SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiking - whistle and radio?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking - whistle and radio? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Any recommendations for whistle and two way radio that can be used to communicate and call for help while hiking with a partner (i.e. Wife) when separated?

I found a couple of whistles on Prime that sound good (Fox 40, Michael Josh, Heimdall) but would appreciate tried and true recommendations.

Also recommendations on radios for two way comms when cell phones don't work? Too many choices.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Fox 40 is good to go.

For radios, your are basically going to be using FRS and GMRS (with a small licensing fee). If you don't need fully submersible (no kayaking, rafting) then the Motorola T400 is my pick as it gets weather service, USB rechargeable, and can run off of AA batteries. T200 series if you are price sensitive.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Where are you hiking? How far from civilization? How far apart?

I bought a number of FRS/GMRS radios for our group to use while hiking Grand Canyon. Radio communication from rim to river is excellent, and even rim to rim, line of sight.

What rendered them essentially useless were the operators. Every year, I would brief them on use, how to tune, set tones, turn on/off, buttons to push, etc.

In the event, it was pretty much a fiasco. It wasn't reliable. When everyone returned to the rim, I would ask, did you hear me call, or did you try to call so and so. Each time, incompetence from inexperience resulted in not getting the radio to operate properly.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I each have a Fox 40.

When I was coaching water polo I was informed the amount of energy required for the decibel (ie, less energy for same volume of sound) was less that other whistles. My concern was her exhausted and not having enough energy to be heard with a conventional whistle.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fox 40 it is. Thx.

I'll check on the Moto radios. Likely be used when hiking in places like national forests - Yosemite, Tahoe and the like. Probably also while kayaking, bays and big lakes.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The FRS/GMRS radios are probably best for this situation.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whistle don't think it makes much of a difference. Radio it really depends on your budget, willingness to preplan (like GMRS license or other) and terrain.
I hate FRS in any populated area, but in the real wilderness its usable. The increased power on GMRS is even better. Ham even better.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Whistle basher!!!! Big Grin

Now I'm not bashing the Fox 40, but I'm asking an honest question. I had one of those for many years and probably do somewhere still. But I always wondered is it really any louder, or is it just the way it's designed, the sound from those two angles ports goes straight to your ears and makes it sound louder to the blower? Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not to be paranoid but I'd think you both would be staying within earshot of each other?

There may be reason to have communication with outside resources, depending on where & type of hiking.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This is something that I have thought a lot of because my wife and I are getting more off the grid when we travel "....

FRS radios are good for a mile or two when you are both on the same channel. We use these when we are in the same immediate area but to my knowledge rescue personnel do not monitor these channels.

If we are out hiking/kayaking/boondocking in an area where we don't have cell coverage we ALWAYS take our Garmin InReach satellite based communication device. It requires a subscription but you can communicate (via texts) with a dedicated rescue group anywhere in the world to summon help.
If you are serious about being able to summon help in the boonies this is the best choice out there....

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

IMHO...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Probably way overkill for your needs, but we use a Garmin Rino when hunting in the wilderness area. We are several miles from the nearest trail head, and I don't want to get lost. Everyone in our hunting group has one. FRS/GMRS.

They take a micro USB card for maps. I think mine includes Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. Cards are available at REI and other similar places.

The 550 and 650 are still good units and are cheaper than the latest and greatest 750.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/82798

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of a whistle? To "yell" for help?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Basically yes. A whistle can be heard for much longer distances than a voice. And yelling for long periods of time will cause you to lose your voice, then you are screwed.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

Basically yes. A whistle can be heard for much longer distances than a voice. And yelling for long periods of time will cause you to lose your voice, then you are screwed.

We have always just fired three shots. That means "head in this direction". Three shots followed by three more shots means, "head in this direction quickly".

I don't need no stinkin' whistle.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whistles are great communication devices in the woods. We use them all the time when skiing dense trees where you generally can't see more than two or three trees away in deep snow. We have designated tweet patterns for general location, Stop I need a minute, Stop I need a while longer (stuck), and emergencies. We have yet to figure out the tweet for dead but we'll work on that Smile. Radios have their obvious benefits and some kind of satellite tracker is a must in my opinion if you really like to travel off the beaten path.

My personal whistle is a Mini Fox 40. It carries a good distance.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have never tried the Fox 40, but I might seriously consider the Acme 649 Survival Whistle, its strength being it can be sounded at maximum loudness with only half normal lung pressure, so older, younger, or disabled hikers can still get the sound out. Made in the UK by Acme, who has made whistles since the 1860's (the original Bobby's whistle), it is available at Amazon. Not related to the company often cited in a certain cartoon.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Those Garmin Rino and InReach devices are expensive but worth considering depending on actual situations I think we may find ourselves in. I'll keep them on the list for consideration - thanks for the suggestion.

Hoping to get away with something cheaper like the T400. But we'll see.

This will be used for hiking (in the US and Japan, maybe Korea), kayaking (in US lakes), mtn biking and going off road (when an SUV is purchased).

Want a device(s) that can be used to communicate between parties and also call for help to a third party (assuming no cell service -- many areas encountered in Mono Lake last week).

Thanks again all!! As usual, your collective experiences and recommendations are invaluable.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Be aware that radios are not always useable/legal in other countries. Check into the laws, what frequencies, licenses, etc. are available.

You would hate to fly into some country, start talking on your radio and discover you were jamming the police radios. That might cause some bother.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Be aware that radios are not always useable/legal in other countries. Check into the laws, what frequencies, licenses, etc. are available.

You would hate to fly into some country, start talking on your radio and discover you were jamming the police radios. That might cause some bother.

Thanks! I will try to look into that. I'll look into models that might be supported in multiple countries. Failing that, I'll try to check if a particular purchased radio is GTG in a particular country of travel before leaving.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Calling for help is an altogether different strategy than talking to each other.

The first option is a satellite communicator like the inReach or Spot. Both require a subscription. I bought the inReach and use the cheapest plan... $24 a year, plus $15 for any 30 day period I choose to use the device. Basically includes just enough prepaid messages to test the device for function before each outing, then pay a la carte for text messages beyond 3 preset messages that you can send for free. My preset messages are, "All good, proceeding as planned," "All good, minor delay or deviation from plan," and "All good, but major deviation from or aborting plan." I have the preset texts set to deliver to a family member, and each text has a map link with your position. You may also text with an emergency monitoring center for true emergencies. Works world wide, and in English, so you don't have to figure out how to summon for help over the radio in Cambodian.

The other option is to get a cheap Ham radio like the Baofeng radio, program it with the emergency channels for the area you going to be in (for instance, marine channels near lakes or oceans), and then never use it except for emergencies. It would be illegal to use without a license, and the hardware likely doesn't meet the standards required for that band, but an emergency is an emergency.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post