep FRS/GRMS (likely the latter) in my pocket as well as the inReach -- I'll probably buy the latest model of the latter and maybe T400 GRMS right before I actually take a trip. But I'll keep both in mind when the time comes.

Is 10mm GTG for bears? I would prefer a 10mm Glock over say a Casull capable revolver. I also have a GSSF coupon coming.... Smile

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
https://baofengradio.us/

Check out the Baofeng UV5R radios. My Jeep club has pretty much switched over to them. They are leaps and bounds better than a CB, and pretty cheap. They have a much larger frequency range and quite a bit more transmission power than most FRS/ GMRS radios as well.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that they have the ability to transmit on more frequencies and with more power than are allowable by law without licensing, so you need to do a little research before you go nuts with them. There are probably better handhelds out there, but for the price they are great.

On the whistle front, I have a Fox 40 on one of the zipper pulls of every one of my packs. They are compact, loud as hell, and it doesn't take a whole lot of air to hit that volume.

The Baofengs are illegal on frequencies other than amateur and unless used by a licensed amateur.

The one I have is distinctly more complicated to operate than the typical FRS, frustrating to program successfully.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Is 10mm GTG for bears? I would prefer a 10mm Glock over say a Casull capable revolver. I also have a GSSF coupon coming.... Smile

Hard cast lead ammo will be good for blacks and cougars. Something from Double Tap, etc.

Don't know if there's a really solution for browns that doesn't involve a shotgun. In any case, 15 rounds of hot lead makes a good deterrent to meth heads and the like too...

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I use the Markwort Storm Whistle. Pretty low pressure for volume. Have directed traffic with it often.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post