SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here work for CBP or live on or near the Northern borders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here work for CBP or live on or near the Northern borders Login/Join 
posted
Alright guys I'm looking for some advice and I've done google searches and have come up with nothing to answer my questions.

I currently work the the Federal Bureau of Prisons, I started in November of last year and I started with the Bureau of Prisons to stop the Federal age clock of 37, I'm currently 35 and just as a little background I was a Police Officer in Florida for 7 years prior to me starting with the Federal Prison and I've been with the prison long enough to know I don't really wanna work in a prison for the next 22 years so I've been seriously considering applying with Customs and Border Protection as they are hiring and have several openings on the northern border towns in Montana, Maine, Vermont etc. But I know the towns on the northern border are usually in remote locations so I was looking for some advice and insight on anyone who may work for CBP in one of these areas or anyone who just lives near one of the Northern border towns.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin that lives in Browning MT, about 15 miles from the border.

Anything you want me to ask, and if you want, you can email me if I can be of any assistance.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I grew up near Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It is the second largest city in the UP, although that's not saying much. Not a bad city, but not much within 75 miles of it. I will answer any questions you may have if you would like.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I will shoot you an email in a few, I'm gonna check the posting and give you a list of all the towns available to see if your cousin is familiar with any of them.

Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Anything you want me to ask, and if you want, you can email me if I can be of any assistance.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm reasonably near the crossing in Calais/St. Stephen, Maine.

I also have a little knowledge, and sources for more, about Fort Kent up in "The County".

Feel free to hit me up, be glad to do a little research for you.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
When it was still Border Patrol, my old man transferred and moved us from El Paso to a town of 5,000 people on the northern tip of New York. I don't know what has changed with the job since he retired about fifteen years ago, but the lifestyle hasn't changed. My first day at school as a highschool freshman transfer, everyone knew who I was, more specifically who my Dad was. I got frozen out from day one for #1, not being from the area for three generations, and #2, being the son of an imported federal agent. I was disavowed from the start.

Everyone will know who you are. They will tend to assume you're rich, since you're a government LEO. All the locally-sourced LEO's went to school together, married their buddies sisters and may have been distant cousins to start with. Their loyalty may not lie with you, by default, even though you wear the badge.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Email inbound.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to send you an email but I can't get the link in your profile to work, my email is in my profile if you don't mind shoot me an email.

Thanks

quote:

posted Hide Post
Not an agent but I have known quite a few. As I understand it most all new agents get forced into doing time on the Mexican border for months or years before consideration for a northern job post.
A large number of agents and comparatively few northern assignments. I could be wrong but I have never heard of a new agent being assigned to a northern post out of the gate.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Not an agent but I have known quite a few. As I understand it most all new agents get forced into doing time on the Mexican border for months or years before consideration for a northern job post.
A large number of agents and comparatively few northern assignments. I could be wrong but I have never heard of a new agent being assigned to a northern post out of the gate.

Yep, also true unless everything has changed. You'll start in El Paso, Phoenix, L.A., or points thereabouts.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
That is still true for the Border Patrol, but Customs will hire directly to the northern border.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Sig Sailor said, I believe the only CBP post of any size in the Yoop is in the Soo.
My guess is you will need to habla espanol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Customs is what I'm looking at for that very reason, I don't wanna move to South Texas, Customs is currently hiring at several northern border as well as Honolulu and the Virgin islands. Honolulu or the Virgin islands would actually be my fist pick but the cost of living there is high, I would be fine after I was there a few years but the first year or two would be kinda ruff.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Plenty of CBP in southeast Michigan.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big_gun_man:
I tried to send you an email but I can't get the link in your profile to work, my email is in my profile if you don't mind shoot me an email.

Thanks

quote:

emailed you. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
There is a pretty big Border Patrol station in Sandusky, Ohio. ALL those agents are southern border burnouts who are looking to finish their careers in some comfort and safety. All Border Patrol postings are by seniority. I have been told, but don't know for sure, that everybody starts in Texas, learns Spanish in a schol there, and is assigned after that.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I live on the Canadian border in International Falls, MN. We have both, CBP and Border Patrol. Although, I do not or have not worked for them, I have several friends that do. One was the head guy for BP but is retired.

One of the main problems keeping people here is the harsh winters(can get to -40). We are a small town of 6600. Two weeks ago a female friend that works for CBP told me they had 2200 vehicles come through in an eight hour shift.

It is a very slow paced job here. Very few arrests. Lots of water that separates us from Canada. A lot of the CBP officers that work here are native Minnesotans.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Just a point of order: Border Patrol Agents (BPA) and Customs and Border Protection Officers (CBPO) both fall under CBP. CBPOs fall under the Office of Field Operations (OFO) and BPAs fall under US Border Patrol (USBP).

So on a family tree type chart OFO and USBP would be the children of CBP.

Get it?

Carry on.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My cousin replied:

"Sweet Grass has housing and towns thirty miles away north or south. It is one of the main crossings with an interstate Hwy. Straight south on the highway about two hours is city of Great Falls, everything there. Pretty busy entry point.

Winter time it's like Ice Station Zebra! That is his best choice, I'd say."

Hope that helps.